PDA

View Full Version : Josephine

Graham_of_Rainham
4th February 2008, 02:04 PM
Had to spend a lot of time talking to "Security" to get to take photos around this area but, they were very nice once they knew what I was doing. So asking first paid off on this occasion...

Anyway, constructive comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Graham

Barr1e
4th February 2008, 03:16 PM
Had to spend a lot of time talking to "Security" to get to take photos around this area but, they were very nice once they knew what I was doing. So asking first paid off on this occasion...

Anyway, constructive comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Graham

Pleased you asked security - I can't comment in a critical way.

I like the shot very much.

Regards. Barr1e

Scapula Memory
4th February 2008, 03:47 PM
Essentially I think this is a nice shot. Just spent a good 10 minutes discussing it with a work buddy ( it is a slow day...) and came up with a few ideas for improvement. Just opinion mind, and definately given as constructive.

1/ I think I would try and pull some more detail out of the shadows as far as the boat goes, cannot see much texture there or colours in the flag.

2/ The first building is nicely exposed to me, I think the second building is the better looking and would appeal more if it were sharper. The third at the back is fine and completes that side of the picture nicely.

3. I might be tempted to remove the rope! Not sure if the angle of the rope adds any value to the overall shot.

4/ Let Musicman edit it! He has a knack of adding a certain something to images, did you see what he did to Garries castle pic in Scotland?

The reflections in the water are nice, and overall as it is the picture is pretty good.

regards

John.

Haisbro
4th February 2008, 03:53 PM
Nice shot, i like the rope and chain, i think i would try a version where the far buildings complete reflection is in the water and lose some of the height in the building on the left. How about at night/dusk?

H

Graham_of_Rainham
4th February 2008, 04:04 PM
John,

This is just what I was after... I really do appreciate that you took the time to review this picture and post such extensive comments. There seems to me to be quite a difference in what I'm seeing in this image to the original RAW image. If anyone can provide hints on the best way to convert RAW for posting on this site, that would help considerably.

Thanks

Graham

PS If anyone wants to edit, enhance or in any other way play with my pictures, for review purposes, they are completely free to do so...

Haisbro
4th February 2008, 04:11 PM
Which camera did you use, the E3 has a graduation feature when set to auto may lighten foreground.
H

Graham_of_Rainham
4th February 2008, 04:39 PM
Ok I guess I'll have to come clean, this was taken with my C-8080. I keep getting so much attention from "Security" when I'm using the E-System and Canary Wharf is all Private Property so they can ask you to leave if you go in with a Pro system. The 8080 gets almost no attention (similarly my mju725)

I know this is an E-System site but I really like my 8080, it has served me so well it's hard to give up using it, but now I have the 7-14 this will likely change.

Ellie
4th February 2008, 10:04 PM
I think it's jolly good with nice sharp detail.

Somehow it looks almost like two pictures, the building material and colour of the buildings in the distance is so different from the one in the foreground. Not a criticism, just an observation :)

ravenblack
4th February 2008, 11:28 PM
I was asked to leave also! Very politely by quite pleasant security staff! However, I also got some pretty good shots before I was asked to leave! :)
Then I contacted Canary Wharf. You must not be taking pictures for commercial reasons, and must not take any inside the buildings!
I made it clear I was a private individual interested in the buildings (as I am) and I have no interest financially or commercially in taking the pictures.

If you email this very helpful young lady I am sure she may pass on the same
very good advice I received; Julia.McLeod@CanaryWharf.com
I now have my 'permission to shoot'!

Asking permission first in areas of political or financial sensitivity is always a good idea! Even in the UK...