PDA

View Full Version : No Olympus at Focus or SWPP shows?

dbutch
4th January 2010, 05:24 PM
Looking at the exhibitor lists it appears that Olympus are not attending either the SWPP show in London next week or the Focus on Imaging show at the NEC :(

Thats a shame its always good to have a play with some of those hard to find bits, was hoping to try the EP2 with its finder.

Dave

shenstone
4th January 2010, 09:34 PM
A big shame if you ask me

I've never been to either, but I know a lot of people in the photo press do a lot of networking at these events and then Oly wonder why the front of every Mag has a Canikon on it

Regards
Andy

padgreen
4th January 2010, 10:07 PM
I normally go to Focus. Last year Olympus had the E620 which was launched during Focus (and the E30 which was only a few months old) to show.

Maybe they have nothing new to show (but then what about the EP2)? Or maybe they will be going but haven't announced that yet. I agree it would be a big shame if they weren't there.

Ian
5th January 2010, 05:46 PM
It's my understanding that Olympus won't be at Focus this year, sorry.

The bottom line is that these events are costly and everyone is counting the pennies at present. It would seem that the benefits of a Focus stand haven't stood up to the test of time. I fear that Olympus won't be the only big name camera brand deciding to give Focus a miss this year.

Olympus will be at the international PMA event in February, and Photokina in Cologne in September.

Ian

alert_bri
6th January 2010, 10:07 AM
Yes, it's a shame - I've enjoyed getting along to the last couple of FOI events...

I've just checked, and Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fujifilm, Ricoh, Phase One, even Sigma are all booked in... which big name camera brand did you have in mind Ian?

Cheers

Brian

alert_bri
7th January 2010, 12:08 PM
The only moderately big name I can think of myself would be Pentax... I don't know whether they were there last year though?

Cheers

Brian

skyman1
8th January 2010, 10:05 PM
That is a shame i was thinking of going still it will save me some money if i don't go Darn :(

Graham_of_Rainham
13th January 2010, 02:22 PM
It would be nice if Olympus could let us know where they will be exhibiting this year.

I enjoy going to these events, but certianly there is no insentive for me if Olympus is not there.

I'd also like to see much more "Concepts" on show (as with cars) and have always seen the customer reaction as valuable input to the future product design.

benvendetta
13th January 2010, 03:20 PM
I usually go for the bargains as much as to fondle the kit ;)
But I was lucky enough to be at the presentation the was made to the Olympus Safari Group of the E-620.
If I want bargains this year (there was a great deal on the Epson R4880 last year) I am going to have to start saving.

skyman1
4th March 2010, 10:31 PM
Is anyone going to focus?

Ian
4th March 2010, 10:37 PM
Is anyone going to focus?

I will be there on Sunday morning and Monday.

Panasonic is at the show for the first time and they will have some exciting new toys for everyone to ogle :)

Ian

benvendetta
4th March 2010, 10:39 PM
I will be there on Tuesday - don't think I could stand the Sunday!

Anyone else?

skyman1
4th March 2010, 10:56 PM
I am thinking of going but not sure what day ,annual dinner dance Sat so will not make Sunday (sore head) looks like Tuesday wil be best for me :) hoping for some bargains *yes

The Saint
5th March 2010, 08:28 AM
I'm up in Birmingham this weekend, so planning to pop into Focus for an hour or 2 on Sunday morning, even if it's just to get away from the mother-in-law! (actually she's not that bad)

Simon

The Saint
8th March 2010, 08:12 AM
Well I shouldn't have gone to Focus!

Ended up coming home with an E-PL1, not that I had planned to.

Simon

benvendetta
8th March 2010, 10:55 AM
Was it a bargain?
Any others?????
Going tomorrow.

The Saint
8th March 2010, 02:25 PM
Well I didn't think it was bad, 480 including 14-42, the 4/3 converter and a lovely bag, that will probably never see daylight.

There wasn't much offer wise on Olympus kit, cameraworld and Jaccobs basically had lenses at normal prices, there was a little bit off the P-1 and P-2. I didn't really look at the price of the other E-system cameras.

There was some quite good prices on Epson printer, which I was semi tempted to get. The R2880 (the top A3 model) was 440ish and the R1400 was 205.

Panasonic have one of the largest stands there and appears to have copies on all their lenses on show.

It was quite manic, lots of pushing and shoving so didn't stay too long.

Simon