PDA

View Full Version : Sharpness issues E-620

obrugman
3rd January 2010, 12:42 PM
I'm experiencing sharpness issues in my photos ever since I've switched to an E-620 (two months now), after having used an E-500 for over three years.

Is there anyone to share some advice, to find out whether these issues are related to user settings, or whether something is not entirely ok with my camera?

Specific issues:
- jpegs: not as tack sharp as my E-500 jpgs, especially in objects more than a couple of meters away (portraits etc do appear sharp); object edges do not seem very sharp, dark areas show some noise. Sharpening those images in Apple iLife '09 doesn't help (even if this shouldn't be necessary for jpegs). Have many photos turned down by stock photo sites because of this, while before this didn't happen. Tried with IS on and off, but with no noticeable difference.
- RAW images: I also cannot get them as sharp as those of E-500 (even after sharpening in Olympus Master). Strange phenomenon: when I first load RAW images in Master (normal view or RAW developer), they appear excellently sharp, after two seconds they have a much softer look (unsharp edges that I cannot get sharpened).
- I do not see noticeable differences when using IS (set on '1'), so I am wondering what IS does at all.

help please :)

Danny
3rd January 2010, 12:55 PM
Have you tried IS on "3" and matched the focal length to that of the lens you are using?

Can you post up an example so we can see whats going with exif?

Danny

EH1
3rd January 2010, 01:14 PM
If you post some examples we would have a better idea of whats going on! :)

obrugman
3rd January 2010, 01:16 PM
@ Danny,
- Have not used IS '3', since I use Olympus lenses only (and latest camera software)
- Upload pictures: will have to do it later. Am not near the computer where I keep my photos.
thanks for responding!

Nick Temple-Fry
3rd January 2010, 01:27 PM
@ Danny,
- Have not used IS '3', since I use Olympus lenses only (and latest camera software)
- Upload pictures: will have to do it later. Am not near the computer where I keep my photos.
thanks for responding!

When you upload can you make sure the shots retain the exif data - makes it a lot easier to see what's going on.

Nick

jonsey
3rd January 2010, 05:39 PM
hi,
since i purchased my e30, im finding myself having to be extra careful as regarding focus, Sharpening and blurring issues, i did a camera reset and started again, i held the camera more steadily and reaped instant rewards, compared to my e510, the `30 needs a little more TLC, not sure what others think, you could try a higher ISO, and make sure your on Large Superfine in JPEG.???

jeff

StephenL
3rd January 2010, 06:33 PM
Like Jeff, I find my E-620 needs more care than either my old E-510 or its replacement the E-520. I found myself doubting the sharpness of lenses such as the 12-60 compared with when they were on my other cameras, until I started taking more care! Maybe it's because the sensor can render better images and thus magnifies errors?

photo_owl
3rd January 2010, 06:38 PM
the in camera settings for the 510 and 30 are very different - so a lot depends on what exactly you are comparing.

for ooc jpeg I would suggest 510 S -1 = 30 S+1 as an example.

this is also a possible reason for what the OP is seeing in OM with the 620 files. the snap preview is a base level setting and the rendered image is a reflection of the camera settings. 620 is similar to the 30

obrugman
3rd January 2010, 08:44 PM
To all who replied,
Thanks for giving much food for thought. I don't think I got sloppy just because I trust the IS to compensate, but I will pay extra attention to holding the camera. Also a good idea to do a reset, and then start tweaking settings one by one (the E-620 has so many....)

The sharpness issues occurred with ISOs 100 or 200, and also with faster shutter speeds, but as said, will pay extra attention.

Best regards,

Roberta
4th January 2010, 01:53 AM
I found if I used manual I was getting really out of focus etc then I realized it was not the cameras fault. I wear a multi focus contact in my right eye and a distance one in my left. The right is for reading (close up work) so hence the problems, so sometimes it pays to look at the user not the camera.
Roberta

jonsey
4th January 2010, 10:31 AM
Like Jeff, I find my E-620 needs more care than either my old E-510 or its replacement the E-520. I found myself doubting the sharpness of lenses such as the 12-60 compared with when they were on my other cameras, until I started taking more care! Maybe it's because the sensor can render better images and thus magnifies errors?

couldn`t agree more, my 14-54 ii was a nightmare, but when mounted on my `510, it was fab ???..

jeff