PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from E-410 ?

cinders
2nd January 2010, 01:31 PM
I've had my 410 now for 2 years and would love to upgrade it, and the 620 seems just the thing - but is it?
I love the small size and lightness of these, so the 520 wasn't so attractive. But I'm being asked to justify exactly WHY I need a different camera and is it really such a step up and WHY do I need to spend this money, and WHY is it better.
I had a quick play in a shop and though the LiveView looked great, and obviously it has more focussing spots, and the processor is better - but am slightly worried about the comments about extra noise. My only critisism of my 410 is that sometimes I get slightly soft focussing - but then that could be me, or my settings?

Also, are the standard lenses exactly the same versions as i got two years ago, or are they upgraded in any way now.

Any opinions would be appreciated....
:)

Meogeo
2nd January 2010, 02:28 PM
Hello Cinders, I have the E-510 and have been asking myself the same question, but my camera does everything I want it to, if you go to http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/index.html this guy talks about upgrading, it really depends what you want out of your camera, I for one have decided to stick with the E-510, maybe you would be better going for a new lens rather than the upgrade, like you say the 420 is a small camera and it must suit you very well.

Yes I think all the kit lenses are the same through the field.

David M
2nd January 2010, 02:30 PM
As a 410 owner I've considered picking up a 620/600 body. The advantages for me is that the 620/600 has IS and a tilt/swivel screen. It also has a slightly bigger viewfinder with the info at the bottom and takes the same battery as the 410.

The kit lenses are the same so you could look for a body only deal.

crimbo
2nd January 2010, 03:09 PM
Well I upgraded from the 400 to 620...first thing to note is that they take the same battery so its a natural progression.
The IS I am finding a boon...didnt realise how much of a small tremor I had - age!.
At present you get a battery grip and second battery...I thought what do I need that bulky battery grip for...It hasnt come off the camera...
Dont use the live view too much except for astronomy focussing and occasionally odd angles...but that tilting screen means it mainly tucked away and protected and the main camera changes are done with the function buttion and the viewfinder display...
Only you know if it is time to upgrade but at present the 620 is a very good move...wait long enough and something else will come along and then something else...

jamie allan
2nd January 2010, 03:14 PM
Hi,
I'm in the same situation. I've had an e-410 for 18 months now and have been looking to upgrade for some months. I bought a 70-300mm lens and found I could only get decent images at 300mm with the use of a tripod or monopod - so I've been looking for something with IS. I've looked at 2nd hand 510s and new 520/600/620s. A new 520 body can be had for around 300 whereas a 600 with 14-42mm is 400 and a 620 with 14-42 and free grip and battery for 530. I can go to the 300 cost of the 520 but don't know how much of a trick I'd be missing by not going for the 600/620 - which would stretch my finances. The other issue is I've never held a 520 - there is nowhere round here stocks them.
Jamie

jonesy
2nd January 2010, 03:14 PM
It was the IS that was one of the things that helped sway my mind. I recently upgraded from the 410 to the 620, and even though I havent used the camera much, I really like the look and feel

TheStrummer
2nd January 2010, 03:49 PM
I too upgraded from an e410, and to be honest, at the start, I was beginning to wonder why I had. Though after a few minor tweaks in the settings, I have found the e620 to be an excellent camera, and I am extremely happy with it!

Jonesgj
2nd January 2010, 03:56 PM
You may find interesting additional discussions here:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6851

This was a 510 to 620 upgrade thread, but there's lots of interesting stuff.

Incidentally, I have owned a 300, 420 (my sons), 500, 510, 520, 620 and 3 - no 'bad cameras', and (most importantly) have a very understanable wife!

Some of the key reasons I upgraded:

E-510 IS and IQ is fabulous.
E-520 gave me remote control over Flash (my first brand new dSLR!)
E-620 gave me tilt and swivel 2.7" LCD +
E-3 Monsoon proof! big view finder and best images I have ever produced.

May be worth joining the Olympus UK Photo Safari Group (OUKPSG) and going along to one of the meets we have. I was able to try cameras and lenses during the days 'meet' and this is the best way to tell whether its for you or not.

Alternatively, there will be more E-systems meets this year and another opportunity to look and feel the new products.

Finally, you could look at upgrading your lenses. Bodies come and go but good lenses ...

Hope this helps

Graydon

cinders
2nd January 2010, 07:21 PM
Well this all helps a bit. I still like the features that the 610 offers, like the tilting view screen and the IS, but I still need to really justify it, and of course I need to find a good deal on my 410 body to be able to even start to afford it!

Keep the comments coming and I'll check back...

Thanks all.
*chr

David M
2nd January 2010, 07:37 PM
Well this all helps a bit. I still like the features that the 610 offers, like the tilting view screen and the IS, but I still need to really justify it, and of course I need to find a good deal on my 410 body to be able to even start to afford it!

Keep the comments coming and I'll check back...

Thanks all.
*chr

Check out what features were stripped from the 620 for the 600. If you don't need any of the missing features a 600 would be cheaper.

Danny
2nd January 2010, 10:40 PM
i went from 410 to 620 and havent looked back, great camera with loads of features, even in camera scene modes.