PDA

View Full Version : E620 w/25mm Pancake

TheStrummer
1st January 2010, 08:26 PM
Does anyone use this combination? If so, what's the verdict? I'm thinking of investing in a pancake for some of my gig shooting...!

Clair

crimbo
2nd January 2010, 05:50 AM
Yep ... I use this at times...
useful for backstage stuff IMHO

Mr Jones
2nd January 2010, 08:51 AM
Not tried gig photography with the pancake (however I have used this combo to smuggle my DSLR into Wembley Arena for 'Walking with Dinosaur'.) Useful for the low light but fixed focal length might be an issue when you're an audience.

Anyway, I do use this combo and it's BRILLIANT.
The small IS body of the E620 plus the small compact pancake, gives this camera unbelievable portability. It's also very discrete for street photography.
It's also fairly good as a macro lens, 25cm minimal focus distance if I recall correctly.

Here's a little shoot I did last month when out walkies
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7542

Have a look at my Flickr, a couple of my Stormtrooper shots were done with the 25mm. It's a cracking lens BUT like all lens, they have their limitations: one that stands out most is the +2 distortion when you shoot something with straight lines and the CA. It's quite bad if you shoot directly into subject with VERY strong backlight, like the sun. These are easily corrected though :)

TheStrummer
2nd January 2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks crimbo, that's good to know - I've got an all access pass for a gig in Feb!

Cheers Colin as well, that's been very helpful - I think I know what I'm going to be spending my tax rebate on!