PDA

View Full Version : High Key

Susan
3rd February 2008, 09:53 PM
Hiya

I've seen quite a few portrait's done in high key, can anyone advise how to create high key shots please?

Thanks
Susan

Garrie
3rd February 2008, 10:38 PM
This is a Q for MM - he is the High Key zing master..

p.s John got the develop file, will have a play in a few days time, thank you :)

Garrie
26th February 2008, 06:51 PM
This is a Q for MM - he is the High Key zing master..

Hi John,

The above is not meant to be offensive, it was a compliment :)

Just incase you though it was.

Cheers
Garrie

theMusicMan
26th February 2008, 07:18 PM
Hiya

I've seen quite a few portrait's done in high key, can anyone advise how to create high key shots please?

Thanks
SusanHey Susan - most of the kigh key shots I have taken use several flash units and a white backdrop. I did put a diagram together once that illustrated my set up when taking high key shots... I'll see if I still have it and get it posted on here for you.

What are you looking to do Sue?

Hi John,

The above is not meant to be offensive, it was a compliment :)

Just incase you though it was.

Cheers
Garrie

No offense taken at all Garrie... :) I was flattered you thought of me when high-key was mentioned... :)

theMusicMan
26th February 2008, 07:20 PM
Found it...!!! here you go Sue.. hope this helps.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/LightingSetup.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1923)

Susan
26th February 2008, 07:45 PM
Hi John

Many Thanks for posting the illustration, it really helps me with understanding the lighting.
I was just curious how the high key style shots were done more than anything else, I didn't know if the effect was created in photoshop etc from an original image. I hadn't realised it was the lighting set-up that created the high-key lighting (silly of me I know!). I think I may be thinking of photography too much on a software related level still.

We haven't got any lighting set-up here, just the halogen downlighters in the living room and cream curtain lol. I would really like to try some high key shots of our cats and Garrie. I really like the luminous lively effect that it gives.

I really appreciate you taking the time to show the layout John, Thankyou :)

theMusicMan
26th February 2008, 08:29 PM
You're very welcome Sue. You can create a high key shot without the full set up I show there though, Sue, using the built in flash, a white sheet... and photoshop :)

Try placing your cat on a white sheet, or white sheepskin rug. I remember placing our puppies on a white sheet placed on a beenbag!!!

Then use the built in flash on your camera (sorry, not sure which one you have), and make sure you overexpose by a few stops or more (experiment - depending on the ambient lighting), or even set the flash to overexpose. On the E-510 and E-3 there are settings that you can use to accomplish this. On the E-510, I seem to remember it is called 'hi-key' mode, and on the E-3 you can set the gradation to accomplish a similar thing.

Then in Photoshop, you can use the burn tool to totally 'white-out' the background.

I have had a bottle of wine so far this evening... yeah, yeah, yeah... i know it's only 20:27, but heck... I've had a stressful day...:) but if my post actually makes some sense, and you mansge to follow it to get this far, please feel free to post the image and I can apply the white-out effect using photoshop for you.

I'll also be happy to write up a quick tutorial as to how to go about doing this in photoshop if others here feel it would be a help.

I'll be back in an hour, and another 1/2 bottle later... :)

Susan
26th February 2008, 08:50 PM
Hi John

I really appreciate your description, I'm following it to a t :)

Garrie has an E-510 so I'll have a bit of a play around with that with the setting you've described. I've got the E-500, but I'm not sure about it having the overexposure setting, but can use G's so that it has exactly as you describe.

I understand what you mean about the dodging out in ps - one of my favourite tools :) coupled with the burn tool :)

No worries about the wine lol :) I'm not far behind you, on my 4th bottle of Archers Aqua - and my day wasn't too stressful either lol

I'm really excited to give it a try and will enlist Garrie's help along with some kittie sweets to try to get them to behave long enough to let me get the shot :)

As soon as I've had a shot (prob be tomorrow or Fri night) I'll post them up and you could maybe's give me some pointers and advice?

Thanks again, really appreciated :)

Sus :)

theMusicMan
26th February 2008, 10:02 PM
Absolutely... I'd be more than happy to help in any way... enjoy the Archers Aqua... I've been enjoying the Valencia Sweet White :)