PDA

View Full Version : Problem with LCD flip screen

geirsan
26th December 2009, 12:39 PM
My sturdy E-3 just failed me. The flip out LCD-screen is stuck in it's "cave" (what else should one call it) because the screws don't hold the two parts together. I have not been handling the screen especially rough, so I wonder: Have anyone else experienced this problem, i.e, the screen parts coming apart, or am I the only one?

Is this something Olympus should fix, or would they blame it on heavy handling? To me, the LCD screen seems to be the weak spot in the otherwise extremely sturdy and weather safe camera.

peak4
26th December 2009, 01:42 PM
It's a well known problem. Oly replaced my screen housing with a replacement updated moulding. It's essentially the same, but the little lugs that the retaining screws fasten into have been strengthened.

The camera had 3 weeks holiday at the service centre in Portugal and came back looking as good as new.

EH1
26th December 2009, 02:36 PM
My sturdy E-3 just failed me. The flip out LCD-screen is stuck in it's "cave" (what else should one call it) because the screws don't hold the two parts together. I have not been handling the screen especially rough, so I wonder: Have anyone else experienced this problem, i.e, the screen parts coming apart, or am I the only one?

Is this something Olympus should fix, or would they blame it on heavy handling? To me, the LCD screen seems to be the weak spot in the otherwise extremely sturdy and weather safe camera.

If you don`t think you`ve been hard on it then Olympus will probably repair it for you...................................it`s not a problem I have experienced though! ...................I hope you get it sorted out :)

PaulE
26th December 2009, 05:10 PM
Same thing started to happen on my uncles E3 - he caught it before the casing let go altogether. I did a bit of googling at the time at it appears it is a very common problem as peak4 says. Anyway as it was 2nd hand and out of Olympus warranty he ordered the replacement lcd cover from Luton Cameras (http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk) - it came to about 5 delivered and it took me all of 5 minutes to fit it - 4 little screws, two sticky rubber covers and job done so it's not as bad as it sounds....

DerekW
27th December 2009, 12:38 PM
Paul - Please can you tell us the part number for the replacement part - I have not been able to see it specifically on the Luton site.

Thanks

PaulE
27th December 2009, 04:55 PM
Paul - Please can you tell us the part number for the replacement part - I have not been able to see it specifically on the Luton site.

Thanks

Hi Derek,

Sorry, I don't have the part number - my uncle ordered the part and I just fitted it for him. I'm pretty sure they don't have many if any parts at all mentioned on their site but they do have it / will get it for you - just give them a ring and they will know exactly what you are talking about. If I remember rightly it did take a while for them to get the part in and get it posted out but given how cheap it was I thought it was reasonable.

I'll ask though if my uncle has any record of the part number but given that it was 6 months ago and via phone I doubt he will have it now...
Paul.

DerekW
29th December 2009, 02:17 PM
Paul

OK Thanks I do need it at the moment - just be pre emptive. <g>