PDA

View Full Version : Help with my new Olympus E420

JRH
25th December 2009, 08:56 PM
Basicly just got my first SLR for christmas, a Olympus e420 now i have tried taking photos but the live view is just black and blury, and even when i use the viewfinder- and not live view the photos i take are just of a black background, so its taking the photo but not showing it and i can't figure it out.

Any help is appreciated cheers, Josh

Janet
25th December 2009, 10:22 PM
Josh,

Are you actually seeing the image you want to take, either with live view or through the viewfinder? Is the camera focussing?

I've been following your thread on TalkPhotography, and I'm at a loss as to what the problem is! Perhaps if you repeated some more of the information on here you may get some better answers.

Still, at least your problem led us to this site, and I'm sure there are folk here who can help you. Looks like a good place to be....why didn't I find it sooner?

Janet

Ian
25th December 2009, 10:43 PM
Are you by any chance using Manual exposure mode (M on the dial?). In the auto exposure modes)Auto, P, A, or S) the camera will maintain a bright view on the screen to aid composition and critical focus, but in manual mode the camera tries to display the result you would get with the manual settings currently selected. This can result in an over-bright display or a very dark one if the manual settings are not correct.

Ian

crimbo
26th December 2009, 07:49 AM
Are you by any chance using Manual exposure mode (M on the dial?). In the auto exposure modes)Auto, P, A, or S) the camera will maintain a bright view on the screen to aid composition and critical focus, but in manual mode the camera tries to display the result you would get with the manual settings currently selected. This can result in an over-bright display or a very dark one if the manual settings are not correct.

Ian

Now there is a peice of info I didnt know...useful for astrophotography...
As for the 420, sometimes you just have to start at the beginning again...forget what you know and work through the manual - tedius, yes butwill help in the long run...

photo_owl
26th December 2009, 10:51 AM
or an inappropriate S set up - same issues

Adagio
26th December 2009, 04:08 PM
No doubt a stupid question. You have charged the battery, haven't you?

JRH
26th December 2009, 08:53 PM
I've been using Auto mode.

Also i charged the battery for 20 mins or so :D

Janet
26th December 2009, 09:53 PM
i charged the battery for 20 mins or so :D

You're joking, right? *yes

Janet

Adagio
26th December 2009, 09:54 PM
Also i charged the battery for 20 mins or so :D

Does the manual not suggest 3.5 hours?

Were the camera mine I would charge the battery until the red light goes out then refer to Page 30 of the manual and reset to factory defaults.

JRH
26th December 2009, 09:58 PM
I've put it on charge now, it was on green so i didn't think it needed charging it went dead so i put it on for 20 mins and it wen't green again

and ill go to 30 now for reset to factorys.

Adagio
26th December 2009, 10:09 PM
Then, not forgetting to remove the lens cap, set to Auto, point at a reasonably bright light source, press the Info button (P7) and see what exposure is displayed.

JRH
26th December 2009, 11:43 PM
Then, not forgetting to remove the lens cap, set to Auto, point at a reasonably bright light source, press the Info button (P7) and see what exposure is displayed.

why what does the info and exposure do?
im a bit of a noob when it comes to this, i do apologise.

Adagio
27th December 2009, 10:54 AM
Josh

Take a look at p2&3 to check where controls are. Switch the camera on. Rotate the mode dial to Auto. Point the camera out of the window so plenty of light. Press the info button. Is there a display similar to p7? Press the Liveview button? Do you hear the mirror 'click' up? Do you see anything like p8? If you press the shutter button half way does the lens attempt to focus (slight whirr)? If you press it all the way can you hear the mirror/shutter?

Is there a protective film on the display which is distorting your view of it? Can you set the date and time as on p16?

Do make sure that you have a nice bright subject for these tests. If it is dark and the lens fails to focus it may not fire the shutter in this mode. My 520 won't. Does the flash pop up if the aubject is dark?

The last thing I want is to appear condescending but if you really don't understand about exposure then do try and find someone with experience to explain a few things to you and check out the camera. It is possible that you have a dead camera but not all that likely. Do read at least the first 19 pages of the manual carefully. Good luck.

JRH
27th December 2009, 05:09 PM
I took it back today and swapped it for a new one, all fine now and this one works.

Now to learn how to use it, thanks for the help anyway guys!

Adagio
27th December 2009, 05:36 PM
Good luck with it! Hope to see some of your images before too long *chr

JRH
27th December 2009, 11:38 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z182/joshbmxer/PC270025.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z182/joshbmxer/PC270027.jpg

My first ones i took today with the camera.

Janet
27th December 2009, 11:48 PM
Not brilliant, but I don't think perhaps a night shot was the best to start with!

Glad your camera is finally working! Did they say what the problem was, or was it a simple exchange?

Look forward to seeing lots more from you.

Janet

JRH
27th December 2009, 11:49 PM
Not brilliant, but I don't think perhaps a night shot was the best to start with!

Glad your camera is finally working! Did they say what the problem was, or was it a simple exchange?

Look forward to seeing lots more from you.

Janet

I know but time i had charged the battery etc, it was night and i just wanted to have a toy around, gotta start somewhere.

They asked a few questions etc, but im not lieing it was faulty, i had never used it so i didn't break it and yeah pretty much a simple exchange.

Janet
27th December 2009, 11:56 PM
I know but time i had charged the battery etc, it was night and i just wanted to have a toy around, gotta start somewhere.

Sorry Josh, I didn't mean that to come over as a criticism!

Have a go inside with flash! I bought the e520 a while ago, and was dying to try it out, but by the time the battery was charged it was nearly midnight....I found it took some cracking shots...couldn't wait for daylight the next day!

Set your alarm early and get out with the early morning light...

Janet

JRH
27th December 2009, 11:58 PM
Sorry Josh, I didn't mean that to come over as a criticism!

Have a go inside with flash! I bought the e520 a while ago, and was dying to try it out, but by the time the battery was charged it was nearly midnight....I found it took some cracking shots...couldn't wait for daylight the next day!

Set your alarm early and get out with the early morning light...

Janet

What do you suggest, for a beginner settings to use etc/ what to take photos of?

etcetc.

Any help will be appreciated :D

Janet
28th December 2009, 12:54 AM
My advice would be to leave the camera on Auto for the time being and take pictures of anything and everything! Eventually you'll get more choosy and learn what works and what doesn't...for the time being, just get used to it and experiment! If your camera is anything like mine, then it's probably a lot more intelligent than the user behind it!

For instance, I just took this...a picture of my son's keys and the taxi fare that he's going to owe me tomorrow! No skill needed...let the camera do it all until you find out what's what....you'll soon find out what works and what doesn't, and the best thing is, it doesn't cost anything!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4219922139_3209c5be61.jpg

What lenses did you get with the camera?

Janet

OlyPaul
28th December 2009, 08:22 AM
What do you suggest, for a beginner settings to use etc/ what to take photos of?

etcetc.

Any help will be appreciated :D

Glad you got it sorted Josh, I only ever used my E-420 on Aperteure Priority (A setting) so I had control over Depth of field, use wide apertures (small numbers) like F5.6 or smaller to throw backgrounds out of focus and narrow apertures to get front to back sharpenss like F11 or higher. Also set Auto ISO for now.:)

A few examples ( although not brilliant) of what the E-420 is capable off can be found in my E-420 Gallery here and may give you a few ideas

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography/e420_gallery&page=all

Wreckdiver
28th December 2009, 10:18 AM
It looks like you were hand holding your camera in your night shot. As a guide you should use a tripod or put your camera on something solid if the shutter duration is 1/60s or longer.

If you want to experiment with night shots here is a similar post that will help you: E-30 and night time photos (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7683). Don't worry too much about the theory behind this at the moment, just try it and see if you can get some better results. We can explain it in more detail later.

Have fun :)

Steve

JRH
28th December 2009, 12:23 PM
It looks like you were hand holding your camera in your night shot. As a guide you should use a tripod or put your camera on something solid if the shutter duration is 1/60s or longer.

If you want to experiment with night shots here is a similar post that will help you: E-30 and night time photos (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7683). Don't worry too much about the theory behind this at the moment, just try it and see if you can get some better results. We can explain it in more detail later.

Have fun :)

Steve

Cheers Janet, and Paul for links etc. And the camera has a zuiko 14-42mm Lens
I got given some information yesterday for light trailing
Its great that you know about the idea behind car trails, but you really need a tripod as deb says. You can even rest it on something but do not touch the camera when you do this. Next time you try it place the camera on a 10 second delay, f11, 15 second shutter speed, 100 ISO. Place the camera on something where you dont need to hold it, and when you see a car coming press the shutter, wait 10 seconds car goes past, equal a great photo. :) Thats my tip for next time.

So think i'll try that out, just gonna get my head round how to change the shutter speed etc.

JRH
28th December 2009, 01:13 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshhowie/?saved=1

Some new photos up there, check it out please :D