PDA

View Full Version : ME-1 Eye Cup Magnifier

JackBenedict
21st December 2009, 07:14 PM
Hello Forum Users,

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of one of these eye cup magnifiers.

I would be interested in your observations as to its usefulness and if anyone might have one they don't use and might be willing sell........

Thanks

andym
21st December 2009, 07:49 PM
I got one several years ago when I first had an E500 on which it sat for about 18 months.
I have tried it on the E3 and it makes the viewfinder huge but makes all of the viewfinder info hard to see.It is also nice and tight on the E3 and less prone to fall off like the supplied eyepiece but I prefer it without it.
It now sits on the E420 that I purchased from a forum member,I find it does make the viewfinder less tunnel like but it also distorts quite a bit at the edges.
As to if it's worth it I'm not sure as it's quite expensive for a bit of plastic.

Hope this helps.

Wee man
21st December 2009, 08:32 PM
Jack PM sent
Wee man

HughofBardfield
22nd December 2009, 12:29 PM
I've used one of these since shortly after I bought an E500 in 2006. It makes a small but useful difference to the E500/510, although as Andy says, it's at the expense of being able to see all the viewfinder info and the corners of the finder.

Like Andy I found it was prone to falling off the E500/510 unless secured with a tiny blob of Blue Tak... too expensive to risk dropping the damn thing somewhere.

Having just acquired an E30, I'm trialling it on that before deciding whether to keep it. Even with the info display below the screen instead of to the side, it seems not to be easy to see all of it - but by the same token, I've always relied on the info screen for shooting info, rather than the finder.

The key thing I found was that it does make manual focusing a bit easier, but still far from easy to get it right. The best focus aid I've used was a Katz Eye screen, followed in terms of usability by Live View...

JackBenedict
22nd December 2009, 07:21 PM
Andy, WeeMan, Hugh - thanks for the replies. It is probably as I suspected, I am not going to get a lot from this type of magnifier.

Hugh - I did previously look at Kats Eye focus screens, but felt that they really came into their own when using Oly legacy lenses - which is something I don't really have time for.

Thank you all for your comments,sorry I was delayed getting back to you. No it wasn't the snow !

Have a great Christmas and New Year all.