PDA

View Full Version : Broken 50-200 SWD

Pete_VN52
17th December 2009, 10:31 AM
Put my 50-200mm on my E-30 this morning, and it's not working anymore :( I think that the motor must have failed, as it doesn't auto focus any more. There is a faint hum as if it's trying to do something.

Unfortunately for me, I bought it barely used, so although it's still in it's warranty period, that only applies to the previous owner - is that right? I think it's going to be expensive! To make matters worse, my tv is in for a warranty repair too, I wonder what's going to break next!

jdal
17th December 2009, 10:50 AM
I think it's transferrable, but the rules do say you need the original proof of purchase.

Full details here:
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_1564.htm

If you have the warranty card and not the proof of purchase, you could give the service department a ring, they are reasonably flexible. If the lens was manufactured within 2 years I think they'll do the repair as it MUST have been purchased within the warranty period. I'm sure I've done this before with the E-3.

Pete_VN52
17th December 2009, 11:19 AM
That's interesting, thanks for the info. I've got the warranty card and receipt so I'll see what they say. *chr

JackBenedict
17th December 2009, 01:07 PM
If the warranty is good,and Olympus won't assist, why don't go back to the seller. They may be able to return the lens in their own name. A lot of items today state that warranties are not transferable,perhaps it's just another cute method for manaufacturers of getting out of their responsibility.