PDA

View Full Version : HELP! CF card reader

ronyzmbow
17th December 2009, 05:29 AM
I am looking for a good quality card reader. There are many types in the market from very low prices to very high (Sandisk - Lexar). There are with a docking station or without.
Should I go with the expensive, the mid priced (Hama - Kingston) or the cheap.
What are the differences in performance?
What is your experience?

StephenL
17th December 2009, 08:06 AM
After trying very many, with most not lasting longer than 3 months or so, I've found good performance and (so far) reliability with a Sandisk ImageMate 12 in 1. It certainly wasn't the dearest available at the time, but neither was it the cheapest.

BobS
17th December 2009, 09:29 AM
Hi

I've used the "All in 1 Memory Card Reader" from 7dayshop.com for many months now with no problems whatsoever. They are ridiculously cheap, too.
In fact, I think I got a bogof deal.

Bob

Nick Temple-Fry
17th December 2009, 10:33 AM
I've been using a Kingston for a couple of years, both at home and being thrown around in a small yacht. OK so far.

Nick

MarkVarley
17th December 2009, 12:42 PM
Sandisk Imagemate 12 in 1
got three of them here, never had a problem with any of them and they've been working hard for a while now, the cheap ones get irritating faults after a few months.

cychwr
17th December 2009, 12:52 PM
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=101397 £2.99 bogof.

terryw
17th December 2009, 09:46 PM
Like you Bob, I also purchased a card reader from 7day shop (July 09) to replace the more expensive one I had from Jessops (I managed to bend the card reader's CF pins).

So far so good with the cheapo Dane Electric USB2 card reader from 7day.

Terry

Wee man
17th December 2009, 09:57 PM
Me too 7-day shop and working well
wee Man

Shaw
17th December 2009, 11:20 PM
I am looking for a good quality card reader. There are many types in the market from very low prices to very high (Sandisk - Lexar). There are with a docking station or without.
Should I go with the expensive, the mid priced (Hama - Kingston) or the cheap.
What are the differences in performance?
What is your experience?

I've had a Kingston for some time now, and have had no problems with it.

Stewart

Ellie
18th December 2009, 12:31 AM
I've got a basic (cheap) multi card reader from Superdrug a couple of years ago, it eats the xd cards though, so I use the USB xd reader from Olympus.

Have you thought about using the cable, connecting your camera to the computer, instead of taking the card out each time you need to download images?

DerekW
12th January 2010, 08:54 PM
I have a Sandisk Firewire CF card reader - the increased transfer speed is very noticeable especially when you have a full card. I also have the Sandisk 12in 1 USB reader to handle all the miscellaneous cards that different devices use.

Andrew Riddell
12th January 2010, 09:38 PM
Another 'vote' for the Sandisk 12 in 1!

padgreen
14th January 2010, 12:36 PM
Hi

What type of card reader you need really depends on how fast the CF cards you are using is and how big the card is. Put simply, if you use a fast card with a fast reader it transfer you files to your computer quicker: with a full card, as DerekW said, you will notice the difference.

For cards with read/write speeds of up to 34 MB/s (such as Sandisk Extreme III 30 MB/s), I'd also suggest the SanDisk ImageMate® All-in-One USB 2.0 Reader. Most of the cheaper readers you can buy won't match this reader in terms of transfer speed of your image files from the card to your computer.

If you use faster cards, such as Extreme IV or better, you really should use a UDMA firewire reader to take full advantage of the faster read/write speed.

Ian
14th January 2010, 12:44 PM
Hi

What type of card reader you need really depends on how fast the CF cards you are using is and how big the card is. Put simply, if you use a fast card with a fast reader it transfer you files to your computer quicker: with a full card, as DerekW said, you will notice the difference.

For cards with read/write speeds of up to 34 MB/s (such as Sandisk Extreme III 30 MB/s), I'd also suggest the SanDisk ImageMate® All-in-One USB 2.0 Reader. Most of the cheaper readers you can buy won't match this reader in terms of transfer speed of your image files from the card to your computer.

If you use faster cards, such as Extreme IV or better, you really should use a UDMA firewire reader to take full advantage of the faster read/write speed.

Good point. 233x and faster cards (there are 600x cards available now) are slowed down by ordinary USB 2 readers. Even a Firewire reader will be a bottleneck in some cases. The optimal set up is a Firewire 800 reader, and even then you need to connect it to a Firewire 800 port that is served by a decent bus architecture, like PCI Express. Ordinary PCI slots are simply too slow.

Ian

ndl0071
14th January 2010, 08:26 PM
I don't use 'posh' cards or paticulary fast ones so my very cheap 7 day shop one that I've had for well over 2 years now does very nicely indeed. Highly recommended.