PDA

View Full Version : Why no mirror lockup (I don't mean AntiShock)

dkayuk
14th December 2009, 09:44 PM
Hi all

I know from other photographers that Canon and Nikon DSLRs have a mirror lockup function which ensures a lower and consistent shutter lag value between shots. I've been told that it's possible to get on Canon DSLRs, under an optimised configuration (pre-focus, manual mode, preset WB etc), 50ms shutter lag.

Being a high speed photography (droplets, splashes etc) addict, I've managed to "scientifically" measure my E-30's shutter lag. I did about 30 tests and got shutter lag values (under optimal conditions) of 265ms to 300ms. This is way too much and they are not even consistent between identical tests. I didn't change anything between the shots!

I am aware of AntiShock but that requires a delay of 1 sec so for the stuff that I'm doing it's not useful.

1. Any reason that Olympus had decided not to give us mirror lockup? On my E-30 it's not there
2. Are there any older Olympus E-system cameras that have mirror lockup implemented in the way I've described?

thx

David

blu-by-u
15th December 2009, 12:53 PM
Not sure if this has mirror lock up or not,

Set to manual everything. Shutter, Aperture and focus. then switch on the Liveview, focus then release the shutter. Will this improve the lag?

dkayuk
15th December 2009, 01:07 PM

Set to manual everything. Shutter, Aperture and focus. then switch on the Liveview, focus then release the shutter. Will this improve the lag?

thx blu-by-u, the device I am using for the measurements will actually release the shutter (not me). I don't think Mirror Lock has been implemented in any of the E-system cameras.

DK

Zuiko
15th December 2009, 01:28 PM
I'm sure that mirror lock as you describe it has never featured in an E-Series camera. In fact it was a rarity in the OM system, as far as I know only featuring in the OM1 and OM3. Auto models partially had it, but only in conjunction with the self-timer. I can see how it is a disadvantage for your type of photography.

stevednp3
15th December 2009, 01:37 PM
The mirror lock (anti-shock) delay can be adjusted via the menu system from 1 to 30 seconds, or totally disabled, Im also sure you can apply the mirror lock to a function button but have never tried it, so your e-30 should be able to do what you need.

Zuiko
15th December 2009, 02:42 PM
The mirror lock (anti-shock) delay can be adjusted via the menu system from 1 to 30 seconds, or totally disabled, Im also sure you can apply the mirror lock to a function button but have never tried it, so your e-30 should be able to do what you need.

I'm not convinced, Steve, I'm sure that mirror lock can only be enabled as part of the Anti Shock function, thus with a minimum delay of one second. This is clearly of no use to DK for the purpose he describes. I'd love someone to prove me wrong!

EH1
15th December 2009, 02:53 PM
Is the shutter lag the same on all e-system cameras?...............it could be one model is quicker than another model?...............I don`t know the answer though :confused:

stevednp3
15th December 2009, 02:54 PM
I'll double check tonight and post back, but im sure I did this on my e-30 and not nikon :o

dkayuk
15th December 2009, 04:47 PM

Steve, I am aware of anti-shock. The only way to turn it ON, is to specify a delay of 1sec or more. There is no delay option of 0. In stop motion protography, 1 sec is a very very long time!!

I (also) would be happy to be proven wrong!!

DK

stevednp3
15th December 2009, 07:50 PM
Sorry DK, wish I read your message more carefully, I see what you mean now, yes 1 sec is the lowest, unless John or Ian has any ideas around this ?

wet in washington
16th December 2009, 11:44 AM
If I may, wouldn't it be better to use a video camera for this type of photography? :)

dkayuk
16th December 2009, 11:58 AM
If I may, wouldn't it be better to use a video camera for this type of photography? :)

Interesting idea but I know nothing about video cameras :)

Ian
16th December 2009, 12:23 PM

Probably not. In live view the shutter starts off open. It then has to close (cocking the shutter), and then re-open to make the exposure. The mirror is driven by the same motor action that cocks the shutter, so the mirror flaps even though it's not actually used.

Ian

oly_om
16th December 2009, 09:37 PM
Probably not. In live view the shutter starts off open. It then has to close (cocking the shutter), and then re-open to make the exposure. The mirror is driven by the same motor action that cocks the shutter, so the mirror flaps even though it's not actually used.

Ian

That's a nuisance - I know the 40D definitely can fire without moving the mirror in liveview. This would be a useful thing if the new body (i.e. the E-3 replacement) could do this too.

Andy

photo_owl
16th December 2009, 10:33 PM
I presume they would have to de-couple the mirror from the shutter mechanism if they implement video (?)

Zuiko
16th December 2009, 10:34 PM
That's a nuisance - I know the 40D definitely can fire without moving the mirror in liveview. This would be a useful thing if the new body (i.e. the E-3 replacement) could do this too.

Andy

And mirror lock up independant of Anti-Shock! :)

Graham_of_Rainham
16th December 2009, 11:19 PM
It would be great if Manual Mode really was just that. Everything could be controled manually, especially through teathered control via Studio. :cool: