PDA

View Full Version : E510

Glen Bentley
8th December 2009, 02:01 PM
I was out walking the weekend before last with E510 in hand, as is my way, when I lost my footing and ended up staring at the sky. Regrettably the camera took a clump although not too harsh as I had slid down in a graceful and controlled manner:rolleyes:.

Tested the camera immediately and there was a slight buzzing which stopped and then it operated normally.

I have noticed now that on occasion, but not always, a red glow appears at the bottom of the viewfinder. Has any one else experienced this? I think this may be the lens mount but would appreciate some input if anyone knows of this or a similar problem and what should be done.

Is the light likely to show up on images? or any other consequences?

As I say the camera appears to be functioning normally otherwise.

andym
8th December 2009, 02:36 PM
Hi

I would say that your focus screen may have come lose.The red light you are seeing is probably the LED that illuminates the focus points.

Check if the cradle that holds the focus screen is in place properly.There are two lugs at the back and a spring clip at the front.Be careful with the screen though as they scratch very easily.

Us old fools have to careful when walking in the forest;).

Take care.

Ps be interested to see what others think.

snaarman
8th December 2009, 02:46 PM
Hi

I would say that your focus screen may have come lose.The red light you are seeing is probably the LED that illuminates the focus points.

Ps be interested to see what others think.

Yes, focus led would be my suspect for this. Its in the right place and is the right colour. I just wonder if a displaced screen would show up some other features though??

Pete

Glen Bentley
11th December 2009, 11:44 PM
You're right it is the focus LED that is showing up but I don't recall it being there before.

Can't say that I understand the focus screen - is this the viewfinder screen, this has two grooves into which the eyecup slides. The actual viewfinder pane looks as if it is secured by 4 screws and isn't loose.

Perhaps I am imagining that the light did not show before.

snaarman
12th December 2009, 08:25 AM
You're right it is the focus LED that is showing up but I don't recall it being there before.

Can't say that I understand the focus screen - is this the viewfinder screen, this has two grooves into which the eyecup slides. The actual viewfinder pane looks as if it is secured by 4 screws and isn't loose.

Perhaps I am imagining that the light did not show before.

No, the focus screen can only be seen if you take the lens off. If you look in the hole you see the mirror. Reflected in its surface you will see the focus screen :)

Pete

Glen Bentley
12th December 2009, 04:48 PM
Mmmm. I am now poorer, wiser and never want to open a camera again apart from changing lens.

I must conclude that the light has always been there and I just never noticed it.

Thanks for your input and I also know what people are now on about when they talk of split focus screens.

andym
12th December 2009, 04:58 PM
What you been up to??

You should have gone down the Spurs,that could have been really depressing.