PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Flash question

donmcmahan
6th December 2009, 04:06 PM
I have an E-510 which of course does not support RC wireless flash operation, but I have a Metz 58 which I use on camera, and highly recommend by the way, the Metz will work in the wireless mode like a FL-50R (but not with my camera) but will also according to Metz function as a master to fire a second off camera flash wirelessly so my question to any one who has both a Metz 58 an a oly FLxxR unit is, will the metz (on camera as master) fire the FLxxR (off camera as slave) I know it will work with another metz 58 or 48 but was wondering about the Oly wireless units. to fully answer my question someone would have to have tried it or be in a position to give it a go with a body that does not itself support wireless flash like my E510. *chr

Graham_of_Rainham
6th December 2009, 05:03 PM
The FL-50R has a "Slave" mode which will fire whenever it detects another flash. I use it a lot when other people are using my flash set up with non Olympus cameras. The one thing you have to make sure of is the camera only fires off one flash, so no preflash to determine exposures or as a focusing aide or the FL-50s will be going off all over the place.

The other advantage of the FL-50R in slave mode is it will trigger off the popup flash turned all the way down 1/64th power. My old C8080 will also trigger them at it's lowest slave trigger flash level.

Have Fun

*chr

Ian
7th December 2009, 10:31 AM
I think this is an interesting question, but (although I haven't spoken to Metz about it) Iwould be surprised if the Metz would operate in the way you wish. I'm guessing that the Metz operates in the way Canon, Nikon, and others operate their remote flash systems, and this requires a degree of control from the camera body via the bolt-on master. I'm not sure the Metz flash itself has eveerything it needs to do what's required independently. It would be in the instruction manual of course...

Ian

donmcmahan
7th December 2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks Graham and Ian, my original question was based on a basic misunderstanding on my part, I now know it does not work the way I thought. the Metz 58 does work as a master on Canon and Nikon but not with Olympus. so my options for a second off camera flash are limited to a simple slave unit that triggers from any flash it sees, which means that the second flash is purely manual, no control from the master on camera. Or upgrade to a camera body that supports RC wireless flash control, in which case I can use both flashes off camera controlled by the popup, the better but not the budget option.:confused: