PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Firmware Update - Gone wrong

dave620
4th December 2009, 07:46 PM
Hi all, just updated the firmware on my 70-300, no problems, but when i completed the same for the 14-54 f2.8 mk1 it seem to complete ok, but now the camera does not seem to "see the lens" in the apeture value if just flashes and will not autofocus, when i connect back to the Olympus Master software it does not appear to see the lens only the body. Any advise appreciated. Dave

Wreckdiver
4th December 2009, 08:20 PM
I take it that if you reconnect the 70-300mm lens all is OK?

If so then the 14-54mm hasn't taken the load and the comms between the lens and camera is not working. Try cleaning the lens contacts (use a pencil eraser) and see if that cures it. If not then the lens load is corrupt and I guess will need to go back to Oly.

Is the lens under warranty?

Steve

dave620
4th December 2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks Steve, yes the 70-300 is fine, 14-54 was working fine, only problem after the update, no such luck with the warranty, but work for a photo retailer so back to Olympus it goes.Dave

EH1
4th December 2009, 08:42 PM
Too many firmware updates go wrong, this is something Olympus really need to sort out!.................................I hope you get it sorted out with the minimum amount of hassle.

dave620
4th December 2009, 08:45 PM
Will send it back to them Monday and have a word with the rep, will let you know what happens.Not very happy at the moment !!

jima
4th December 2009, 10:58 PM
Too many firmware updates go wrong, this is something Olympus really need to sort out!
Well, no, not really. When you consider the number of Olympus SLR's out there there are not that many at all - certainly not enough to warrant trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I grant you - for those who it affects it is a worrying time BUT it really is not any worse than those who have equally serious problems or manage to brick their cameras during CF based updates, for example.

Over the last few years I have updated E-1's, E-3's, E-400's, an E-500 and quite a few lenses all without any trouble at all. I am sure that I am part of the vast silent majority who don't have problems so with due deference to the OP and his problem can we please NOT make a big issue out of this? It just puts people off unnecessarily.

Jim

Nick Temple-Fry
5th December 2009, 12:07 AM
Well, no, not really. When you consider the number of Olympus SLR's out there there are not that many at all - certainly not enough to warrant trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I grant you - for those who it affects it is a worrying time BUT it really is not any worse than those who have equally serious problems or manage to brick their cameras during CF based updates, for example.

Over the last few years I have updated E-1's, E-3's, E-400's, an E-500 and quite a few lenses all without any trouble at all. I am sure that I am part of the vast silent majority who don't have problems so with due deference to the OP and his problem can we please NOT make a big issue out of this? It just puts people off unnecessarily.

Jim

Quite agree.

For most of us updates are totally problem free.

The one thing Olympus could do is to give each lens/camera a base emergency recovery accessed by pushing a pin into an obscure part of the body, just enough so the lens/camera could talk and load the current update.

Nick

Wreckdiver
5th December 2009, 10:20 AM
The one thing Olympus could do it to give each lens/camera a base emergency recovery accessed by pushing a pin into an obscure part of the body, just enough so the lens/camera could talk and load the current update.

Nick

I agree Nick. This is something I have always been surprised has never been implemented :confused:

Steve

EH1
5th December 2009, 01:00 PM
I am sure that I am part of the vast silent majority who don't have problems so with due deference to the OP and his problem can we please NOT make a big issue out of this? It just puts people off unnecessarily.

Jim

Well I must be part of the minority that have had problems, & have every right to share my personal experiences, as are you! Obviously this is only a molehill to you as you have never been affected by it, but when it happens, it is a big inconvenience!

Ian
5th December 2009, 01:00 PM
Too many firmware updates go wrong, this is something Olympus really need to sort out!.................................I hope you get it sorted out with the minimum amount of hassle.

I have not noticed many posts about firmware updates that have gone wrong. When they do it's usuall down to batteries going flat mid-way throught the flashing of the update. This only takes seconds and so you have to be very unlucky for it to go wrong (especially as you are told to ensure the battery is freshly charged to start with).

Ian

Nick Temple-Fry
5th December 2009, 01:08 PM
Well I must be part of the minority that have had problems, & have every right to share my personal experiences, as are you! Obviously this is only a molehill to you as you have never been affected by it, but when it happens, it is a big inconvenience!

Sorry Edward -didn't intend to imply it wasn't a big problem if it happened to you, obviously anything that turns your camera/lens into a temporary doorstop is a major pain.

But I will suggest that it is quite a rare problem (and one which Olympus could overcome with an emergency reset button).

Nick

EH1
5th December 2009, 01:14 PM
Sorry Edward -didn't intend to imply it wasn't a big problem if it happened to you, obviously anything that turns your camera/lens into a temporary doorstop is a major pain.

But I will suggest that it is quite a rare problem (and one which Olympus could overcome with an emergency reset button).

Nick

Nick, no need for appologies!.....................I do accept it is perhaps a rare problem....................but some do have problems. I think you reset button would be a great idea!

jima
6th December 2009, 11:23 PM
...but when it happens, it is a big inconvenience!
I do believe I said that. I do feel for those who get bitten by it but it still doesn't make it such a big thing that Olympus have to redesign and re-write their entire upgrade procedures. A 'reset/recovery' button would be great to have as Nick suggested as well.

Jim

OlyPaul
7th December 2009, 07:01 AM
My biggest worry when updating is if the internet dropping its connection or freezing (which we have all suffered at some time) would cause a problem with the update.

I still think a download and transfer to CF card to update would be better.:)

Jim Ford
7th December 2009, 10:10 AM
My biggest worry when updating is if the internet dropping its connection or freezing (which we have all suffered at some time) would cause a problem with the update.

My understanding is that the actual update doesn't start until the complete file is downloaded.

Jim

Ian
7th December 2009, 10:15 AM
My understanding is that the actual update doesn't start until the complete file is downloaded.

Jim

This is correct. The update file is downloaded from the Internet first. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the file is then transferred entirely to the camera before being flashed to the camera's BIOS memory.

Ian