PDA

View Full Version : 70-300mm zoom stiffness

Batman
3rd December 2009, 03:51 PM
Has anyone else suffered any stiffness in the zoom ring on a 70-300mm lens.

My lens works perfectly and delivers some very good images. However, the zoom has always seemed a little stiff, ever since new. At that time I didn't really know what to expect, but since I have acquired some other lenses, I am starting to notice that this is by far and away the most stiff even though it is usable. This lens gets a lot of use by me and I had hoped that it would free up a bit with use.

Does anyone have any experience and advice please.

EH1
3rd December 2009, 04:12 PM
I think you will find that as long as it moves smoothly, it`s ok! :)

Batman
3rd December 2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks Edward. I can cope with it but it does stick a bit towards the long end of the range. Part of my problem is that when some non Olympus friends have tried it they have also commented on the stiffness. Not a good selling point for Olympus!

Obviously I'm not going to do it but it is tempting to try to lubricate the barrel. No, I will not do this honestly.

Shaw
3rd December 2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks Edward. I can cope with it but it does stick a bit towards the long end of the range. Part of my problem is that when some non Olympus friends have tried it they have also commented on the stiffness. Not a good selling point for Olympus!

Obviously I'm not going to do it but it is tempting to try to lubricate the barrel. No, I will not do this honestly.

My one is the same, and especially towards the long end.

Stewart

Batman
3rd December 2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks Stewart. It's nice to know I am not alone. In all other respects it is a great lens.

Roberta
4th December 2009, 06:31 AM
MIne feels the same, I had the same thought when I bought it the other week, and mine is now getting a lot of use.
Roberta

Batman
4th December 2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks Roberta. I guess that we stick with it. Sadly though, I don't think it will get better with time, as mine is now over a year old and has seen a lot of use.

Great lens in all other respects though.

wet in washington
5th December 2009, 03:33 PM
Mine was the same way. I used a silicone spray, the food grade stuff, spray some on a rag, not the lens, then wipe a light film on the barrel, let it dry. It made a big difference. My 2. *yes

Jonesgj
5th December 2009, 05:54 PM
Mine was the same way. I used a silicone spray, the food grade stuff, spray some on a rag, not the lens, then wipe a light film on the barrel, let it dry. It made a big difference. My 2. *yes

I have two of these lenses; one is quite 'free' and the other, though 'smooth', is a little tighter.

Interesting what wet in washington says though.

Batman
6th December 2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks to Wet in Washington for the advice. I had thought about doing this but was worried about potential contamination of the lens. Good to know that someone else has done it without dire results.

Also nice to know from Graydon's experience that some variation is to be expected with this lens.

Jim Ford
6th December 2009, 01:05 PM
I endorse the silicone spray method. I use it on my 50-200 and 12-60 Zuikos. It transforms their zoom operation.

I got my silicone spray from Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223403

Jim

Batman
6th December 2009, 02:51 PM
Thank you Jim. This is all boosting my confidence to use this solution.

Jim Ford
6th December 2009, 05:04 PM
BTW, silicone spray is great for sticky lens hoods. The hood on my 12-60mm Zuiko was getting stiff to put on and remove. I tried cleaning the bayonet and lubricating with a soft graphite pencil, with little improvement. I then sprayed some silicon onto a cloth and wiped the hood and lens bayonet with it. This has transformed the fitting and removal of the hood, and is now like new.

Jim

Batman
7th December 2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the advice Jim. I am off to Maplins this morning.