PDA

View Full Version : HELP! help with lens

Roberta
29th November 2009, 06:10 AM
I'm new to the board, and new to Digital SLR's. I have the std lenses that came with the camera, but as we live in the bush and I bought a Zuirko ED 70-300mm as the 150 was just a bit short.
Well here is my question, do you have to tell the camera what the lens is. I've onlyt started to play with the menu's and I noticed their was a place for the lens data. When I use the lens out to 300, I find it only goes as far as 150, which is the highest mm of the other lens, or am I doing something wrong.
Roberta

StephenL
29th November 2009, 07:40 AM
Hi Roberta, and welcome!
To answer your question, no you don't have to tell the camera what the lens is AS LONG AS it's an Olympus ZD lens or a Sigma 4/3 mount lens. The menu you see is for when you are using non-four-thirds lenses on your camera with an adapter. In these case the camera has no way of knowing what lens is mounted so you have to tell it for the benefit of Image Stabilisation. All "designed for" four-thirds lenses have a chip in them which communicates full information to the body.

theMusicMan
29th November 2009, 07:48 AM
I'm new to the board, and new to Digital SLR's. I have the std lenses that came with the camera, but as we live in the bush and I bought a Zuirko ED 70-300mm as the 150 was just a bit short.
Well here is my question, do you have to tell the camera what the lens is. I've onlyt started to play with the menu's and I noticed their was a place for the lens data. When I use the lens out to 300, I find it only goes as far as 150, which is the highest mm of the other lens, or am I doing something wrong.
RobertaHi Roberta

As Stephen says, no you don't have to tell your camera what lens you are using. You have the ZD 70-300mm, which will communicate with the camera for all its operations i.e. aperture, focal length, auto focus (as long as you have set it to 'Auto' on the lens itself) etc.

Make sure you have the IS turned on, probably IS1 is best for bird shooting. I've taken loads of bird shots (http://www.reflectingme.com/p502472125) with this excellent lens - which is quite probably the most understated of all the Oly lenses.

Welcome to e-group by the way.

jamie allan
29th November 2009, 10:51 AM
Roberta,
Welcome to the forum. Re your query on the 70-300mm on full extension of the lens. If you are referring to the markings on the lens barrel then I had the same thoughts and raised this with Olympus. The markings on the barrel it turns out refer to the settings when used in macro mode on your camera. They don't refer to standard use. Check the exif detail on any shots taken at full extension and I think you'll find these show it operating at 300mm.
Jamie

Nichthewood
3rd December 2014, 09:02 PM
I was wondering about the 70-300mm lens not extending all the way out too. So really pleased to find the answer here. Thought I'd bought a dud. Once again thanks to all, even if it was written 5 years ago. Cheers