View Full Version : Camera Gear Insurance?

Jim Ford
30th January 2008, 06:30 PM
I feel I need to get my camera stuff insured for when I'm out with it - especially now I've splashed out for an E3!

Any suggestions, please?

Jim Ford

30th January 2008, 07:07 PM
I insured mine with E&L (www.eandl.co.uk), who put flyers in a lot of camera magazines. They gave me the cheapest quote when I shopped around last year. Seem OK when I've phoned them to amend the policy, but (Deo Gratias) have yet to need to try them on a claim. One thing to watch - one of their options involves lunar month payments (ie 13 a year) so be careful to factor that in!

30th January 2008, 07:10 PM
Hey Jim

You might want to have a look at Photoguard... http://www.photoguard.co.uk/home.asp

Very reasonable rates and cover for Public Liability too.

30th January 2008, 08:11 PM
This post is quite apt. I have just dropped my E-510. Fortunately I had my cameras listed as personal belongings on my contents insurance. I pay a small premium for this. I think it costs an extra 24 pounds pa. As this is listed as a personal belongings, I do not have to pay any excess, and any claim only affects the no claims discount on the personal belongings, and not the main contents policy.

I use the NFU.......and no I am not a farmer. They have an office in the town where I live, which means that I deal with a real person. I filled in all of the paper work, discussed the issues, and they have sent it off to be sorted out.

No call centres for me 

Scapula Memory
30th January 2008, 09:04 PM
Sometimes you can get a better deal with your household insurance. Depending on your policy you may already be covered or you might be required to specifically name your gear. Worth investigating. You might only have to pay a small extra premium to cover your gear from say a car.

I tried to insure my angling gear, as sometimes I am out with almost 3k of gear and came up against policies that did not hold water under scrutiny. My house hold insurance with a slight adjustment was the best option by far.

Read the small print whatever you do!



31st January 2008, 10:05 AM
I have all my equipment and hiFi stuff covered by the Hiscox for anywhere in the world, You can get a quote online at

you do not have to itemise the high value items

Andrew Riddell
31st January 2008, 11:25 AM
Chubb do a similar deal to Hiscox - don't know which is cheaper!


E-P1 fan
31st January 2008, 11:25 AM
With all insurance policies DO check the small print to make sure you are actually going to be covered in the way you 'assume' you will be!

Some of the exclusions can be illuminating!! :eek:

31st January 2008, 03:02 PM
I'm with NFU as well as, high value items which taken out of house covered by contents. Very competitive.


31st January 2008, 07:10 PM
We went with Admiral - very competetive and covered all my camera gear even when out of the country (I even got emails to say so when we queried the T&C's!).

Also it covers anywhere outside the home regardless of country up to a 5k limit so I don't need to worry about travel insurance which tends to have stupidly low limits assuming that everyone uses P&S !