PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Ash gig tomorrow night, do I use the e620 or e410?!

TheStrummer
25th November 2009, 04:45 PM
Self explanatory really, I am press passin' it at the Spring and Airbrake in Belfast tomorrow night. The light in there kind of sucks, and there's a big pole in the middle of the stage...but yeah, any help would be appreciated! :-)

Zuiko
25th November 2009, 05:37 PM
Self explanatory really, I am press passin' it at the Spring and Airbrake in Belfast tomorrow night. The light in there kind of sucks, and there's a big pole in the middle of the stage...but yeah, any help would be appreciated! :-)

I assume that the 620 with newer sensor and IS would be better for this type of event than the 410. Look forward to seeing the pictures! :D

TheStrummer
25th November 2009, 06:03 PM
Hahaha thanks! I am well excited! The only thing that concerns me is the noise levels, the e410 has much less noise in lower light :S

photo_owl
25th November 2009, 06:19 PM
sorry but you have something set wrong, or missmatched in your comparison process....

I could understand your view at iso 100, 400 and above the 620 walks it

TheStrummer
1st December 2009, 09:15 AM
Hey,

I forgot to post the results! Also ended up gettin' the Little Boots gig in the Mandela Hall 2 days later - jackpot!

Ash - http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmcallisterphotography/sets/72157622760447753/

Little Boots - http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmcallisterphotography/sets/72157622773251615/

Clair

blu-by-u
2nd December 2009, 01:07 AM
Nice take. So what did you finally use? The E-620? :p

Mr Jones
2nd December 2009, 01:30 AM
What lens did you use? They are really sharp. The 50mm?

David Gethin
2nd December 2009, 07:53 AM
On your Little Boots set I noticed that you couldn't decide which to use so made a 'hybrid' e610 on your tagging ;)

As above, what lens? Shutter speeds and ISO? Any PP?

They all seem sharp and no apparent noise/grain except where you have gone for that look in the Ash set. Nice pics.

TheStrummer
2nd December 2009, 02:25 PM
I ended up using the e620 for everything, and, after twiddling with the settings a bit, it did me proud! I used a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, and it's awesome, definitely a must for any gig photographer. I also cranked the IS up to 3, and didn't have the noise filter on because I didn't know where it was! (Thanks to this forum I now do!) Manuals and me don't mix...! The only PP I really used was the odd crop, the odd sharpen or bringing up the exposure slightly on some of the pics, mainly the black and white ones. Though I did have to clone out a few rogue cables in the Little Boots set.

As for ISO, it went from around 250-500, and shutter speed was between 80-100ish I think. It's a lot different from using the e410, in which the ISO used to have to be around 800, or 400 if I was lucky, and the shutter speed: around 30-50.

Yeah, everything came out quite clean, which makes me very excited for Elliot Minor twice this week, and Enter Shikari next!

photo_owl
2nd December 2009, 02:53 PM
I ended up using the e620 for everything, and, after twiddling with the settings a bit, it did me proud! I used a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, and it's awesome, definitely a must for any gig photographer. I also cranked the IS up to 3, and didn't have the noise filter on because I didn't know where it was! (Thanks to this forum I now do!) Manuals and me don't mix...! The only PP I really used was the odd crop, the odd sharpen or bringing up the exposure slightly on some of the pics, mainly the black and white ones. Though I did have to clone out a few rogue cables in the Little Boots set.

As for ISO, it went from around 250-500, and shutter speed was between 80-100ish I think. It's a lot different from using the e410, in which the ISO used to have to be around 800, or 400 if I was lucky, and the shutter speed: around 30-50.

Yeah, everything came out quite clean, which makes me very excited for Elliot Minor twice this week, and Enter Shikari next!

cranking the IS up to 3 isn't quite what IS mode 3 is all about - it only corrects in one plane (as IS2 does the other way) so IS1 is your normal, and most effective, general setting.

the camera will have had NF on STD as a default, rather than OFF

none of which detracts from a very nice set (I only looked at the little boots ones)

drmarkf
3rd December 2009, 08:32 PM
Nice shots.

I've just started doing some gig shooting, prompted by some friends re-forming their band after rather more years than I care to admit [OK, about 30 :) ].

I've used my 620 and have tried all my lenses at various times, and have had the most consistent results with the 14-54 f2.8-3.5 and the 9-18, but the best results (among lots and lots of failures) with the 150 f2 at full aperture. Depth of field is obviously minimal with that, but the perspective and out-of-focus backgrounds can work really well.

The band have got a rather 'creative' lighting guy who's in to strobes, and this makes predicting the results you're going to get with individual shots impossible to predict, so I tend to use burst mode.

I find a monopod helps a lot with the 150, although you have to be careful not to impale anything with it...

What focusing mode did you use? I need to work more on that to find what's best for different types of shot.