PDA

View Full Version : Free Online storage...

theMusicMan
24th November 2009, 06:02 PM
Hi All

I have recently needed an online method of collaborating with Lloyd on some of his work and came across a brilliant tool for synchronising across multiple PC's and sharing files with others.

It's a free app called DropBox and is available on www.dropbox.com

On my Mac, it comes with 2GB of online storage, and appears simply as another drive on ones machine. You can choose to share directories within this 'drive' with whoever you want, or to keep them private. You can also automatically sync with multiple computers/handhelds etc.

Of course, you can pay something and get more storage etc, but this is a great way of sharing files and collaborating if you have the need.

Ian
24th November 2009, 06:27 PM
Hi All

I have recently needed an online method of collaborating with Lloyd on some of his work and came across a brilliant tool for synchronising across multiple PC's and sharing files with others.

It's a free app called DropBox and is available on www.dropbox.com

On my Mac, it comes with 2GB of online storage, and appears simply as another drive on ones machine. You can choose to share directories within this 'drive' with whoever you want, or to keep them private. You can also automatically sync with multiple computers/handhelds etc.

Of course, you can pay something and get more storage etc, but this is a great way of sharing files and collaborating if you have the need.

Of course if you have your own server :) you can create a sharepoint driver using WebDAV :D

But seriously, I have heard good things about DropBox.

Ian

StephenL
24th November 2009, 06:30 PM
You can also easily do this simply by registering with a web serving organisation with your own web name. You can get about 25 Gb from about 2 per month with many of these, usually found in the ads in computer magazines.

My main concern about any online storage is, what happens when they close down?

shirley
24th November 2009, 07:18 PM
Dropbox is a very good option for sharing. We use it within the science department at school to share resources, update the various types of data we are required to keep and to pass any other information between members of the department, it works very well and automatically updates any changes on the three computers I am using, so I can keep in sync with myself!!!.
The issue of the close down of the organisation is really not a problem because we are using it to share rather than store, although it could be used to store as well.

gno
24th November 2009, 08:35 PM
Re Dropdown

I would be very concerned if any sensitive data were being stored on their servers in view of the security implications, data protection act and also the concerns of others regarding their EULA.

shirley
24th November 2009, 08:49 PM
Yes gno, so would I. The type of data I referred to does not refer to individual pupils or staff, all this information is kept securely on separate systems which fully conform to data protection considerations. The data we share via Dropbox is to do with departmental progress and is not in the slightest bit sensitive and is all in the public domain, its just useful to have it all in one place. The information which is passed between members of the department includes cover notes, lesson plans and ideas for teaching different topics, including resources. Most of the information within Dropbox is also shared with other schools and teachers.

theMusicMan
24th November 2009, 08:50 PM
Blimey - there's a lot of negativity on e-group this evening!!:eek:*yes

I wouldn't put sensitive information anywhere online. Period.

Yes of course you can do it yourself via a web host, but this actually costs something - dropbox (at least the 2GB service) is free. I actually own my own web server (I don't rent one, I have purchased one) and have all the trimmings associated with it, and would still find using a service such as this more effective for quick drag and drop items, especially collaborating on files - which is the main reason I am using it with Lloyd.

DropBox also automatically synchronises your data between however many machines you have set up to synchronise between. So, if you have a document you're working on at work, you can put this in your dropbox and sync it to the machine at home automatically. Sure, you can email the document to yourself if you prefer - but to me, this is a far more elegant solution.

It's a bit like Apple's MobileMe service - but free!! :)

shirley
24th November 2009, 08:55 PM
Blimey - there's a lot of negativity on e-group this evening!!:eek:*yes

I wouldn't put sensitive information anywhere online. Period.

I agree, neither would I :eek:

Kiwi Paul
25th November 2009, 11:21 AM
Open an MSN account and get a "Skydrive" with 25GB of online storage space for free. I haven't played much with it but you can share it with other people.

Paul

theMusicMan
25th November 2009, 11:35 AM
Why would I want to do that when I don't use MSN, don't use Hotmail, and want to inform people of what I thought was a good collaboration app... i.e. Dropbox...?