PDA

View Full Version : Online Photography Course

stevednp3
24th November 2009, 12:38 PM
Im currently looking to do an online course so that I can gain a certificate or even better a qualification in photography so that i can put on my website etc.

Im looking at a online course as I will find it hard at the moment to find the time to go to a college etc and with an online course I can do it in my own time

I have looked around and seen courses like this

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/spi/

Was hoping someone could recommend a course that would be suitable for me and if anyone has any experience of the above courses *chr

EH1
24th November 2009, 01:00 PM
Steve, I think the best course they do is the diploma in digital photography. (is this the course you were looking at?) I studied photography years ago at London Central School of Art, so have no experience of home study courses, however I have heard good things about this course! Good Luck with it Steve! ;)

stevednp3
24th November 2009, 01:21 PM
Cheers Edward that is the one I was considering, but would prefer a qualification if there is any I can do from home as this course only gives a certificate at the end, doing some googling at the moment *zzz

The Saint
24th November 2009, 01:59 PM
Steve

I'm not sure how good this course is and I can't remember how I came by the website originally, but I understand you can take your studies up to degree level.

http://www.oca-uk.com/

I've been considering doing a course for some time, but never quite got around to making any firm plans.

Simon

mike_j
24th November 2009, 02:37 PM
Steve

I have done the old AP Diploma (now seems to be split into two modules) and I found it useful. It's main function for me was to get me out of the rut, taking the same type of subject in the same way year after year. The benefit is the variety of modules you have to take and the tutor's individual feedback.

You are correct that it is not an official qualification, though it has some unofficial recognition and would be well worth adding to a cv.

I looked at the OCA a couple of times but it is very expensive and decided it wasn't for me. You might like to look at this thread on DPNow

http://dpnow.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=9068

Nick Temple-Fry
24th November 2009, 04:20 PM
Surely the key is 'public recognition' of the qualification. And personally I do not think there is overmuch public recognition or respect for a diploma (whatever the level of actual achievement/worth it has).

About the only 'qualification' that seems to have general recognition are those of the RPS which are not course based. There are some members of this forum who have gained these awards.

Nick

jonesy
24th November 2009, 04:20 PM
I'm on my final push for my OU course in "Digital Photography - creating and sharing better images. In my OU course forum, others have mentioned the OCA course, I'll dig around the course forum tonight and see what others are planning :)

ndl0071
24th November 2009, 04:21 PM
Im currently looking to do an online course so that I can gain a certificate or even better a qualification in photography so that i can put on my website etc.

Im looking at a online course as I will find it hard at the moment to find the time to go to a college etc and with an online course I can do it in my own time

I have looked around and seen courses like this

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/spi/

Was hoping someone could recommend a course that would be suitable for me and if anyone has any experience of the above courses *chr

Steve, I'm unclear as to your motivation, is it that you want to improve your photography or is it that you are looking for a 'stamp of approval' for you, your work and your website? If it's the former then a course is obviously the way to go, alternatively if it's the latter why not work toward an LRPS award.

http://www.rps.org/licentiateship

This is the route that attracts me, I'm just fighting for time at the moment to be able to take it seriously enough.:(

Anyway it's just an idea:)

ndl0071
24th November 2009, 04:26 PM
Wow, it looks as though Nick and I were having the same thoughts the same time, no wonder I've got a headache?

Great minds think alike:D

shirley
24th November 2009, 07:09 PM
Hi Steve,
I successfully achieved an 'L' in May 2008. I came to it because, just like you, I was looking for a way to develop my photography and did a search for courses. I quickly realised that with work and other commitements a traditional course would not be possible. During one internet search I found the RPS and spent sometime lurking on the forum, finally I submitted some images for advice as to whether I was anywhere near the standard. They were so bad it is now embarrasing when I look back, but as a result I was contacted by a Fellow of the society who took me under his wing and mentored me over the next 9months of very hard work. I learnt, and still continue to learn, so much. I dont care about having letters after my name, the only place I use them is if I enter National or International Exhibitions and on my website, but the learning process was amazing, I am now working towards my 'A' and am continuing to learn more and develop my skills. You do have to be self motivated, the only deadline is the one you choose yourself i.e. the assessment date you book, but I have found it to be an invaluable experience. Of course you can join RPS and benefit from the courses, groups and workshops they run without going for a distinction - its horses for courses.
If you have any specific questions I can help with please feel free to ask. My successful panel is on my website if you want to have a look.
Hope that is of some help.
Shirley

stevednp3
24th November 2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice, the reason I want to do a course is for the 2 reasons Neil stated. As im self taught I would like to do a course to cover things I have learnt myself and make sure im doing things properly, although im getting more and more confident in my own methods im sure there are things I have missed that I could pickup from a course.

And sadly yes im also looking for a stamp of approval to put on my website, taking everything on board, maybe my best option for the short term is the LRPS option, I found another society here - http://www.swpp.co.uk/

What do you think, should I go for something this for the short term and then revisit course options when I have more time ?

*chr

stevednp3
24th November 2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks again everyone I have decided to go the rps route and aim for LRPS, I think the membership will give me the stamp of approval I feel I need and also help me improve my photography *yes I'll sign up tomorrow and get the ball rolling.

Ellie
25th November 2009, 08:08 PM
Good luck with it Steve. Don't forget to let us know how you get on. :)

I keep looking at and for courses, but have been wary of some providers because their courses aren't recognised by anybody except themselves.

The OCA one caught my eye recently too. I found out that their degrees are awarded through Bucks New University (http://bucks.ac.uk/) so it's a "proper" degree. It seems a bit cheaper than one where you have to attend classes, but it's still quite expensive.

stevednp3
25th November 2009, 08:34 PM
Yes will do thanks Ellie, im all signed up, just have to wait for the welcome pack so I can move forward with LRPS, I'll post back with an update and let you know how I get on *chr

ndl0071
25th November 2009, 08:57 PM
:cool::cool: