PDA

View Full Version : iso bracketing

sapper
29th January 2008, 10:48 PM
Went out early yesterday morning to get some HDR shots so I put the camera on exposure bracket, or so I thought. Got home and looked at them on the monitor and the histogram is the same for them all, no over or under shots. When I checked, I had put the camera on iso bracketing by mistake!
Can anyone tell me why the E 3 has this facility, I cannot for the life of me think of any good reason, except to catch me out:o
Dave.

Invicta
30th January 2008, 07:22 PM
Hi

I would have expected ISO bracketing to under and over exposure just the same as if you bracketed with aperture or shutter speed.

One problem is if you set it at ISO 100 to start with then it will not be able to decrease the exposure as it can not go below 100.

I did wonder if ISO bracketing would work in HDR but have not had any time to try it out.

sapper
30th January 2008, 08:35 PM
Hi

I would have expected ISO bracketing to under and over exposure just the same as if you bracketed with aperture or shutter speed.

One problem is if you set it at ISO 100 to start with then it will not be able to decrease the exposure as it can not go below 100.

I did wonder if ISO bracketing would work in HDR but have not had any time to try it out.

I wouldn't.
When bracketing exposure, camera exposes 3 shots, 1 correct, 1 under & 1 over exposed.
With the iso bracketing the camera just adjusts the shutter speed/aperture to get the correct exposure so all shots are correctly exposed.
Frustrating.

Dave.

Invicta
30th January 2008, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't.
When bracketing exposure, camera exposes 3 shots, 1 correct, 1 under & 1 over exposed.
With the iso bracketing the camera just adjusts the shutter speed/aperture to get the correct exposure so all shots are correctly exposed.
Frustrating.

Dave.

Not sure what happened and I haven't been able to test but the manual on page 51 states: ISO Bracketing. The camera automatically takes pictures at a different ISO sensitivity with the shutter speed and aperature value fixed.

R MacE
30th January 2008, 09:16 PM
Thats correct but what way does it do it?

If you wanted to lock the aperture and allow the iso bracket to adjust the shutter speed would you shoot in A or S?

The other thing is that you only actually take 1 shot but the camera creates 3 files at different iso ratings. I tried in A mode and it the exif gives the same shutter speed and aperture for all 3 shots, the only difference is in the recorded iso.

art frames
30th January 2008, 09:21 PM
Dave

When you bracket exposure does it take all three with one shutter press or do you have to take three shots?

I was doing adjustment manually today using the +/- button and wheel but it would be far better to get it automatically if it is simple. I find the manual very little help on technique, it just says how things operate so sorry if this si a dumb question.

Peter.

sapper
30th January 2008, 10:05 PM
Dave

When you bracket exposure does it take all three with one shutter press or do you have to take three shots?

I was doing adjustment manually today using the +/- button and wheel but it would be far better to get it automatically if it is simple. I find the manual very little help on technique, it just says how things operate so sorry if this si a dumb question.

Peter.
Peter.
You have to take three shots. First time I did it I expected the camera to take three shots and came back dissapointed.
What a learning curve!
Dave.

Ijay37
30th January 2008, 10:45 PM
Peter.
You have to take three shots. First time I did it I expected the camera to take three shots and came back dissapointed.
What a learning curve!
Dave.

Sorry to disagree :o but you have to set the camera to sequential shooting as well as setting the bracketing you require, it will then take 3 or 5 shots with one press of the shutter button, and it is very fast
John

Jim Ford
31st January 2008, 09:49 AM
Sorry to disagree :o but you have to set the camera to sequential shooting as well as setting the bracketing you require, it will then take 3 or 5 shots with one press of the shutter button, and it is very fast
John

But it seems that you can't use the IR remote control when you use sequential shooting - which means if you're manually pressing the shutter you could inadvertently move the camera between shots, which is not what you'd want with HDR.

Jim Ford

Ijay37
31st January 2008, 02:34 PM
But it seems that you can't use the IR remote control when you use sequential shooting - which means if you're manually pressing the shutter you could inadvertently move the camera between shots, which is not what you'd want with HDR.

Jim Ford

Sorry again, I have no experience of the IR remote. Just a stab in the dark but could you make any use of the mirror lockup? The cable remote works OK but they are expensive and not all that long. Hope you find a solution.
John