PDA

View Full Version : Transferrable Warranty

jamie allan
22nd November 2009, 10:16 PM
Hi,
Can anyone shed light on the Olympus 2 year warranty if you sell on the goods you bought. Reason I ask is that I contacted SRSMicrosystems re purchasing a 620 and the possibility of a trade in of my 410 which has 7 months warranty left - I bought it in June 2008. I was told by SRS staff that the warranty is not transferrable - even if you supply the original receipt.
Jamie

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd November 2009, 11:32 PM
So what happens to all the items bought as presents?

I thought the warranty applied to the goods rather than the owner.

Where's the lawyers ???

gregles
23rd November 2009, 12:07 AM
Hi Jamie have you tried ffordes for a trade in price?

Might be worth an email*yes

https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm

jamie allan
23rd November 2009, 08:11 PM
Gregles,
Thanks for the suggestion. I only asked SRS because their selling price of the 620 was the best I could find - if you include the grip. I think I'd sell the 410 on ebay - if I were to sell it - as the prices there seem better. My son is still deciding if he wants to move up from a bridge camera to a DSLR. He can see the difference in quality of image - even my images - but is reluctant to get too techie with a camera yet.
Jamie

Ken Lister
23rd November 2009, 08:27 PM
So what happens to all the items bought as presents?

I thought the warranty applied to the goods rather than the owner.

Where's the lawyers ???

Apparently you have to include a statement along with the gift and receipt, eg: 'Merry Xmas - An Olympus E620 with all of my Sale of Goods Acts Rights.' The recipient then has all the legal rights of the original purchaser.

Kiwi Paul
23rd November 2009, 08:49 PM
Does Santa know this?? lol

Paul

Ken Lister
24th November 2009, 10:11 AM
Does Santa know this?? lol

Paul

Santa merely acts as a third party gift broker and delivery agency between the supplier (The Elves) and the final recipient of said goods and is therefore not subject to the Sale of Goods Act.

However, failure to deliver the correct goods at the stipulated time could leave him open to breach of contract.

Adagio
24th November 2009, 12:31 PM
Apparently you have to include a statement along with the gift and receipt, eg: 'Merry Xmas - An Olympus E620 with all of my Sale of Goods Acts Rights.' The recipient then has all the legal rights of the original purchaser.

Firstly disclaimer IANAL. But the following I believe to be true.

Assumption - goods are bought by an individual acting as a consumer from a seller acting in the course of a business.

One needs to distinguish between statutory consumer rights and those gained by the supply of a guarantee/warranty.

In the case of the former the contract is made between the buyer and seller (the parties to the contract). If the goods are intended as a gift then the buyer should make this clear to the seller in writing making the recipient a party. Only parties to the contract have rights under the SoGA.

In the case of a manufacturer's warranty (for which there is no statutory requirement) the terms of the warranty are as written. To check whether the Oly 2 year warranty is transferable one would need to read it.

jamie allan
27th November 2009, 02:04 PM
I've just had a reply from Olympus re my query about transferring warranty - seems like it can't - so the srs microsystems guy was right. Something to remember if/when buying an almost new item. The mail is as below

From: customer.support@olympus.co.uk <customer.support@olympus.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Fw: Contact-Us-Request
To: jamie.allan2@btopenworld.com
Date: Friday, 27 November, 2009, 12:39

Dear Mr Allan,

Unfortunately the 2 year warranty cannot be transferred from owner to owner.

Kind regards,

Customer Support

Olympus
Goods In 4
The Cordwainers
Temple Farm Industrial Estate
Southend On Sea
Essex
SS2 5RU

Repair Service
Tel: 0800 111 4888
Fax: +44 (0) 1702 445134