PDA

View Full Version : Interesting quote from another forum

TRIPLEPOT
22nd November 2009, 02:39 PM
I frequent a wrist watch forum for collectors, this has a photography sub forum as there are collectors who photograph their watches and like photography in general.
Anyway there is a thread about what DSLR to buy, the OP is thinking of upgrading from a compact to an E-620. As you can guess the Nikon/Canon gang warn him off>:( despite a couple of us Olympus owners telling him it's a good choice.
I think this poster made some very good points:)*yes

And that's how they maintain their massive market share. Not because they are better in every technical sense but because people go the 'easy' way (note the similarity here with the massive market share of Roles). It's often the smaller manufacturers who innovate more, because it is their only way to get some attention. In digital SLRs, Oly was the first to design a digital system from the ground up (as opposed to a digital body to accept existing series of lenses from the analogue days), they were the first to integrate a dust removal system (still the best), the first to give a DSLR 'Live View'... I think they deserve some credit for that, and thus also some customer dollars.

Personally I have two Olympus DSLRs: an E-500 and more recently an E-620. The latter is a huge improvement and offers almost anything a newbie user might want, and then some. I don't care for the art filters, but it has excellent colour rendition, good dynamic range and good white balance, produces fine jpegs straight out of the camera (and raw images if you want it to), has capable auto focus, capable image stabilisation in-camera (as opposed to having IS in the lenses; which is a choice you really need to be aware of: in-camera means it works with whatever lens you use, even old manual lenses on an adaptor), and the rotating live-view screen comes in very handy sometimes.

I also have a bag full of analog Olympus OM gear including 4 camera bodies and a number of good OM-Zuiko mount lenses which I can use with an adaptor on the E-series SLRs but which would have been totally useless on a Canon or Nikon due to the greater lens mount-sensor distance. So for me the choice was relatively simple: I bought an E-500 two-lens kit a few years ago, and later added an E-620 with one short standard zoom; and also have the use of some pretty good manual OM-Zuiko lenses like a fast 1.4/50 mm and a 400 mm supertele almost for free (with an adaptor from eBay).

If one has a handful of older Nikon or Canon lenses lying around, especially expensive long teles etc., and they fit a modern CaNikon body without an adaptor and maintain their autofocus capability, then the choice is evident: stick with the same brand. If you have no such older glass, you are free to pick whatever you feel you like. Try it out, read reviews, make your own choice. No need to follow the pack.

It's turning into a bit of a debate*zzz Will have to see how it finishes

Mike

Jim Ford
22nd November 2009, 04:50 PM
Paste this link on the forum:

'The Drawbacks of 4/3rds System'

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=33715859

Jim

theMusicMan
22nd November 2009, 05:33 PM
Yes indeed, yawn yawn to the Canikon fanboys. They really get a tad boring after a while don't they - hence my no longer frequenting an otherwise very good general photography forum any longer.

I have no interest in arguing with pixel peeping, ignorant fanboys.

TRIPLEPOT
22nd November 2009, 05:57 PM
Paste this link on the forum:

'The Drawbacks of 4/3rds System'

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=33715859

Jim

Nice one Jim *chr

I will go and fan some flames :)
Mike

Rod Souter
22nd November 2009, 08:07 PM
Perhaps this may help the pixel peepers:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0toBw68L5Y4

Rod

OMSchwep
23rd November 2009, 12:47 AM
The post on the watch forum was mine, BTW; Mike posted it here with my permission. He kindly pointed me to this forum, and here I am. Always willing to pick up some useful info on my cameras, or share some. Started with an OM-2 (no 'n' yet) in 1977 when I worked in a camera shop; later extended the OM kit to a total of 4 bodies and a good handful of lenses and such. Continued with the E-series, E-500 and now E-620. Still think the OMs were among the greatest cameras ever made. My OM-2 helped me take some amazing shots. Best metering system ever designed. So I have a weak spot for Olympus gear, even though I know it is not perfect (as they still have not built a digital OM-1 or OM-2...). ;-)

TRIPLEPOT
23rd November 2009, 12:57 AM
The post on the watch forum was mine, BTW; Mike posted it here with my permission. He kindly pointed me to this forum, and here I am. Always willing to pick up some useful info on my cameras, or share some. Started with an OM-2 (no 'n' yet) in 1977 when I worked in a camera shop; later extended the OM kit to a total of 4 bodies and a good handful of lenses and such. Continued with the E-series, E-500 and now E-620. Still think the OMs were among the greatest cameras ever made. My OM-2 helped me take some amazing shots. Best metering system ever designed. So I have a weak spot for Olympus gear, even though I know it is not perfect (as they still have not built a digital OM-1 or OM-2...). ;-)

Welcome *chr hope you enjoy it over here:)
Mike

Zuiko
23rd November 2009, 12:59 AM
Hi OMSchwep, and welcome!

That's a great post you put on the other forum. Nice to have you here. :)

Zuiko
23rd November 2009, 01:07 AM
Incidentally, when newcommers to photography ask for advice I've noticed Canikon owners always warn them off Olympus and promote their own chosen brand as if it is the only option worth considering.

I always urge those who ask advice to compare the Oly they are considering with a similar priced Nikon and Canon to see which one handles best for them and to ensure they make the right choice.

Who's got the most confidence in their chosen brand, me or the Canikon owners? :D

Xpres
24th November 2009, 10:44 AM
There's nothing better than going into a shop and trying out a whole bunch of cameras to find the one that suits you, and the task to which you'll apply it, best. Sometimes you even get to take one away for a day for a test drive.
Too many decisions are taken, these days, from online reviews and second hand opinions and later regretted which perhaps leads to a little over zealousness in forums. Are they in denial? Blocking out that decision to buy before they tried?
Comparing reviews and prices online is a good idea but no substitute for first hand experience - which might even lead you back to film! :eek::D

BTW OM Zuiko lenses will work on a Canon but not a Nikon. The Nikon would need a lens in the adapter to reach infinity.

A digital OM1 - Wouldn't that be fantastic!*yes

AlistairJ
24th November 2009, 02:30 PM
Its a strange one isn't it?

I can understand why the Canon (and Nikon) faithful would consider their chosen systems as being the only rational choice, and I can fully appreciate their desire to convey the reasons for this on wavering newbies.

As for my reasons for choosing 4/3rds, they are tenuous at best. I take comfort in the fact that even if I had gone with one of the big two, I'd still have doubts that the other one may have been a better choice. Plus, I didn't make the mistake of buying into the Sony or Pentax systems (even though I do generally like Pentax and used to have an ME Super).

Zuiko
24th November 2009, 03:01 PM
Its a strange one isn't it?

I can understand why the Canon (and Nikon) faithful would consider their chosen systems as being the only rational choice, and I can fully appreciate their desire to convey the reasons for this on wavering newbies.

As for my reasons for choosing 4/3rds, they are tenuous at best. I take comfort in the fact that even if I had gone with one of the big two, I'd still have doubts that the other one may have been a better choice. Plus, I didn't make the mistake of buying into the Sony or Pentax systems (even though I do generally like Pentax and used to have an ME Super).

Why are the Sony and Pentax systems a mistake? They both offer what some photographers want and, most importantly, offer another choice of handling experience. :)

Kiwi Paul
24th November 2009, 03:40 PM
My take on the whole brand thing is that Oly owners generally buy the kit for a reason that the gear suits them and they recognise the quality of the images etc is absolutely fine, Oly owners don't seem to be hung up on one ups manship rather buying what they need/ want to get the job done and make photography a more enjoyable experience.
Some of the Canikon owners seem to be more intent on making a statement with the equipment they own and want to have the biggest, best, fastest most up to date model to impress thier peers rather than just for the purpose of photography, of course thats a general statement and I'm sure there are some very nice Canikon owners out there who just like us only have what they need to get the job done ;-)

Paul

AlistairJ
24th November 2009, 03:54 PM
Why are the Sony and Pentax systems a mistake? They both offer what some photographers want and, most importantly, offer another choice of handling experience. :)

Well I suppose they aren't, only IMO there is even less reason to buy one of those instead of a Canikon.

Three good reasons for buying Sony:
1) you have legacy glass from Minolta (I have a colleague who has a superb set of these, but didn't know he could use them on a Sony DSLR, he bought a Nikon).
2) you want the cheapest full frame body on the market right now (A850).
3) you work for Sony and hence get 1) a discount b) not lynched at the company barbeque

Two reasons for buying a Pentax
1) you have legacy K-mount glass from Pentax.
2) you work for Samsung (same arguments as for Sony).

You are right though, to each his own, horses for courses and all that *chr

Zuiko
24th November 2009, 04:03 PM
My take on the whole brand thing is that Oly owners generally buy the kit for a reason that the gear suits them and they recognise the quality of the images etc is absolutely fine, Oly owners don't seem to be hung up on one ups manship rather buying what they need/ want to get the job done and make photography a more enjoyable experience.
Some of the Canikon owners seem to be more intent on making a statement with the equipment they own and want to have the biggest, best, fastest most up to date model to impress thier peers rather than just for the purpose of photography, of course thats a general statement and I'm sure there are some very nice Canikon owners out there who just like us only have what they need to get the job done ;-)

Paul

There are many brilliant photographers who use Canikon for entirely the right reasons and produce fantastic results. In fact, it must be said that most of the top pros use one or other of those two brands.

However, there is a small but vociferous element who take this fact to mean that these systems are not only superior but that no other system is worth considering. These are the people (I won't call them photographers) who fall into the category described by Paul. No doubt, they are also the people who think that having the very latest gear from "the top brand" carries a kudos that excuses the dire photographs that they almost certainly produce.

Unfortunately they are by nature the most vocal (like in business, if you can't do it learn to talk a good fight) and in being so they give a bad name to the many accomplished amateur Canikon users who prefer to let their photographs do the talking.