PDA

View Full Version : Desire over reason :-)

Kiwi Paul
21st November 2009, 09:18 PM
Have you ever desired something you can have but reason says you shouldn't do it?
That my delima at the moment.

I REALLY WANT the Zuiko 14-35mm f2.0 SWD Top pro lens, for lots of reasons, that lens really tugs at my heart strings but at a cost £££££, however I've just found it online from a very reputable seller at a price thats probably going to be as cheap as I'll ever get it and combined with the Oly cash back offer it's really the best opportunity I'll get to buy one new.

However it's still a LOT of dosh, yes I can afford it but that money would be better sitting in a bank account wouldn't it??

I may not become a better photographer if I get the lens but the pleasure of owning it and having such a lovely thing and appreciating the sheer quality of what it offers makes it sooooo tempting.

I know the 12-60 covers a wider focal length (but it's a measly f2.8-4.0) but the 14-35 makes keeping the 9-18mm more worthwhile AND I already have a EC20 so with that in my pocket the 14-35 becomes a 14-70 f2.0-4.0 and yes I know the 14-35 reputedly has some auto focus issues but these seem to be lens dependant and the one I used on the Scotland meet worked perfectly.

So should I be sensible and keep my perfectly adequate 12-60mm SWD or be the devil sell the 12-60mm and buy the 14-35 just coz I REALLY want it and would appreciate it?

Oooooh temptation

Paul

Zuiko
21st November 2009, 10:31 PM
Have you ever desired something you can have but reason says you shouldn't do it?
That my delima at the moment.

I REALLY WANT the Zuiko 14-35mm f2.0 SWD Top pro lens, for lots of reasons, that lens really tugs at my heart strings but at a cost £££££, however I've just found it online from a very reputable seller at a price thats probably going to be as cheap as I'll ever get it and combined with the Oly cash back offer it's really the best opportunity I'll get to buy one new.

However it's still a LOT of dosh, yes I can afford it but that money would be better sitting in a bank account wouldn't it??

I may not become a better photographer if I get the lens but the pleasure of owning it and having such a lovely thing and appreciating the sheer quality of what it offers makes it sooooo tempting.

I know the 12-60 covers a wider focal length (but it's a measly f2.8-4.0) but the 14-35 makes keeping the 9-18mm more worthwhile AND I already have a EC20 so with that in my pocket the 14-35 becomes a 14-70 f2.0-4.0 and yes I know the 14-35 reputedly has some auto focus issues but these seem to be lens dependant and the one I used on the Scotland meet worked perfectly.

So should I be sensible and keep my perfectly adequate 12-60mm SWD or be the devil sell the 12-60mm and buy the 14-35 just coz I REALLY want it and would appreciate it?

Oooooh temptation

Paul

Hi Paul,

I understand the lust for this lens because I am a fellow sufferer and as with you it's all Ian's fault!

If you really can afford it I would say "yes, why not?" That constant f2 aperture is amazing and the quality even wide open is startling! However, if you have other priorities to which that cash would be better directed then it has to be said that the 12-60 is pretty amazing in it's own right.

It has to be your call, but in your position I'm not sure that I would be strong enough to resist the temptation. :D

Dick Bowman
22nd November 2009, 08:32 AM
[... deleted ...] but that money would be better sitting in a bank account wouldn't it??[... deleted ...]

At the derisory interest rates they are currently offering?

theMusicMan
22nd November 2009, 08:35 AM
Hey Paul

You mentioned you can afford it... well in my opinion, there's your answer. If you had said you "could/might/perhaps afford" etc then that's different, but you said you can afford it.

Go for it... you know you want to.:)

Wreckdiver
22nd November 2009, 11:42 AM
Go for it if you can afford it. I was asking myself the same question last year when considering the 7-14mm - I went for it.

The only problem is that I now want a 35-100mm f.2.0 *yes and then wouldn't a 90-250mm f/2.8 be nice? :eek:

You can't beat some f/2.0 glass :)

Steve

EH1
22nd November 2009, 01:16 PM
The last place you want your money at the moment is in the bank! Get the lens, you could always sell it again in the future if you needed the money! ;)

Kiwi Paul
22nd November 2009, 06:31 PM
Hmmm the consensus seems to be "Go for it!!" gulp lol.

Well my delima has just been amplified, I've now found a 2nd hand one from a UK online shop for about £170 less than what the brand spankers new one would cost, I'll need to ring and get the low down on the 2nd hand one, but assumming it's a good one with a warranty etc should I save some dosh and get that or just pay the extra and get the new one with the 2 year Oly warranty plus the bonus it's new?

Life can be soooo tough sometimes ;-)

Paul

Wreckdiver
22nd November 2009, 06:40 PM
I've now found a 2nd hand one from a UK online shop for about £170 less than what the brand spankers new one would cost .....should I save some dosh and get that or just pay the extra and get the new one with the 2 year Oly warranty plus the bonus it's new?

There's £90 cashback on a new lens and with a full warranty this is a no brainer.

Wreckdiver
22nd November 2009, 06:47 PM
How does this price compare: 14-35mm f.2.0 (http://www.b4utele.com/products/all/all/35000093.htm)?

Don't know anything about the company though.

Steve

Kiwi Paul
22nd November 2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks Steve,

The price seems very good but they ship from HK so add 20% tax and duty + 20 quid shipping and ins so the best price I've found is still from Amazon -90 quid Oly cash back.

The second hand lens is 170 cheaper after Oly cash back.

Paul

Wreckdiver
22nd November 2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks Steve,

The price seems very good but they ship from HK so add 20% tax and duty + 20 quid shipping and ins so the best price I've found is still from Amazon -90 quid Oly cash back.

The second hand lens is 170 cheaper after Oly cash back.

Paul

Ah, OK, it was just a quick search.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the resulting photos.

Steve

Wreckdiver
22nd November 2009, 07:26 PM
Never thought to look on Amazon for lenses. They've got the 35-100mm for £1,691.68 then less the £100 cashback. Hmm............ interesting (and tempting).

35-100mm

Steve

Kiwi Paul
22nd November 2009, 10:43 PM
Oh no what have I done????? I just pressed the button so that's it, it's on it's way "cringe" lol.

Anyone in the market for a 12-60, E520 and 25mm Pancake lens?? Serious. I'll be putting up for sale in a few days on the forum then E-bay if no takers.

Paul

steverh
22nd November 2009, 10:50 PM
The Amazon 1-Click option can get you into serious trouble! *yes

DerekC
23rd November 2009, 08:26 AM
I have used the 14-35 f2 you will not be dissapointed with the quality. Not a light lens but so bright. I went through the same should I shouldn't I when I bought my 90-250. Not regretted it. :)

ChrisW
23rd November 2009, 08:13 PM
I don’t want to worry you, but in Decembers Digital Camera World luxury lens review the lens won the Digital Camera Editors Choice. Quoting the review “Expensive to buy, this Olympus 14-35mm is nevertheless as near perfection as we’ve ever seen in a standard zoom lens.”

Sounds like you have bought a pup. Send it down to Edinburgh and I’ll be sure to give it a good home ;)

Kiwi Paul
23rd November 2009, 09:08 PM
Yep sounds like a lemon to me, what have I done???? lol

Yeah I've always liked that lens and dreamed of owning it, since it will become my walk about lens and will get used constantly I can (just about) justify buying it lol.

Hopefully arriving tomorrow :-)

Paul

Zuiko
23rd November 2009, 09:25 PM
Be careful when viewing the pictures. Don't touch the screen - they're so sharp you could cut yourself! :eek:

Kiwi Paul
23rd November 2009, 09:56 PM
lol, I can't wait for it to arrive, I'm like a little kid the night before Xmas lol

Paul

gregles
23rd November 2009, 11:04 PM
Nice one Paul:)

Make sure it accompanies you on the next Scotland meet please:p

sapper
24th November 2009, 10:28 AM
lol, I can't wait for it to arrive, I'm like a little kid the night before Xmas lol

Paul
I have no sympathy for you Paul. This thread has got me salivating!

Kiwi Paul
24th November 2009, 08:40 PM
It came today, although the courier left it with a neighbour and he didn't get home till 7.

It's big, black and beautiful and did I mention big lol. I've had a bit of a play, photographed Roz (my dog) and a few other boring things, it's pitch black outside so dunno when I'll get a chance to really use it properly. It seems to focus ok even in poor light which was one of the complaints about them so thats good.
The shallow DOF (f2.0) is going to be interesting to, looking forward to playing around with the large aperture and obviously great for low light work.

It really does make the 12-60 look like a small lens though but it fits into my camera bag attached to the camera.

I'll try to get out this weekend and I'll post some shots :-)

Paul

Zuiko
25th November 2009, 12:07 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing some pics!

In the meantime, here's one I took a while ago on a borrowed 14-35mm - probably the same one you borrowed from Ian!

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Covent_Garden.jpg
14mm f2

BTW You had to buy it really. If desire didn't always triumph over reason non of us would ever get married! *laugh