PDA

View Full Version : E-3 Firmware update v1.1

Solar
29th January 2008, 07:02 AM
This is pretty cool ... a nice update addressing a few recent issues:

Cut & Pasted:

Enabled use of the Image Stabilization function with non-Four Thirds System interchangeable lenses by inputting a specific focal length.
For details on operations, please click on the URL.

-

Matched the rotation of the dial on the rear of the Power Battery Holder HLD-4 and the movement direction of the AF target.

-

Increased the number of storable still pictures by improving the battery check when the Power Battery Holder HLD-4 is attached.

-

Focusing now stops immediately when the AF start button (AEL/AFL or Fn button) is released.

-

Corrected the phenomenon where the flash control caused an under exposure while using bounce flash at short distances with the FL-50R or FL-36R Electronic Flash.

-

Improved selection and prioritization of the central 5 ranging points when shooting in C-AF mode and Dynamic-single Target mode.

You can d/l the pdf detailing this update here: http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/esystem/data_e3_1.1_e510_1.3_ENU.pdf

And ofc, to update, do the usual.

Also, according to some on the American forum (dp) it resets your user settings back to default factory ... therefore if you have found a settings combo you really like, I advise you write it down so that you can quickly put it back the way you liked it ....

Updated also is the E-510 ....

Happy Shooting!!

Thank you Olympus!!

ajwh
29th January 2008, 07:51 AM
Yeah!!!!

Oly DO listen. Now I can use IS with my Zuiko 500mm mirror lens!!!!

Andrew

emirpprime
29th January 2008, 08:08 AM
No thats a worthwhile update. I'll even go download and install master just for it.
Thanks for bring it up,
Phil

ukanalyst
29th January 2008, 08:27 AM
Wayhey! That's fantastic news!

Corrected the phenomenon where the flash control caused an under exposure while using bounce flash at short distances with the FL-50R or FL-36R Electronic Flash.

I experienced this when shooting static car displays at AutoSport International earlier this month ... after struggling with a few shots (my first outing with the E-3 too) I decided to remove the FL-50 and shoot with a higher ISO instead which actually did a really good job ... much better than my E-500 did. So glad it was fault (and it's now fixed of course!)!

Increased the number of storable still pictures by improving the battery check when the Power Battery Holder HLD-4 is attached.

Not sure I fully understand this ... are they talking about number of pictures you can take before the batteries tell you they are empty do you think/know?

Thanks for posting Solar and thanks to Olympus!

Dave

theMusicMan
29th January 2008, 08:27 AM
That's an excellent load of enhancements/fixes/improvements for one release. Super stuff... I will be upgrading before my next venture out on the weekend.

Paulpp
29th January 2008, 08:44 AM
Just updated and can confirm all settings were reset.

PeterD
29th January 2008, 09:59 AM
Updated. Please note that an update for the 70-300mm lens is also available. To do with improved image stabalisation - very interesting:)

PeterD

dlinney
29th January 2008, 01:07 PM
URL for the site is:
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

Remember that the update deletes all your user settings.

There is a useful list of all E-3 parameters at:

http://www.karlach.net/mymode07.xls (Excel 2007 Format)
http://www.karlach.net/mymode03.xls (Excel 2003 Format)

so that you can keep a record.

theMusicMan
29th January 2008, 02:05 PM
I have upgraded, all went smoothly with no issues. For those who may not have done this before here's what you do:

Connect Camera to USB port and turn on to Storage Mode
Launch Olympus Master
Select Upgrade Icon
Follow instructions on screen...

:)

Solar
29th January 2008, 03:44 PM
Wayhey! That's fantastic news!

I experienced this when shooting static car displays at AutoSport International earlier this month ... after struggling with a few shots (my first outing with the E-3 too) I decided to remove the FL-50 and shoot with a higher ISO instead which actually did a really good job ... much better than my E-500 did. So glad it was fault (and it's now fixed of course!)!

Not sure I fully understand this ... are they talking about number of pictures you can take before the batteries tell you they are empty do you think/know?

Thanks for posting Solar and thanks to Olympus!

Dave

I believe there was some inconsistency on what the camera indicates for # of frames left to shoot and what mathematically you should be able to reasonably get onto your card. This upgrade apparently will give you a more true account of frames left ....

Westy
29th January 2008, 06:34 PM
Yes update complete no problems, camera shows firmware as 1.1. It does take quite a few minutes though. I do wish manufacturers would show some kind of progress bar during these operations, its so easy for somebody to think nothings happening, and pull the plug with possible disastrous results.:)

shenstone
29th January 2008, 07:31 PM
URL for the site is:
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

Remember that the update deletes all your user settings.

There is a useful list of all E-3 parameters at:

http://www.karlach.net/mymode07.xls (Excel 2007 Format)
http://www.karlach.net/mymode03.xls (Excel 2003 Format)

so that you can keep a record.

Interesting that there is no such link or mention of 1.3 firmware on the Olympus UK site. Does anyone know of any issues in taking an Asian version of the firmware?

Regards
Andy

Melaka
29th January 2008, 07:37 PM
Like you I can't find anything on the UK site but I've just upgraded mine through Olympus Master2. Goodness knows what site it connected to but the download went OK.

Barr1e
29th January 2008, 07:40 PM
I have upgraded, all went smoothly with no issues. For those who may not have done this before here's what you do:

Connect Camera to USB port and turn on to Storage Mode
Launch Olympus Master
Select Upgrade Icon
Follow instructions on screen...

:)

John -

Thanks for that.

I always take a pic of the lcd screen settings so I can change the factory reset. It covers most and when reviewing those changes I seem to remember things that I use the FN button for etc.

Regards. Barr1e

dlinney
29th January 2008, 07:47 PM
Upgraded E-3 and guess what ....... despite my earlier post forgot to record my settings before the upgrade :mad:.

But then it means I can systematically go through the menus now and get it set up right (and record the settings!)

DOES IT WORK?

Well, 1/2 sec on my Zuiko OM 90mm Macro and there's camera shake!

But at 1/15 to 1/20 sec get good results. So reckoning that 1/180 = norm then looks like I'm getting three stops IS effect. Some 1/8 sec shots are OK when I was well braced against the wall. No bad at all. :)

Images taken at 1/20 sec - full frame and 100% crop:

PeterD
29th January 2008, 07:50 PM
Hi,

Has anyone missed my comment that an upgrade was aso available for the 70-300mm Lens;) Its just that all the comment since has mentioned the camera but not the lens update.

Sorry if this reminder is not needed but I know there are quite a few 70-300 lens owners out there.

PeterD

Solar
29th January 2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah as PeterD says the 70-300 is updated along with the E-3 and 510 ...

Invicta
29th January 2008, 08:27 PM
Anybody been able to check if the HLD-4 will work with AA batteries now with this firmware update?

ukanalyst
29th January 2008, 08:31 PM
I believe there was some inconsistency on what the camera indicates for # of frames left to shoot and what mathematically you should be able to reasonably get onto your card. This upgrade apparently will give you a more true account of frames left ....

Thanks Solar ... confused me as it said only an issue when HLD4 attached and the fix is an improvement to the battery check ... very strange!

Dave :)

ukanalyst
29th January 2008, 08:55 PM
Anybody been able to check if the HLD-4 will work with AA batteries now with this firmware update?

I'm just about to update mine ... must admit I haven't tried my grip with AA's yet so I'll try it before and after and report back.

Dave

Invicta
29th January 2008, 09:04 PM
I'm just about to update mine ... must admit I haven't tried my grip with AA's yet so I'll try it before and after and report back.

Dave

Cool, it would be interesting to know if this has been fixed as well.

ukanalyst
29th January 2008, 09:10 PM

Pre Update:

I tested the grip with some lightly-medium used alkaline cells and got nothing apart from the noise of the IS resetting itself on power down. I then tested with two fully charged Ni-MH cells and 4 new amsung Eneloop cells and got a brief moment of life before telling me the battery was empty.

Post update:

The alkalines gave me the same result but the Ni-MH/eneloop hybrid cells allow me to take several pictures with no complaints other than a low battery symbol on display in the top left hand corner of the screen.

Dave

ukanalyst
29th January 2008, 09:15 PM
One thing I've just noticed and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the update or not ... when taking a picture with the lens cap on (ie a long exposure) the red card access light blinks for a second or so (I assume the auto noise reduction in operation) and busy appears on the top display which also illuminates up of it's own accord.

I'm not sure if it's just that I didn't notice it before (I wouldn't normally take pictures with the lens cap on ... only when testing lol!) or if it's new with the update.

Dave