PDA

View Full Version : Concorde flies again.

Barr1e
28th January 2008, 08:24 PM
I would have enjoyed taking pix of this.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5898267244965694370

Regards. Barr1e

angelpaaul
28th January 2008, 08:28 PM
:eek::eek: I want one!!

theMusicMan
28th January 2008, 08:42 PM
Now that was awesome... what a flypast!

ndl0071
28th January 2008, 08:44 PM
A fantastic find Barrie, thanks for posting it:)

I still remember very well seeing the early commercial flights departing from LHR, a real experience and a real loss to the aviation world.

Barr1e
28th January 2008, 08:49 PM
A fantastic find Barrie, thanks for posting it:)

I still remember very well seeing the early commercial flights departing from LHR, a real experience and a real loss to the aviation world.

Same here Neil my only regret is never being on one of those (cheaper) flights around the bay.

Regards. Barr1e

ndl0071
28th January 2008, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=Barr1e;5815]Same here Neil my only regret is never being on one of those (cheaper) flights around the bay.

Same here Barrie, never made it, I suppose at the time I thought the oppotunity would be there for longer than it actually was (not to mention the cost!!)
Still many fond memories of just spectating:)

Cheers
Neil

Scapula Memory
28th January 2008, 10:13 PM
I had a few chances to fly this great aircraft ( work for BA ) and like others thought it would be around for a lot longer, and never got to do it :(

I was there by the taxi way when they all came home for the last time. I think the whole company was, it was a very mixed feeling of pride and loss.

John

PS, fantastic find Barry.

E-P1 fan
28th January 2008, 10:58 PM
Wow!!!!

Closest I got to a flight on Concorde was going on the static early protoype at Duxford :)

Nick Temple-Fry
29th January 2008, 01:52 AM
I had a few chances to fly this great aircraft ( work for BA ) and like others thought it would be around for a lot longer, and never got to do it :(

I was there by the taxi way when they all came home for the last time. I think the whole company was, it was a very mixed feeling of pride and loss.

John

PS, fantastic find Barry.

Concorde was a statement of national pride, bizarre, impratical, environmentally unsound, expensive and above all magnificent

It fullfilled no practical need, was never going to be the pre-cursor to mass supersonic aviation travel, was almost a total vanity. But it was an Icon of our belief in technology.

It belonged to an era that included the Japanese bullet trains, the TGV expresses and moon flight. I'm glad I was young at that time.

Now technology offers youngsters a means to hear more music badly (ipod/mp3) and the means to disrupt people with meaningless phone calls.

I suspect the Industrial revolution is now over.

Sorry (rant)

Nick

Scapula Memory
29th January 2008, 07:16 AM
Concorde was a statement of national pride, bizarre, impratical, environmentally unsound, expensive and above all magnificent

It fullfilled no practical need, was never going to be the pre-cursor to mass supersonic aviation travel, was almost a total vanity. But it was an Icon of our belief in technology.

It belonged to an era that included the Japanese bullet trains, the TGV expresses and moon flight. I'm glad I was young at that time.

Now technology offers youngsters a means to hear more music badly (ipod/mp3) and the means to disrupt people with meaningless phone calls.

I suspect the Industrial revolution is now over.

Sorry (rant)

Nick

I totally agree with every word Nick, well said.

John

Barr1e
29th January 2008, 09:49 AM
Wow!!!!

Closest I got to a flight on Concorde was going on the static early protoype at Duxford :)

Likewise - we took Anne's mother on board - she would have been about 90 years old then - still going strong. It was surprising to see how much she knew of the aircraft but wondered why it had large boxes in rather than seats! One of those icons which most folk took pride in.

Regards. Barr1e

E-P1 fan
29th January 2008, 09:55 AM
Those of us who were around, no matter how young, watching Brian Trubshaw take off that day will never forget it I think.

Like the maiden flight of the Hawker P1127 - the Harrier - seminal moments.

How did we throw away the position we had then I wonder?? :confused:

Ellie
29th January 2008, 11:15 PM
It was an amazing aircraft, even though it used to make our windows rattle. ;)

There's a place near us where people fly model aircraft, I don't know if any of them has a Concorde. I'm always amazed at how well the models fly, and how skilled the operators are at landing them safely.