PDA

View Full Version : ZD 14-35mm Near Perfection? - Digital Camera magazine tink so

CaptainD
12th November 2009, 02:32 PM
The December 2009 edition of Digital Camera magazine arrived this morning. The group test this month is luxury lenses. Included are are a range of top end Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sigma glass. Should we be surprised that the 14-35mm is described "as near perfection as we've seen in a standard zoom lens" and gets the editors choice award in the test with a rating of 95%.

The final editors summary reads; "Both the Canon and Nikon lenses were very good in our tests, but not quite as good as the phenomenal Olympus 14-35mm our overall winner"

I hope Olympus are pleased to have such a glowing tribute to their top end glass.

Cheers

Chris *chr

PS Sadly Olympus did not get any kit in the DCM gear of the year. Oh well can't have it all.

CaptainD
12th November 2009, 02:35 PM
Oh dear, I should have spotted my typo in the title me tinks!!!

Cheers from your forum "tinker"

Sorry

Chris :D

EH1
12th November 2009, 03:28 PM
This is a first!...........a camera magazine to rate an Olympus product more highly than a Nikon or Canon. Normally they don`t even mention the word Olympus. Lets hope this is just the start! ;)

snaarman
12th November 2009, 03:37 PM
Dpreview (shhhh) waxed lyrical about the ZD50 macro as the best lens they had tested until this week, when the new Canon Macro got their top slot..

Pete

Graham_of_Rainham
12th November 2009, 03:43 PM
This is the one that has been on my list ever since Ian let me have a play with it a while back. Considering it covers the range that most of my photography is done at, it would get used most of the time and therefore represents good value for money. :)

Just practicing the presentation that I'll put to my better half :D

CaptainD
12th November 2009, 03:55 PM
To be be fair to Digital Camera magazine they have always been far more receptive to Olympus cameras and lenses than other magazines I could mention. It is one the main reasons why I have a subscription as when they criticise our favoured brand I value their opinion as much as when they praise it.

Cheers

Chris *chr

PS Did I mention the other main reason I have a subscription? My dear wife pays for it every Christmas :D:D:D:D

Shaw
12th November 2009, 04:16 PM
The December 2009 edition of Digital Camera magazine arrived this morning. The group test this month is luxury lenses. Included are are a range of top end Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sigma glass. Should we be surprised that the 14-35mm is described "as near perfection as we've seen in a standard zoom lens" and gets the editors choice award in the test with a rating of 95%.

The final editors summary reads; "Both the Canon and Nikon lenses were very good in our tests, but not quite as good as the phenomenal Olympus 14-35mm our overall winner"

I hope Olympus are pleased to have such a glowing tribute to their top end glass.

Cheers

Chris *chr

PS Sadly Olympus did not get any kit in the DCM gear of the year. Oh well can't have it all.

The autumn issue of the same mag tested eight super-telephoto lenses including Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina & the Olympus 70-300 (which was the cheapest on test), and the Olympus was the only one to get five stars out of five for image quality.

Stewart

CaptainD
12th November 2009, 04:27 PM
Dear Stewart,

I forgot to mention that, I believe that the 70-300mm offers the best "bang for Buck" out of all the e-system lenses I have played with. It really does offer great value for money.

Cheers

Chris

theMusicMan
12th November 2009, 07:53 PM
Dear Stewart,

I forgot to mention that, I believe that the 70-300mm offers the best "bang for Buck" out of all the e-system lenses I have played with. It really does offer great value for money.

Cheers

ChrisWould agree with that comment.*chr

Zuiko
12th November 2009, 09:01 PM
Well done Digital Camera!

You don't often see lens comparison tests that include Olympus, probably because it would upset the status quo if Olympus were seen to wipe the floor with the "Big Two." :eek:

Much safer just to include them in high ISO comparison tests - far more likely to get the "right" result. :rolleyes:

Barr1e
12th November 2009, 09:12 PM
Would agree with that comment.*chr

I also agree with that comment.

Regards. Barr1e

Kiwi Paul
3rd December 2009, 10:46 AM
I recently bought one, I've also always wanted one and just the opportunity to own a top class lens. Unfortunanately I haven't had the chance to really put it through it's paces yet but I hope to get out this weekend and use it.

Paul