PDA

View Full Version : Proposed meet Langstone Harbour/Farlington Marshes

PeterD
12th November 2009, 12:26 PM
I have just received a reply from the Solent reserves officer, Hampshire & IOW Wildlife Trust.

He will give a guided tour of the reserve to whoever wants to join this event. The walk around the Reserve will take approx 3hrs + extra time for photography.
This is a golden opportunity as we shall have some expert advice available and the photo opportunities will be far better than if I alone acted as the guide.
High tide is an important factor and the following dates for December have been proposed:
Thursday 3rd 4.8M High tide 11.33 hrs
Friday 4th 4.8M High tide 12.18 hrs
There are also 4.5M High tides on the mornings of 15th -18th.
The high tides will push the birds off the mud flats to seek refuge on the reserve. Great for opportunities to see a large variation of birds in a confined space.
For those interested in landscapes, I propose to take you onto Portsdown Hill where you can look down on Portsmouth and Langstone Harbours. There is a good eating place on the hill (the Churchillian) where we can have a snack and drink.

Please let me know if you are interested and the dates you can attend.

PS The Reserves Officer normally charges for these guided tours but he has offered to waive this in return for a donation.

art frames
12th November 2009, 01:46 PM
Hi Peter

I am interested and believe all of these dates are possible.

I will try my hardest to keep the day clear when we get a favourite.

best wishes

Peter

PeterD
12th November 2009, 01:58 PM
Hi Peter

I am interested and believe all of these dates are possible.

I will try my hardest to keep the day clear when we get a favourite.

best wishes

Peter

Thanks Peter, I look forward to seeing you again and I aim to try and make this a memorable and satisfying visit for all those who attend.

Ellie
12th November 2009, 02:57 PM
Brilliant idea Peter *chr

There's a bit about the reserve here (http://www.hwt.org.uk/pages/farlington-marshes-r.html).

I'd very much like to join you, the dates earlier in the month would suit me best. What time would be best to arrive, how long before high tide?

PeterD
12th November 2009, 03:14 PM
Brilliant idea Peter *chr

There's a bit about the reserve here (http://www.hwt.org.uk/pages/farlington-marshes-r.html).

I'd very much like to join you, the dates earlier in the month would suit me best. What time would be best to arrive, how long before high tide?

Thanks Ellie and thanks for posting the link (wish I had thought of that;)).

What I am thinking is that we meet at the Churchillian (Portsdown Hill) first at say 0900-0930. This will give us a chance to meet each other, take a refreshment and some photographs from the hill. One of the hillside forts (Fort Widley) is near here. Drive down to the marshes to get there about an hour before high tide to meet Jamie Marsh (Solent Reserves Officer) for an introduction and guided tour of the reserve.

If anyone has any special interests outside of landscapes and nature, please let me know and I shall see what else can be included in the itinary.

dbutch
12th November 2009, 04:34 PM
Friday the 4th or 18th could be good for me - can't do other week days

Cheers

Dave

PeterD
12th November 2009, 04:46 PM
Friday the 4th or 18th could be good for me - can't do other week days

Cheers

Dave

Thank you Dave. Peter and had no preference but Ellie prefers earlier in the month so lets propose we meet on the 4th December. I shall publish details of the meeting place later.

Not too much time to set this all up so please would other interested parties let me know as soon as posible. Thank you

Adagio
12th November 2009, 04:47 PM
Peter

I could manage 15th or 18th.

PeterD
12th November 2009, 04:51 PM
Peter

I could manage 15th or 18th.

David, Be good to see you too. I shall have to check with Ellie first though.

Ellie can you make the 18th?

Peter

davidsa
12th November 2009, 04:58 PM
Sounds like a great idea.

Please put me down as a "definite maybe" (as someone once said). No preference as to which day at this stage.

David

PeterD
12th November 2009, 05:41 PM
Thank you David. The date seems to be firming around 18th December assuming Ellie agrees. Hope you can make it.

sapper
12th November 2009, 05:59 PM
I might be able to come. The 18th that is.

Ellie
12th November 2009, 06:08 PM
Ellie can you make the 18th?
:o I don't know yet. We're waiting on (hoping for) university interviews during that week, and I'm likely to be needed for transport.

Please don't even think of organising this around me, if I find I can't make it on the most popular day I'll come over there another time. :)

DerekW
12th November 2009, 06:45 PM
The 18th of December will be a good test of high ISO capabilities of the cameras. <g>

If it is light I may come along.

PeterD
12th November 2009, 07:16 PM
I might be able to come. The 18th that is.

The 18th of December will be a good test of high ISO capabilities of the cameras. <g>

If it is light I may come along.

It would be good if you both can make it. I obviously cannot predict the weather - nor can the met office;). I like to be positive about it. Derek, you do not need a Bigma for this although it is my lens of choice. I am getting away with using it on most days anyway.

:o I don't know yet. We're waiting on (hoping for) university interviews during that week, and I'm likely to be needed for transport.

Please don't even think of organising this around me, if I find I can't make it on the most popular day I'll come over there another time. :)

Ellie. Thanks for responding. It is hard to try and please everyone but I understand the importance of your potential appointment. I shall try and arrange another session early next year and hopefully you will be able to come then.

Ellie
13th November 2009, 09:49 PM
Ellie. Thanks for responding. It is hard to try and please everyone but I understand the importance of your potential appointment. I shall try and arrange another session early next year and hopefully you will be able to come then.
Glad you understand :)

Melaka
14th November 2009, 10:54 AM
I'd be interested in 17th.

PeterD
14th November 2009, 12:29 PM
I'd be interested in 17th.

Be really good if you can make it David. The favoured day is the 18th though as a Friday is essential for one of us.

theMusicMan
14th November 2009, 12:58 PM
Possibly a little too far for me I'm afraid, and as it's a Friday prior to Christmas I'm not sure I could make it. I will make this a stick though as per the other event threads we've featured.

PeterD
14th November 2009, 01:45 PM
Possibly a little too far for me I'm afraid, and as it's a Friday prior to Christmas I'm not sure I could make it. I will make this a stick though as per the other event threads we've featured.

Thank you John. It is a bit far for you. Its a shame but at least I hope we can post a number of good images on here.

theMusicMan
14th November 2009, 02:19 PM
Thank you John. It is a bit far for you. Its a shame but at least I hope we can post a number of good images on here.
I'm certain that will be the case Peter, and I look forward to seeing them.

Melaka
15th November 2009, 09:01 AM
Peter, thank you. It's a pity it has to be a Friday but 17th is the only day next month where there's a high tide and I'm free.

theMusicMan
15th November 2009, 09:05 AM
I just checked and there's some high tides this weekend. 12.0M in Newport...

If anyone wants to check the tides local to where they are, www.easytide.co.uk is where to look.

PeterD
15th November 2009, 12:37 PM
Peter, thank you. It's a pity it has to be a Friday but 17th is the only day next month where there's a high tide and I'm free.

Sorry David but all is not lost:). Both Ellie and you are unable to make it this time but I shall arrange another date in January if there is enough support. Failing that, if you want to come down alone, please let me know and I can arrange for a visit without the assistance of HIWWT. It may not be as informative but we can certainly go to the sites around Langstone Harbour and get some good photographs.

PeterD
16th November 2009, 11:06 PM
Thank you to all those who have responded to this thread and I shall tomorrow inform HIWWT that the 18th December is the date we shall visit Farlington Marshes.

The names I have wishing to attend are:-

Art Frames (Peter), dbutch (Dave), Adagio (David) and DerekW (Derek).

Those down as a maybe are:-

davisa (David) and Sapper (Dave)

Those that cannot make the date but have expressed an interest are:-

Ellie and Melaka (David).

Could you all please check this list and confirm I have put you in the correct category. Anyone else interested for the 18th, please let me know.

I shall see how this event goes and arrange another early next year for Ellie and Melaka and anyone else who is interested (please let me know if you are).

I cannot guarantee the weather conditions as I said before but usually this area is sheltered from the worst of the weather.

art frames
17th November 2009, 07:55 AM
Peter

I have put it in my diary and look forward to a great day out.

I am sure we will see some excellent wildlife with the warden leading us.

Thanks for the organisation.

Peter

Who's_E
17th November 2009, 11:25 AM
Peter,

Please may I tag along as well?

Thanks,

Nick

Melaka
17th November 2009, 11:51 AM
Peter,

Thanks,

Nick

I suppose that means you'll want to borrow the Bigma!

Adagio
17th November 2009, 12:36 PM
PeterD - PM sent

PeterD
17th November 2009, 12:51 PM
Peter,

Thanks,

Nick

You are welcome Nick. Added to list.

PeterD
17th November 2009, 12:54 PM
PerterD - PM sent

Replied David:)

tlove
17th November 2009, 06:52 PM
Why, why oh why do I have to work full time?!

I'd be there like a shot for this one Peter, but for the fact it is during the week and I have to work :(:(:(:(:(!!

Life just is not fair :D

Have fun all - and don't forget to post your images. I'm counting on it!!

Thea

PeterD
17th November 2009, 07:20 PM
Why, why oh why do I have to work full time?!

I'd be there like a shot for this one Peter, but for the fact it is during the week and I have to work :(:(:(:(:(!!

Life just is not fair :D

Have fun all - and don't forget to post your images. I'm counting on it!!

Thea

I have had a chat with the Solent Reserves Officer to confirm the 18th but I also mentioned that others might want another visit early next year. He thought that would be OK. So, there may be an opportunity for you and others soon:).

I shall be posting more details about the visit once I have received more info from the HIWWT Reserves Officer. I have suggested that a short intro on HIWWT involvement at Langstone Harbour would be a good thing to start off this visit.

smartwombat
18th November 2009, 08:55 PM
It's rather too far away to be definite, but we've gone to short time working and I have Fridays off. If my wife has nothing for me to do (yeah, right) then I'd like to come.
I'm interested in next year too.

PeterD
18th November 2009, 08:59 PM
It's rather too far away to be definite, but we've gone to short time working and I have Fridays off. If my wife has nothing for me to do (yeah, right) then I'd like to come.
I'm interested in next year too.

Thank you Paul. It would be great if you can join us. The details are to follow so watch this post:)

sapper
20th November 2009, 02:04 PM
Peter. I intend to come down the day before, stay nearby, drop wife off for shopping and make my way to the reserve. Can you recomend good cheap acomodation that we could use?

EH1
20th November 2009, 02:27 PM
I too would like to come to a future meet, so please post the details as & when! ;)

dbutch
20th November 2009, 02:30 PM
Hey Pete looking at all the Dave's on the list I think you may want to rename it the 'proposed Dave meet at Langstone habour

Cheers*chr

Dave

PeterD
20th November 2009, 02:37 PM
Peter. I intend to come down the day before, stay nearby, drop wife off for shopping and make my way to the reserve. Can you recomend good cheap acomodation that we could use?

Dave. Leave it with me and I shall enquire for you. If anyone else wants to do the same, watch this space.:)

PeterD
20th November 2009, 02:38 PM
I too would like to come to a future meet, so please post the details as & when! ;)

No problem. Next time we should have more time to arrange it.

PeterD
20th November 2009, 02:41 PM
Hey Pete looking at all the Dave's on the list I think you may want to rename it the 'proposed Dave meet at Langstone habour

Cheers*chr

Dave

You know what Dave - those were exactly my thoughts when I listed everyone;). It's no consolation that Peter is second best:(.

dbutch
20th November 2009, 03:11 PM
So the D in PeterD isn't in tribute:rolleyes:

PeterD
20th November 2009, 03:27 PM
Dave. Leave it with me and I shall enquire for you. If anyone else wants to do the same, watch this space.:)

Dave,

The following hotels/B&B are available:
First a listing of all in the Havant area - http://www.laterooms.com/en/p1301/pv1462093/Hotels.aspx?k=Havant&d=20091217&n=1&rt=2-0

I have selected a few from this list (note it should be set up for arrival 17th December for 2 people).

Rowlands Castle
http://www.laterooms.com/en/p1301/pv1462093/hotel-reservations/157828_innkeeper-s-lodge-portsmouth-north-rowland-s-castle.aspx
A lovely small town/village with a main line station on the Waterloo - Portsmouth line. Plenty of open space as well as the Country park mentioned. Good road access. Food, as I remember it, was very good.

Emsworth
http://www.laterooms.com/en/p1301/pv1462093/hotel-reservations/97217_the-crown-emsworth.aspx
Another lovely town, just in West Sussex and close to Havant. Good rail connections between Portsmouth and Brighton and from Havant to London. The A27 (Southampton / Brighton) bypasses the town but has easy entry/exit points for Emsworth. I have not visited this hotel. If you want me to check it out for you - please ask.

Portsmouth
http://www.laterooms.com/en/p1301/pv1462093/hotel-reservations/93921_the-market-house-tavern-portsmouth.aspx
I have not visited this hotel but it is conveniently placed at the end of the M275. Being close to the centre of Portsmouth it is ideal for local shopping or sight seeing in the city.

There are more around but at a price!

Hope this helps

MickL
20th November 2009, 06:15 PM
Peter,

I would like to join the group at Farlington. Any date will be OK for me. The one problem I have is no transport. I live in Gosport and can get to Fareham, Portsmouth stations or any from there. If anyone in this area could perhaps give me a lift from a station to the pub then it will be very much appreciated otherwise I can catch a bus directly to Farlington. Space-wise I'm a 6ft bloke with a well packed Lowepro Mini-Trekker.

Mick L

PeterD
20th November 2009, 07:20 PM
Peter,

I would like to join the group at Farlington. Any date will be OK for me. The one problem I have is no transport. I live in Gosport and can get to Fareham, Portsmouth stations or any from there. If anyone in this area could perhaps give me a lift from a station to the pub then it will be very much appreciated otherwise I can catch a bus directly to Farlington. Space-wise I'm a 6ft bloke with a well packed Lowepro Mini-Trekker.

Mick L

Hi Mick

No problem. I can pick you up and get you get you back to your transport. The meeting is fixed for the 18th but I have yet to get the detail itinery from HIWWT. Should be any time:)

If anyone else needs a lift from a railway station or other local place I can help. I have a C8 so there should be enough room.

sapper
20th November 2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks for these Peter, given me some idea of the area.
I am thinking of staying overnight Thurs in the Beaufort Hotel in Southsea. I could then drop of wife to do her thing in Portsmouth and then make my way to the reserve, picking her up after the shoot. I do not know the area at all, do you think that will work?

Dave,

The following hotels/B&B are available:
First a listing of all in the Havant area - [url]http://www.laterooms.com/en/p1
There are more around but at a price!

Hope this helps

PeterD
20th November 2009, 10:37 PM
Yes Dave that would work fine. The hotel is situated near Southsea Common and beach. Lots of good walks around there . For shopping, you have a choice of three main areas. 1. Gunwharf Quays - a relatively new shopping area and well worth a visit. The Spinnaker Tower is in this area. I have not done it yet but I am told you get great panoramas from here around Portsmouth, Gosport, the Isle of Wight and Portsdown Hill. 2. Commercial Road - The old shopping centre for Portsmouth. 3. Palmestone Rd - quite close to the hotel and it is the shopping centre for Southsea. Not too many shops though but it does have one of the exclusive stores, Knight & Lea. Portsea Island shopping is quite spread out with each district having it's own shopping area. Fratton may also be of interest. mainly small shops but dealing in vitually everything from antiques, second hand, cafe's and newsagents to name a few.
There are very good bus links so your wife should be able to explore easily. See http://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/media/TSS_pub_transport_09.pdf.

Hope this helps

sapper
20th November 2009, 10:44 PM
Yes Dave that would work fine. The hotel is situated near Southsea Common and beach. Lots of good walks around there . For sh
There are very good bus links so your wife should be able to explore easily. See http://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/media/TSS_pub_transport_09.pdf.

Hope this helps

Thanks Peter, very helpful. See you the 18th Dec.

PeterD
23rd November 2009, 07:33 PM
I have now heard from Jamie Marsh:-
Hi Peter,

High tide is at approx 12.12. If we meet at 11am at the main entrance. See link below for details -

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=468500&y=104500&z=120&sv=farlington+marshes&st=3&tl=Map+of+Farlington+Marshes,+City+of++Portsmouth+&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

Parking is adjacent to main entrance to reserve. Access to the site is made off of the Eastern Road (A2030)/A27 roundabout under the yellow height barrier.

I should be ok to do another walk in the new year. I am getting booked up very quickly so the more notice the better.

regards

Jamie

Jamie Marsh

Solent Reserves Officer

This schedule should get us on the marshes at about the right time and high tide should be with us during our stay there. I know some of you are travelling a relatively long distance and hope that the timing is satisfactory. I suggest that our contribution to HIWWT is 2.50 each which I think is good value. This money will go to help support the work of HIWWT.

Some people will be local enough to meet earlier - say 0930- 1000hrs on Portsdown Hill. We can have a walk around Fort Widley perimeter which offers good photographic opportunities of the fort defences, surrounding countryside, and of course Portsmouth Harbour from the hillside. Two opportunities on the day!

Could I now have the final list of those attending and also whether you would like to start on Portsdown Hill or go straight to Farlington Marshes. When I have your names, I shall PM you with my mobile number and if you could let me have yours. This way I can ensure no-one misses out. I shall stay at the meeting point until everyone has arrived or I have heard you cannot make it for whatever reason.

This brings me on to another point. I shall start another thread in a week or so to collect names and try and agree dates for a further visit in the new year.

Thank you to all who have read this thread and particularly to those who have responded. I shall look for other opportunities for guided visits in the Portsmouth area (a tour of the forts with public access for instance) and offer them later.

sapper
23rd November 2009, 07:41 PM
I am a definate, hotel booked.

Adagio
23rd November 2009, 07:47 PM
Peter

All being well wife and I will be there. Will meet at the reserve car park. What suggestions for eating at lunch time?

Who's_E
23rd November 2009, 09:16 PM
Hi Peter,

I will meet you at the nature reserve car park.

Nick

PeterD
23rd November 2009, 09:58 PM
I am a definate, hotel booked.

Peter

All being well wife and I will be there. Will meet at the reserve car park. What suggestions for eating at lunch time?

Hi Peter,

I will meet you at the nature reserve car park.

Nick

PMs sent. Thank you

dbutch
23rd November 2009, 10:08 PM
Pete unless something unexpected turns up I will be there

Cheers

Dave

PeterD
23rd November 2009, 10:18 PM
Pete unless something unexpected turns up I will be there

Cheers

Dave

PM sent
Thanks

PeterD
10th December 2009, 10:28 AM
Good morning. Thought it might be interesting to give you a link to a blog I follow on wildlife in Langstone Harbour. This should help give insight to what is currently around.

http://langstoneharbourwildlife.blogspot.com/

It makes a good read. Jason was the Seasonal Warden at the Oysterbed site at North Hayling. I worked with him as a volunteer and he is very knowledgeable but his blog is written in a chatty and easy style.

dbutch
15th December 2009, 01:28 PM
Looks like it could be a cold day*snowflake

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/348

Dave

PeterD
15th December 2009, 02:02 PM

Dave

You are right Dave. I took great heart that the high pressure had pushed all the lows to the north but the temperature has certainly dropped with the winds from the north. On the plus side, it is only forecast for light snow and visibility is good:).
What I have found though is the E3 gets very cold to hold in these conditions. Plastic bodied cameras should be OK though. Must get a suitable pair of gloves;)

sapper
15th December 2009, 02:42 PM

Dave

Better not tell my wife, its cold enough here in Kent and there is no snow.
But I look forward to a bit of snow.

PeterD
15th December 2009, 02:48 PM
Better not tell my wife, its cold enough here in Kent and there is no snow.
But I look forward to a bit of snow.

Hi Dave
From what I have seen Kent is likely to get more of the snow than Portsmouth. Mind you. That is not unusual:)

art frames
15th December 2009, 03:18 PM
Peter

Well we will be in a four wheel drive Subaru so snow may not be a problem. I guess we will know on the day. The light is the key issue. They have been showing better weather so I'm hoping they change there minds again!.

Peter

PeterD
15th December 2009, 03:33 PM
Peter

Well we will be in a four wheel drive Subaru so snow may not be a problem. I guess we will know on the day. The light is the key issue. They have been showing better weather so I'm hoping they change there minds again!.

Peter

Hi Peter

No promises just an observation. Portsmouth usually is sheltered from the worst of any surrounding area. The Isle of Wight to the south and the South Downs to the north, tend to act as a shelter for Portsmouth. I am optimistic but, as you say, we shall have to see on the day. I still use the Bigma in overcast conditions, just boost the ISO. I have also found the Bigma works very well even with max aperture. Dof is not usually an issue with the distance to the subject being as it is. White plumage always seems to come out better too in overcast conditions as there is little reflection.

davidsa
16th December 2009, 09:54 PM
Just to confirm I plan to be there (unless prevented by the weather) aiming to arrive at or shortly before 11.00 am.

Please could you post a point to which I should set my GPS, or is the way to the reserve entrance obvious from the A27/A2030 junction (coming from the West)?

Thanks

David

PeterD
16th December 2009, 10:47 PM
Just to confirm I plan to be there (unless prevented by the weather) aiming to arrive at or shortly before 11.00 am.

Please could you post a point to which I should set my GPS, or is the way to the reserve entrance obvious from the A27/A2030 junction (coming from the West)?

Thanks

David

Hi David,

Look forward to seeing you.
Set your Sat Nav for the junction A27/A2030. Follow the slip road down to the set of lights at the roundabout under the A27. Get into the RH lane. After the second exit (A27 Havant/A3 London) on the roundabout, get into the extreme LH Lane before getting to the third exit. This is important as the entrance to the Marshes is NOT signposted and traffic on the roundabout can be quick and other drivers are not always particularly alert:(. After you pass under the A27, the slip road down from the A27 is to your left. Half way between this slip road and the third exit is a height controlling barrier which is the entrance to the site. Follow the track which runs between the slip road and the harbour. The actual site entrance is at the end of this track with a gate across.
I am going to Portsdown Hill to meet a few others at about 0930 but should be down at Farlington shortly before 11am. I am driving a Blue Citroen C8.
Take care

davidsa
17th December 2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks Peter - noted

David

Who's_E
17th December 2009, 02:31 PM
Hi Peter,

Just to confirm that I am still coming along.

Nick

Who's_E
17th December 2009, 02:38 PM
Set your Sat Nav for the junction A27/A2030. Follow the slip road down to the set of lights at the roundabout under the A27. Get into the RH lane. After the second exit (A27 Havant/A3 London) on the roundabout, get into the extreme LH Lane before getting to the third exit. This is important as the entrance to the Marshes is NOT signposted and traffic on the roundabout can be quick and other drivers are not always particularly alert:(. After you pass under the A27, the slip road down from the A27 is to your left. Half way between this slip road and the third exit is a height controlling barrier which is the entrance to the site. Follow the track which runs between the slip road and the harbour. The actual site entrance is at the end of this track with a gate across.

Hi Peter,

Coming from the A3(M) it looks like I come down the slip road for the A27/A2030 junction in the LH lane and turn immediately left on the roundabout, is that correct?

Thanks,

Nick

PeterD
17th December 2009, 02:54 PM
Hi Peter,

Coming from the A3(M) it looks like I come down the slip road for the A27/A2030 junction in the LH lane and turn immediately left on the roundabout, is that correct?

Thanks,

Nick

Thanks Nick. The directions you give are correct. Look forward to meeting you. Take care.

The weather here has been good today. Bright and sunny early on. cloud is all around but the sun has broken through for most of the time. It is cold so make sure everyone brings warm clothing. Looking forward to meeting all those who can make it.

Adagio
17th December 2009, 04:34 PM
barring misfortune we shall be there. Long-johns are at the ready *snowman

PeterD
17th December 2009, 05:16 PM
Look forward to seeing you both David