PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 End of Year “Open Challenge”

Jonesgj
11th November 2009, 08:01 PM
The 2009 End of Year “Open Challenge”

My Idea: A great opportunity to share our best photos of the year, and because the theme and time span are so wide, the quality should be very high! I am certainly looking forward to seeing the best we have.

In brief: Choose your best three images, any theme or style. Ensure your images are a maximum of 800 pixels along its widest/longest edge, up to 512Kbytes in size and with the EXIF data intact. The images must have been taken by you on an E-series camera between 1st January 2009 and 31st December 2009 and be in jpeg format.

Prize: None, other than the right to use “Winner of the E-System User Group 2009 Open Challenge” in your forum signature!

Rules:

Photos must have been taken (dated in EXIF) between 1st January 2009 and 31st December 2009 inclusive and arrive in my email inbox (see below) before the end of 31st December 2009.
Photos will be posted during the first week of January 2010 for registered users to vote upon.
Votes will be accepted from initial posting up to the 31st January 2010.
Results will be announced early week commencing 1st February 2010.
You must be the photographer who created the images in order to enter the challenge, and all entries must be visibly anonymous (No water marks or distinguishing features)
Entries submitted to previous challenges will be eligible providing all the other rules/conditions specified in these rules are met.
Images should be sent to the challenge organiser and you must indicate in the email (a) your real name, (b) your e-group forum name and (c) a title for each of your photos. Any entries that are not clearly identifiable and verifiable won't be entered into the challenge.
Entries should contain no watermarks, distinguishing effects or borders.
You must ensure your images are a maximum of 800 pixels along its widest/longest edge.
Each image file size must not exceed 512Kbytes and must have the EXIF data intact (so that this can be verified by the organiser)
Each image must be in jpeg format and have been taken on an E-Series camera.
You need to be registered on e-group.uk.net forums to qualify for entry into the challenge. The organiser may also enter the challenge (the entries are anonymous and the organiser is trusted to record votes accurately).
Up to three entries are permitted for this challenge. But if you want to withdraw an entry or replace it with another that's OK, you must make it clear in an email to the challenge organiser before the closing date, also ensure the email contains clear instructions and (if required) your replacement picture.
All registered members of the e-group forum may vote, including those who submit entries.
Those who submit entries may vote for their own photo but are expected to allot their choices fairly on perceived merit.
Voters should list their three choices in order of preference, by display number and title to avoid confusion.
Points will be allotted as follows: three to first choice, two to second choice, one to third choice.
This competition is just for fun and by entering or voting you accept to abide by the spirit of this competition and acknowledge that the decision of the judge is final

Please email the images to graydon63@googlemail.com and ensure you put Open Challenge and your forum user name in the Title.

I hope everyone likes this idea and many of us find the time to have a good rummage through this years work to find three stunning entries!

Good Luck!

Graydon

****** Please could an Administrator make this Sticky and post a link in the headline notices ******

andym
13th November 2009, 11:12 AM
Well done for organising this Graydon.

Give me something to do this weekend while the weathers cxxp.*yes

snaarman
18th November 2009, 11:10 AM
I emailed my best three from this year, hope they arrived..

Pete

Jonesgj
22nd November 2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks Guys,

Started receiving entries already. Please keep them coming.

India is hot.... glad I bought and brought the E-3. Back next week.

Regards

Graydon

Jonesgj
30th November 2009, 11:34 AM
Okay,

It's time to start examining your photos taken this year and choose your best three if you want to enter, what I look at as a 365 day photo fair!

I have received some superb shots so far and Ian's dropped me a line to see if he can find some Olympus 'goodies' to sweeten the competition, which would be a bonus.

Please could an administrator place a link in the headline notices.

Kind regards

Graydon

Jonesgj
2nd December 2009, 07:03 PM
Seems to be quite a few people online currently so I thought I'd bump this now. After an initial flurry the entries have stopped coming in.

Come on everyone. Don't be shy. Send in your best of the year!

jonesy
2nd December 2009, 07:49 PM
I'll be doing mine once I have my final panel sorted for my OU photography course.... still pulling my hair out trying to get that done in time :(

Jonesgj
2nd December 2009, 08:31 PM
I'll be doing mine once I have my final panel sorted for my OU photography course.... still pulling my hair out trying to get that done in time :(

Thanks Tracey. Good luck with the OU. I did check-out your thread and plenty of good photos and good feedback too. Look forward to seeing your entries here soon.

Jonesgj
4th December 2009, 08:34 PM
I have a few entries so far, and they are all fantastic. So we have the quality lets have some quantity!

Come on - no boundaries - no themes... just three of your best. Have a sort-out this weekend.

Daveart
4th December 2009, 09:10 PM
It's going to be a great competition I feel well done Graydon for organising these it's not easy I know as I have done this on another site, so well done!!

Dave

I have a few entries so far, and they are all fantastic. So we have the quality lets have some quantity!

Come on - no boundaries - no themes... just three of your best. Have a sort-out this weekend.

Jonesgj
5th December 2009, 07:50 PM
It's going to be a great competition I feel well done Graydon for organising these it's not easy I know as I have done this on another site, so well done!!

Dave

I hope so Dave.

Jonesgj
11th December 2009, 11:13 AM
Hi All,

Just a reminder. I have not received any entries for over a week. Please please please do have a think, a sort out and do get involved..... The entries so far have been extremely good.

Graydon

Bikie John
11th December 2009, 01:51 PM
Hi Graydon, thanks for making the effort to organise this. I've got 2 out of 3 sorted, just got to select and process the final entry. I kind of wish you hadn't told us the entries you've already got are so good though :)

Cheers ... John

Jonesgj
11th December 2009, 06:01 PM
Hi Graydon, thanks for making the effort to organise this. I've got 2 out of 3 sorted, just got to select and process the final entry. I kind of wish you hadn't told us the entries you've already got are so good though :)

Cheers ... John

John,

Good to hear you're on the case.

If it helps I can say I lied and that the entires so far were'nt that good. Okay? :)

Graydon

jonesy
11th December 2009, 09:35 PM
John,

Good to hear you're on the case.

If it helps I can say I lied and that the entires so far were'nt that good. Okay? :)

GraydonJust hang on, I hadnt sent mine then... ;) That'll lower the standard somewhat

Jonesgj
12th December 2009, 11:33 PM
Some more excellent shots arrived today. Come everyone; you must have something you would like to share!

Kind regards

Graydon

Jonesgj
18th December 2009, 04:31 PM
Bumped for this weekend...

I'm sure there's still more out there. Come on everyone; get searching.

Graydon

Jonesgj
19th December 2009, 11:51 PM
22 - Excellent shots so far ... come guys and girls; not long now!

Nick Temple-Fry
20th December 2009, 12:26 AM
22 - Excellent shots so far ... come guys and girls; not long now!

Some of us are still hoping that we'll take some good shots, even if the evidence is so far against it.:(

Nick

Glen Bentley
21st December 2009, 10:31 PM
I think you arebeing modest Nick.

Jonesgj
27th December 2009, 09:26 AM
Okay the turkey has been roasted, sandwiched and curried. We watched A Christmas Carol and the Queens speech. Relatives have visited, and gone home. All childrens toys have been put together, or are ready to be taken back for exchange/repair tomorrow. Gadgets have been played with and, possibly, had their manuals read too. And all Wii injuries have been treated (long story)

Sooo it must be time to have a concerted effort to look through your shots and contribute just at least one image which you have felt happy with.

:D

Zuiko
29th December 2009, 02:38 AM
Hi Graydon,

Just got round to sending mine, hope I've done it right! :o

There's still time for others who haven't yet entered to join in. :)

Jonesgj
29th December 2009, 07:13 PM
Hi all,

Flurry of activity today with more beautiful photos in my inbox. I will be sending confirmation emails out in a few minutes.

Thanks to all those who have entered so far. I think we have a fantatsic collection to vote on and still two days to go!

Graydon

Bikie John
29th December 2009, 08:53 PM
Well done Graydon, glad we've got a good selection.

Thinking about the numbers, would publishing them in a list in a forum message be the best way to present them? It's OK when there aren't so many but it could get cumbersome with lots. I don't know whether this is practical or even possible, but could a gallery be set up so that only you can upload or update entries but we can all see them (once submission is closed of course)?

Cheers ... John

Jonesgj
29th December 2009, 09:59 PM
Hi John,

Hadn't really given this a great deal of thought as I assumed I could just treat it in the same way as the monthly challenges???

Now we do have rather a lot of pictures :eek: but I think I could still compile all the votes cast as emails to my google mail.

That said if there is a better way I'm all ears! I've noticed another site where a new thread is started and you can cast a vote for the photo of your choice (the photos being posted in another new thread) Not sure if this site can do that, but maybe Ian or the guys could comment.

Anyway:

Plan A
1) I'll post all the images into a gallery (may be the admin guys could do this for me and allow only me to post in there??)
2) I'll link them into a thread.
3) I'll gather votes in my email, keeping emails for audit purposes! :)

By the way, even more photos arrived after my last post .... I think I may have woken a sleeping beast with all my threads, red signatures and bumps :eek: It's going to be a busy new year!#

Graydon

Well done Graydon, glad we've got a good selection.

Thinking about the numbers, would publishing them in a list in a forum message be the best way to present them? It's OK when there aren't so many but it could get cumbersome with lots. I don't know whether this is practical or even possible, but could a gallery be set up so that only you can upload or update entries but we can all see them (once submission is closed of course)?

Cheers ... John

Bikie John
30th December 2009, 11:55 AM
There are a couple of problems with just embedding the photos in a forum message when there are a lot of them.

First, they are in a fixed sequence and the only way to view them is to scroll up and down. This makes it rather difficult to compare, say the first and the twenty-fifth.

Second, all the images have to be downloaded every time you visit the thread. Even on a modern fast connection this can get a bit crunchy if there are lots of them.

When I ran the November comp, John the MusicMan helpfully set up a gallery that only I could update. I saved the images in it, then embedded the full images into the "voting" post. In retrospect, this was a bit cumbersome. I think the galleries are open to everybody to view, so you could include a link to the gallery. There is also the option to embed thumbnails in the message rather than the full images - unless you've got hundreds that could be a good aide memoire without causing too many problems. It would then be easy for us to open images that we want to compare in separate windows or tabs.

And related to voting - you could ask for the votes by forum private message rather than general email. That way you have a cast-iron guarantee that voters are forum members. It looks as if we are limited to 50 messages in total though - I don't know whether this is a hard limit or something that the forum admins could change for you.

Good luck! ... John

Jonesgj
30th December 2009, 12:01 PM
.... I've noticed another site where a new thread is started and you can cast a vote for the photo of your choice (the photos being posted in another new thread) ....

On second thoughts, they also post the full results list top to bottom and as this is a fun competition and I will not post a full, overall ranking; it must be soul destroying if you don't get any or very few votes. I think it best if I provide the top three positions (retaining the actual vote emails for audit if necessary!) Hopefully maintaining the friendly nature of our site. I'm sure no one will disagree.

Jonesgj
30th December 2009, 12:25 PM
There are a couple of problems with just embedding the photos in a forum message when there are a lot of them.

First, they are in a fixed sequence and the only way to view them is to scroll up and down. This makes it rather difficult to compare, say the first and the twenty-fifth.

Second, all the images have to be downloaded every time you visit the thread. Even on a modern fast connection this can get a bit crunchy if there are lots of them.

When I ran the November comp, John the MusicMan helpfully set up a gallery that only I could update. I saved the images in it, then embedded the full images into the "voting" post. In retrospect, this was a bit cumbersome. I think the galleries are open to everybody to view, so you could include a link to the gallery. There is also the option to embed thumbnails in the message rather than the full images - unless you've got hundreds that could be a good aide memoire without causing too many problems. It would then be easy for us to open images that we want to compare in separate windows or tabs.

And related to voting - you could ask for the votes by forum private message rather than general email. That way you have a cast-iron guarantee that voters are forum members. It looks as if we are limited to 50 messages in total though - I don't know whether this is a hard limit or something that the forum admins could change for you.

Good luck! ... John

Okay John,

Sounds good.

If John - the musicman - or Ian could set-up a gallery for me to update that would be great. Not sure about the 50 PM limit. I'd better go and empty my inbox now!

Graydon

theMusicMan
30th December 2009, 12:54 PM
Okay John,

Sounds good.

If John - the musicman - or Ian could set-up a gallery for me to update that would be great. Not sure about the 50 PM limit. I'd better go and empty my inbox now!

Graydon
There ya go... all done. New gallery created, with permissions for you Graydon to upload et al.

Shout if there's anything else you need.

Jonesgj
30th December 2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks John. That was quick!

I'll go have a quick play.

Regards

Graydon

theMusicMan
30th December 2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks John. That was quick!

I'll go have a quick play.

Regards

Graydon
Sure, as I said please shout if there's anything missing.

I am just running through my '09 images now, tagging the ones I'd select as my fav's for the challenge. I am going to have my lady wife take a look through them to whittle them down further (subject to my agreement of her selection, of course) and will send my 3 entries off to you sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for organising this challenge.

Jonesgj
30th December 2009, 09:25 PM
Okay, a little over 24 hours to go and I have just under 50 entries :eek: and they're all really good.

I know there are some people, good photographers, still out there who haven't entered (yet) - Please don't miss the boat!

You know what you have to do ;) ........

This is the last BUMP from me. Good luck!

*chr

Ellie
30th December 2009, 11:56 PM
- Please don't miss the boat!

*sob I brought some pictures away with me to sort out, but now I can't use my email and won't be home until after twelfth night, which is well past the deadline.

DavidJ1609
31st December 2009, 01:57 PM
Done, but boy is it difficult to choose! [Edit: Not because I think they are all so good!)

Could you post stats for the top 10?

Thanks for all the effort.

DavidJ.

Jonesgj
31st December 2009, 06:16 PM
I know I said my previous post would be the last but I now have over 60 entries.

I have replied to every person who has entered and checked my spam folder of my email to ensure nothing has been missed. If you have submitted photos and havent heard from me, please PM me.

I also have a few queries (missing exif etc) please, if you have had a note from me please check asap and reply for inclusion.

Kind regards

Graydon

Meogeo
31st December 2009, 07:16 PM
I have just sent my entries.

Jonesgj
31st December 2009, 07:22 PM
I have just sent my entries.

Thanks Geoff.

All,

I'm now signing off until just before midnight when I'll collect the final entries.

What ever the outcome, I have sincerely enjoyed viewing all the wonderful images you have submitted. Thank you.

All the best for the new year.

Graydon

gregles
31st December 2009, 07:52 PM
Last minute entries sent

shenstone
31st December 2009, 08:48 PM
Last minute entries sent

Even more last minute

I thought what a nice thing to do over Xmas ....

Having spend time travelling to Yorkshire to visit my Dad who’s been rushed into Hospital twice since Xmas Eve I’m not feeling inspired at all

I’d like to enter, so I've offered three which I don’t think stand any chance, but will give people more to look at

Regards
Andy

ringneck
31st December 2009, 09:46 PM
Sent entries in a short while ago and could not believe they have been recieved AND entered....thanks Graydon for the confirmation and for organising the fun comp.

All the best for the New Year to you and ALL the members of this and the 4/thirds site...sorry I have not had time to look in recently...it was a busy run up to Christmas.

Thanks again
Keith. *chr

PaulE
31st December 2009, 11:27 PM
Just sent mine in - sorry for leaving it so close to the deadline. I hope I've got it right now :eek:

Happy New Year to all...
Paul.

Jonesgj
1st January 2010, 01:28 AM
Entry to the E-System Users "2009 End Of Year Challenge" is now closed. 89 entries :eek: :D have been received. I will post these in the gallery and a thread will be posted next week with voting instructions. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to enter.