PDA

View Full Version : Noise Reduction Setting Question

EH1
10th November 2009, 02:45 PM
I have just had to re-set my camera & can`t remember if the noise reduction should be left switched on or off? I just had a look at my other body which has it off, but I thought it was meant to be on? Help Please! :confused:

andym
10th November 2009, 02:53 PM
Edward

Noise reduction is dark frame subtraction and I think it only comes into play when shutter speed is over two seconds.I tend to leave it turned off and only use when I need it.
Down to you if you leave it or or not.I think it will not cause a problem if left on.

StephenL
10th November 2009, 02:55 PM
I always left it on for my belief that it does no harm; as Andy says, it only comes into play on longer exposures.

EH1
10th November 2009, 03:51 PM
So it looks like it does`nt much matter one way or the other then?

theMusicMan
10th November 2009, 03:58 PM
Not really Edward. You will notice it when you take longer exposure shots, as the total time to process is doubled. The shot is taken, say for a 20 second exposure, then the camera goes through another process of taking a black shot for another 20 seconds, then processes them to remove the noise. It's particularly frustrating when doing IR stuff as each shot takes twice as long!!

Graham_of_Rainham
10th November 2009, 04:10 PM
... when doing IR stuff

Quick question:

What produces the "better" IR image, is it with NR on or Post Processing to reduce any noise ???

theMusicMan
10th November 2009, 04:15 PM
I always have NR on for my IR and longer exposure shots. Noise isn't really an issue if the long exposure shots are not at an ISO above 1000 or so.

You should really always have NR turned on as this removes a massive amount of noise. The use of noise reduction in post processing really depends on the image, and on the effect or look you're after.

Though I am no expert Graham, most if not all of my IR images range between ISO 100 - 320, and so I don't get much noise in them at all to be honest and therefore haven't used neat image or CS3 to process them.

Nick Temple-Fry
10th November 2009, 04:29 PM
Doing church interiors means I often do a large number of long exposures (usually at iso 100-400) in fairly quick succession.

First I will attest to the advantages of NR - it really does sort out a lot of background grain and hot pixels.

Secondly I would suggest that NR and IS be considered as a pair. When NR comes into play you really do not want IS operating and helping to cook the sensor. NR also only operates when the camera is set to s-af.

Nick

photo_owl
10th November 2009, 05:02 PM
good point re IS - easy to forget

one futher 'complication' is that Oly has now added auto to the NR menu.....

as I understand it

auto works like on used to work, on cameras that don't have an auto setting.

on is now on - I don't know if there is an upper limit to this setting, logically it would be around the 1 sec mark and cover off the area where you might get away without it but may wish to use it....can't be ar*ed to check the manual

AlistairJ
11th November 2009, 01:51 PM
I have two basic settings under the user RESET1 and RESET2 slots, one for hand-held shooting and one for tripod based.

Thus under RESET1 I have
IS on
NR off
ISO200

Under RESET2 I have mostly the same but
IS off
NR on
ISO100
LV boost on ... etc

Only thing I find annoying is the few things that are not remembered in the RESET slots, one of these is the "RESET LENS" which I want on normally but off for tripod use.