PDA

View Full Version : Storage?

TRIPLEPOT
9th November 2009, 08:30 PM
What is considered the best way of storing pictures?
Back in the film days I managed to collect boxes of prints:confused: Now that we are in the digital age you can generate 100's of images:eek: just on a weeks holiday, even after culling. I have been inclined to burn them on to disc's in the past.
What is thought to be the better alternatives given the amount of images that can be produced, for long term storage?

Mike

photo_owl
9th November 2009, 09:20 PM
I use seagate free agent external hard drives - terabytes aren't that expensive now.

Online storage is useful for web use images

DVD's really don't hold enough to be useful as bulk medium but could obviously work for particular sessions/trips etc

Dick Bowman
10th November 2009, 08:37 AM
I don't really trust home-burnt DVDs as an archival medium.

Online storage may be an expensive option - I'm trying it out for "working files", but don't see it as a realistic option for images.

I think hard drives are the most practical/economic route at present. What I'd be a bit apprehensive about is the file format - would be very unfortunate to decide to archive everything in .DNF (for example) then find out in twenty years time that there was no current software able to read the files. Not sure whether that will really be an issue (fortunately I no longer have any 8" floppy disks).

f2uk
10th November 2009, 09:01 AM
Hard drive is probably the best option at the moment.
Rather than just straight external hard drives I would be tempted by some sort of DAS/NAS Raid Storage Array. At least with that option if you lose a disk you don't lose all your stuff.

The prices of Raid capable units is coming down all the time and most now support changing of disk sizes on the fly, so if your capacity requirements change then it is only internal disks you need to buy.

Ken Lister
24th November 2009, 08:51 PM
What is considered the best way of storing pictures?
Back in the film days I managed to collect boxes of prints:confused: Now that we are in the digital age you can generate 100's of images:eek: just on a weeks holiday, even after culling. I have been inclined to burn them on to disc's in the past.
What is thought to be the better alternatives given the amount of images that can be produced, for long term storage?

Mike

I use an external hard drive (Buffalo from Warehouse Express), it comes with automatic backup software, and the added advantage that I can easily transfer data - photos, emails, documents etc, to my laptop using the same drive, and of course backup my laptop data as well.

Wee man
25th November 2009, 12:25 AM
I use USB powered Western Digital - 250GB My Passport Elite drives they come with backup software and a scyn type program to link to other machines small enough to carry in your pocket and link to a laptop for downloads anywhere. 70 7dayshop.com
wee man

theMusicMan
25th November 2009, 06:48 AM
I have to say folks, I thought I had a rigorous back up process that would serve me well, but it has failed - though I can get the files back.

I have a process that ensures I spread the files around a combination of my internal drive (for recent two months worth of images) and my external hard drives - one of which has recently failed.

Whichever method you use, remember that hard drives do fail.

I am revising my backup process to move files I want to save to newer drives after a period of 2 years, as well as considering using an online storage medium thus taking advantage of their backup and failsafe processes.

StephenL
25th November 2009, 08:00 AM
I use hard drives - first iteration is on my C drive, second on my internal D drive, and a third copy on an external hard drive. Every couple of years or so I cycle the drives - fit a new C drive, the old C drive becomes my D drive, and so on. If I leave the house for more than a couple of days I remove the external drive and either take it with me or give it to my neighbour (whose house is not linked to mine!) for safe storage.

Gwyver
25th November 2009, 03:51 PM
I have to say folks, I thought I had a rigorous back up process that would serve me well, but it has failed - though I can get the files back. ...

John's comment is extremely pertinent. It is a very common IT issue that many organisations think they have a data backup process - but never actually test whether the restore works. All too often they get an unpleasant surprise.

So whatever method of storage you decide to use - for peace of mind check that the end-to-end recovery procedure does what you need.

theMusicMan
25th November 2009, 04:00 PM
John's comment is extremely pertinent. It is a very common IT issue that many organisations think they have a data backup process - but never actually test whether the restore works. All too often they get an unpleasant surprise.

So whatever method of storage you decide to use - for peace of mind check that the end-to-end recovery procedure does what you need.

Indeed.

Recently, the internal drive I had upgraded within my Mac to a 250GB drive, failed! My restore process worked perfectly and I was delighted. However, I recently (last week) had an external USB drive failure, and presently cannot get access to the files on that drive.

I think (and hope) it's a power supply issue with the caddie, so am going to swap the drive itself to an alternate unit, and see if I can recover the files this way. If not, then it's a drive rescue service that's needed. OK, only 1/3rd of my files are on this drive (as part of my process is to use an alternate external drive each time I save files off my internal hard drive to an external one), but still - it's a pain in the backside.