PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Advice on editing an image...

theMusicMan
9th November 2009, 12:45 PM
Hi All

I don't really use Photoshop, well not to any serious extent anyway - I am happy using it to add borders etc, but I need to edit an image to remove a small amount of spurious lens-flare within it. I'd like to simply tint an area under the brush and make it match the colour of the surrounding area, which will have the effect of removing the flare. The thing is, I have no idea how best to do this, or if this is the right approach to removing the flare! So, is anyone here able to offer advice as to how I could do this please...?

It's not something I can see an automated way of achieving, and I'd have to actually edit the image in order to remove the small amount of flare.

Anyone any ideas?

http://www.reflectingme.com/img/v1/p377135941-5.jpg

Nick Temple-Fry
9th November 2009, 12:55 PM
Without seeing it is difficult to advice.

However my tendency is to use a clone tool from an adjacent area. Watch out though, even areas of uniform appearance actually tend to get lighter/darker in one or two directions - so your choice of area to clone from should mimic the area you are cloning to.

Nick

theMusicMan
9th November 2009, 01:24 PM
Hey Nick

Ta for the advice. The thing is, I don't think I need to use the clone tool as the area under the flare still contains the content I desire; it's just that it is tinted with an orange'ish flare colour. I want to re-tint this area to the green hue of the adjacent tree colours.

I see some good potential in a specific image I took on the weekend when we were up in the Brecon Beacons, and am trying various post processing formats to get the desired end result. One thing that jumps out of the page at me is the small lens flare - I really need to get rid of it.

f2uk
9th November 2009, 01:33 PM
Do you use Lightroom?

If so, you could use the brush tool to alter only the part of the image you want to affect. There is a section lower down the list on the right hand side (can't remember the name of it sorry) that will allow you to only affect certain colours.

Never tried this, to remove lens flare, but I have to darken the sky in a landscape shot (similar to the demo here Local corrections (http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/lightroom/articles/lir2am_corrections.html)) it might do what you need.

theMusicMan
9th November 2009, 01:43 PM
Yes, I do use Lightroom... will look at that now. Thanks for the pointer.

PaulE
9th November 2009, 01:59 PM
There are afew things that might do what you want. The easiest would be to use the clone tool but set the brush mode to colour or even hue then sample off the unaffected green around the flare. Another possibilty would be to sample the green colour with the eye dropper tool then simply paint over the flare with a soft brush with it's mode set to colour. Even the healing brush tool will work with it's mode set to colour. You can either make the adjustments directly onto the background layer or if you prefer on a duplicate layer (with blend mode set to colour or otherwise). My guess is that it would be a combination of the above that would give the best results but it's just a matter of trial and error IMO.

stevednp3
9th November 2009, 02:11 PM
Hi John, can you post the image, as its hard to vision what you need to do *chr

theMusicMan
9th November 2009, 02:52 PM
Sure, but this is only a jpg copy of it... I'd need to do the editing on the TIFF I've created from the RAW. The flare is just left of center.

http://www.reflectingme.com/img/v3/p126649738-4.jpg

Nick Temple-Fry
9th November 2009, 03:09 PM
That'll go with a straightforward (at least in The GIMP) use of the clone tool, just choose areas with roughly the same branch pattern, increase the magnification (I'd use 400 so you can see/copy the pixel pattern) and use a smallish brush.

No different from getting rid of blurring artifacts left by Photomatix when foliage moves.

Nick

stevednp3
9th November 2009, 03:20 PM
yeah Same as Nick I'd use the clone tool or another way would be to create a blank layer above and use the clone tool to draw from the layer underneath and then you can mess with the hue and blending modes to get the texture and colour perfect.

Hope that helps

theMusicMan
9th November 2009, 03:22 PM
Hmmmm, though I am no expert and will try suggested methods, I am not sure I agree with you here. The thing is... I don't need anything 'cloned', the detail is all there. All I need to do is amend the colour/tone of a small area. Is there not a way to do this...?

stevednp3
9th November 2009, 03:59 PM
Try copying that area onto a top layer and play around with the hue and the blending mode of that top layer until it blends in and looks right

But I have to say cloning from another part of the tree would be easier and just look as good. you would know what you did, but other viewers wouldnt have a clue

Jim Ford
9th November 2009, 04:20 PM
How about using the 'Burn' tool in Photoshop, with an appropriately sized brush? I'm assuming the detail is still under the flare.

Jim

theMusicMan
9th November 2009, 04:22 PM
How about using the 'Burn' tool in Photoshop, with an appropriately sized brush? I'm assuming the detail is still under the flare.

Jim
Won't that just make the pixels under the brush darker though Jim...? I want them turned the same colour as the surrounding foliage.

Jim Ford
9th November 2009, 04:24 PM
Won't that just make the pixels under the brush darker though Jim...? I want them turned the same colour as the surrounding foliage.

Ermm - I think you're right!

Jim

Nick Temple-Fry
9th November 2009, 04:35 PM
Hmmmm, though I am no expert and will try suggested methods, I am not sure I agree with you here. The thing is... I don't need anything 'cloned', the detail is all there. All I need to do is amend the colour/tone of a small area. Is there not a way to do this...?

Well - you haven't got all the details 'cos most have been overwritten by the burn and anything that extracts the selection, mods the colour/hue/lightness will require very careful blending back not to leave visible edges, it probably can be done but it'll take longer (least it does for me).

But - like cooking or seduction - there are lots of different ways to do it. So have fun.

Nick

Zuiko
9th November 2009, 04:40 PM
Well - you haven't got all the details 'cos most have been overwritten by the burn and anything that extracts the selection, mods the colour/hue/lightness will require very careful blending back not to leave visible edges, it probably can be done but it'll take longer (least it does for me).

But - like cooking or seduction - there are lots of different ways to do it. So have fun.

Nick

I didn't realize that photo editing was like cooking and seduction. No wonder I fail miserably at it! :D

theMusicMan
9th November 2009, 05:48 PM
Hey John - can I have your opinion on the image please...? It isn't really ready to post just yet as there is some more processing required, but nonetheless, your expert opinion would be appreciated please.

I might be going back up there on the weekend (Jen wants to go up there with the dogs), so will have another opportunity to grab a similar shot - but with all advice on board.

stevednp3
9th November 2009, 06:21 PM
Hey John email me the image if you would like and I'll show what can be done with blending layers, im rubbish with explaing things, but I'll do it and email back a PSD file so you can learn by it *yes

Ian
9th November 2009, 06:24 PM

I can't see the image in question so it's hard to tell, but it sounds like you need to select the area that needs adjusting, then make the necessary adjustments (in PS by the way). You can feather the selection to blend in to the surrounding area.

Ian

theMusicMan
9th November 2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks Steve... will do. You OK with the E-3 raw file, or do you prefer the tiff?

Also - where shall I send it?

theMusicMan
9th November 2009, 06:25 PM
I can't see the image in question so it's hard to tell, but it sounds like you need to select the area that needs adjusting, then make the necessary adjustments (in PS by the way). You can feather the selection to blend in to the surrounding area.

Ian
The image should be there now Ian.

stevednp3
9th November 2009, 06:56 PM
Looking at the posted low res image, there is lost pixels in this area, so I think cloning is the only way to go, but there maybe more data to play with in the orginal image

try this for a VERY quick edit

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/p377135941-5.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/19110)

Yeah I'd love to see the orginal, please send it to my yahoo address and the raw will be fine, use www.yousendit.com if its bigger than 10mb

gno
9th November 2009, 07:15 PM
Hi John,

Just to be different I think I would first try the Patch tool, this tutorial (http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-remove-lens-flare-in-photoshop-16530/) may help it deals with a similar problem.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/MusicManLensFlare.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/19121)

Regards

Gavin

Ian
9th November 2009, 07:16 PM
http://e-group.uk.net/files/forum_images/p377135941-5-Ianmod.jpg

How about this?

I painted a Quick Mask over the affected area, feathered it by two pixels or so, then used a brush to selectively desaturate, and darken, then adjust the colour.

Ian

Ian
9th November 2009, 07:18 PM
http://e-group.uk.net/files/forum_images/p377135941-5-Ianmod.jpg

How about this?

I painted a Quick Mask over the affected area, feathered it by two pixels or so, then used a brush to selectively desaturate, and darken, then adjust the colour.

Ian

Steve has done a better job than me - mine is a bit too heavy. It would be easier with the full size original.

Ian

ringneck
9th November 2009, 09:18 PM
Hi John......First thing...what a fantastic image...no wonder you want to rescue it.
In this case I agree that a clone would do it great as it's an area where "it's not too critical" with branches and leaves etc.
I can see what you are getting at with wanting to do it by changing the colours to bring out the underlining details.If it was in a more sensitive area it could be the only way....so the original question can be asked again.
This was my quick go at it.....
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/p377135941-5a.jpg

This is one I had where I took HOURS tring to repair it (and failed),and I too wanted an answer similar to yours.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/mistytreeMOD.jpg

Thanks
Keith *chr

Wreckdiver
9th November 2009, 09:35 PM
If using CS3 or CS4 then the Spot Healing brush tool is great for getting rid small blemishes and unwanted objects. I was recently editing some shots with lens flare in and the tool removed most of the flare.

Steve

stevednp3
9th November 2009, 09:52 PM
Steve has done a better job than me - mine is a bit too heavy. It would be easier with the full size original.

Ian

Cheers Ian but I did think yours looked better and more true to the orginal scene.

Just goes to show so many different ways to fix the problem, but it is a great capture and will be worth spending the time on it

Best regards - Steve

Zuiko
9th November 2009, 10:12 PM
Ah, it's great to see the image at last, John. I can see why you want to rescue it and I can see the difficulties. I'll leave that to the experts because I haven't got a clue!

But what an image - and what a location! The whole image coveys a sense of vastness, with the stream acting as a very powerful leading line towards that rather evocative stand of Scot's Pines (in Wales:confused:), the apparent frailty of which seem to emphasise the wild and sometimes hostile envoironment. The cloud structure, in combination with the wide angle of view, seems to add a "rushing" effect, mimicing the fast-flowing stream and providing a dynamic sense of movement and drama.

It's a location worth returning to time and time again, in all types of light. I don't know what direction it faces but a sunrise or sunset with the sun breaking over the skyline just to the right of the pines would be spectacular. Yes, I know that risks yet more flare, but try different apertures, sometimes the position of the iris blades makes a difference.

The only things that I would perhaps try to exclude from the composition if possible are the two upward pointing branches at the extreme right edge of the picture. :)

Ian
10th November 2009, 08:36 AM
John, your picture has disappeared again! :eek:

Ian

theMusicMan
10th November 2009, 08:55 AM
How strange, I shall check now Ian. Ta for letting me know.

Zuiko
10th November 2009, 09:15 AM
How strange, I shall check now Ian. Ta for letting me know.

It's there now, at least I can see it. :)

theMusicMan
10th November 2009, 10:14 AM
I hadn't amended any settings but checked, and it shows for me. Not sure what the issue was Ian, sorry!