PDA

View Full Version : little Flo

little Flo
8th November 2009, 05:27 PM
Hi. can anybody help please. I have just purchased an E-620 which is my first foray into digital SLR. I am looking to buy a telephoto lens of around 300 - 600mm but do not have a big budget. My primary reason for buying is such that I can photography display aircraft during the summer months. If I buy a "cheap" manual they are all F8 - would this be OK or should I wait until I can afford an auto 70 - 300mm (or better). If I go with the manual option who offers the best lens. *chr

dbutch
8th November 2009, 05:53 PM
Hi and welcome

I am assuming that you have the E620 with the 14-42 std zoom? the 40-150 that often is sold as the twin lens kit can be had for good money and gives a 35mm equivalent of 300mm - if you want longer then yes the 70-300 gives you the cheapest option for AF (might be a sigma alternative).

For manual focus lenses some others around here have played a bit I believe but to use you need an adaptor - you need an adaptor for the lens fitting you have eg. Olympus OM to fourthirds or nikon to fourthirds etc..

Another thing to remember is the manual lens will also be stopped down so no auto aperture.

Dave

little Flo
8th November 2009, 05:57 PM
Hi Dave Yes you are right I do have the twin lens kit but recon I need a longer lens for the aircraft shots, am hoping that 1 of the senior members will reply with a view as to what lens I need or should get. *chr

EH1
8th November 2009, 07:37 PM
I think the minimum (cost wise) you need is the 70-300mm! *yes

Jim Ford
8th November 2009, 08:13 PM
I think because of the relative slowness of the 70-300mm, you may find you have problems with getting a fast enough shutter speed for moving aircraft. In this case, you may find the much more expensive 50-200mm more suitable.

Jim

BTW - welcome!

little Flo
8th November 2009, 08:57 PM
So are we saying auto rather than manual? Am I likely to find a 50 - 200 used? *chr

EH1
8th November 2009, 09:01 PM
So are we saying auto rather than manual? Am I likely to find a 50 - 200 used? *chr

Yes, for around 400 for the non SWD version & would be much better than the 70-300mm for what you want! :)

Batman
8th November 2009, 09:41 PM
Hi little flo and welcome.

I'm not nearly as experienced as many on this forum but I have used my 70-300mm lens at an airshow in pretty bad weather. The cloud base was so low that there was not much fast jet action, but here are some of a Hawker Nimrod at Yeovilton this year, to give you a feel for that lens' capability. Nothing special I'm afraid, but I blame that partially on the weather. I do think the 70-300 is a great lens for the money. I can't dispute that a faster lens would be better if you can afford it though. Hope this helps.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P7110646_edited-2.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P7110622_edited-1.jpg

davidsa
8th November 2009, 09:45 PM
I have recently acquired a legacy OM 200 mm F4 lens (ie 400 mm equivalent) on ebay for some 40.

Several initial shots have been spectacular but it will take some getting used to. As mentioned it has to be used with aperture priority which means there is little control of the shutter speed when you are trying to freeze motion.

Also my cheap adapter ring is introducing a detecable wobble. This will have to be resolved to make it usable. Is this a common problem?

Coupling this lens with a 2x adapter (ie 800 mm equivalent) lets me imagine I am a CIA agent examining Fidel's beard!

Notwithstanding the above, I find the 40-150mm satisfyingly sharp even at its limit; its results will take quite a lot of cropping.

David

little Flo
8th November 2009, 10:17 PM
Seems I either spend about 40 on something that could work or 400 on something that will. Unless somebody else knows different!!
Thanks for the photo's Batman don't look to bad to me.
Heres a question what if I was to use a 70 - 300 with a 2X adapter would that suffice? *chr

Adagio
8th November 2009, 10:24 PM
Heres a question what if I was to use a 70 - 300 with a 2X adapter would that suffice? *chr

I am not sure that you can use the EC-20 but you can certainly use the EC-14

snaarman
8th November 2009, 10:47 PM
If you want to go long and cheap then a legacy 200mm could be the way. You can switch IS on and use the old lens in Aperture priority - it maybe you can even preset the focus as well to save time whan taking the shot.

I use a Tamron 200 f3.5 - it cost 28 plus an adapter - and I find it a great lens. AF would be great so maybe I will save up and get the 50-200 one day. Until then I will stick with the old glass.

Pete

davidsa
8th November 2009, 10:50 PM
Well, it depends what you mean by "work"!

My legacy lens will be fine if I can sort out the wobbly adapter. It will be more difficult to use particularly when trying to freeze motion without direct control of the shutter speed.

But it will be a challenge, lots of fun to play with, and very satisfying when I do get the hang of it!

I need a long focus lens because my son is a keen cricketer and my pocket won't stretch to a 70-300 at the moment, let alone a 50-200mm.

I don't imagine my (non zoom) old OM lens's performance will match the modern professional quality 50-200.

David

Seems I either spend about 40 on something that could work or 400 on something that will. Unless somebody else knows different!!
Thanks for the photo's Batman don't look to bad to me.

davidsa
9th November 2009, 11:27 AM
It will be more difficult to use particularly when trying to freeze motion without direct control of the shutter speed.

David

For the sake of good order:

The above (of course) isn't quite true. What I meant was:

you have less control if you set the camera to aperture priority and let it choose a shutter speed.

Clearly you can set the camera to manual and choose whatever shutter speed you like (guided, if you wish, by the camera's metering system).

David

EH1
9th November 2009, 12:24 PM
Heres a question what if I was to use a 70 - 300 with a 2X adapter would that suffice? *chr[/QUOTE]

I think it will work in theory, but you would lose a further 2 stops of light, so would`nt be a good idea! Also this set-up would cost around 600 for both the lens & adapter. ;)

little Flo
9th November 2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks gentlemen for all the info. I now have something to think about. Any idea where I get an adaptor (model number included if possible) for a manual lens - assuming I go down that road. :)

EH1
9th November 2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks gentlemen for all the info. I now have something to think about. Any idea where I get an adaptor (model number included if possible) for a manual lens - assuming I go down that road. :)

There are loads on ebay! ;)

little Flo
9th November 2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks Edward will have a look. :)