PDA

View Full Version : 620 first thoughts

crimbo
8th November 2009, 09:17 AM
Yes it is less than 12 hours in my hands
No I have not read the manual through...yet
But...it feels so differnt from the 400 that I am going to have a learning curve with it...talking of curves I dont think it has the same 'appeal' as the 400 which in itself is way less than the Pen...but it is here to take pictures so...
One of my main subjects is the night sky...
With the 400 the base noise at ISO 800 was a bit gross...
http://www.paddle.shetland.co.uk/e400%20iso800%20noise.jpg

but with a few nights work I could squeeze out this with the 11-22
http://www.paddle.shetland.co.uk/PA180007_2%20-%20Copy.jpg

so at ISO 1600 I can get the 620 base noise to look like this... so roll on a clear night...
http://www.paddle.shetland.co.uk/PB070054.jpg

at ISO 3200 it looks rather gross still but I will work on that...and as to just taking piccies...
http://www.paddle.shetland.co.uk/PB070032%20copy.jpg

now to get another morning cuppa, pick up the manual and find out what this live view stuff is all about.

... and will I stop using raw???????

(only minor gripe...the screen hinge is not at the top)

Jim Ford
8th November 2009, 11:16 AM
No I have not read the manual through...yet

Hmm - reminds me of a Dave Barry quote:

"Congratulations! You have purchased an extremely fine device that would give you thousands of years of trouble-free service, except that you undoubtably will destroy it via some typical bonehead consumer maneuver. Which is why we ask you to PLEASE FOR GOD'S SAKE READ THIS OWNER'S MANUAL CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU UNPACK THE DEVICE. YOU ALREADY UNPACKED IT, DIDN'T YOU? YOU UNPACKED IT AND PLUGGED IT IN AND TURNED IT ON AND FIDDLED WITH THE KNOBS, AND NOW YOUR CHILD, THE SAME CHILD WHO ONCE SHOVED A POLISH SAUSAGE INTO YOUR VIDEOCASSETTE RECORDER AND SET IT ON "FAST FORWARD", THIS CHILD ALSO IS FIDDLING WITH THE KNOBS, RIGHT? AND YOU'RE JUST NOW STARTING TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS, RIGHT??? WE MIGHT AS WELL JUST BREAK THESE DEVICES RIGHT AT THE FACTORY BEFORE WE SHIP THEM OUT, YOU KNOW THAT?"

Jim

crimbo
8th November 2009, 11:26 AM
Is it my fault that manufacturers do not design devices with the X or Y chromosome in mind?:D

photo_owl
8th November 2009, 11:37 AM
Is it my fault that manufacturers do not design devices with the X or Y chromosome in mind?:D

they do - most manuals are never read, nor missed!

EH1
8th November 2009, 12:16 PM
Why do you think you might stop using RAW?

Zuiko
8th November 2009, 01:11 PM
they do - most manuals are never read, nor missed!

Or understood, even if they are read!

That's what forums like this are for - so that you can find out from someone who found out by trial and error what you couldn't! :D

crimbo
8th November 2009, 01:55 PM
Why do you think you might stop using RAW?

some users of the 620 have said that the OOC jpeg requires little if any processing...

StephenL
8th November 2009, 03:07 PM
Those were my first thoughts with the E-620. However, and no disrespect to the Jpeg engine, I simply can't get out of the habit of shooting Raw. Sometimes I even manage to convert them better than the cameras does! :p

some users of the 620 have said that the OOC jpeg requires little if any processing...

andym
8th November 2009, 03:40 PM

You'll have to find something else to do on these long winter evenings.

I like fiddling around with Raw files.*yes

Sounds like a song from "Tommy".

Jim Ford
8th November 2009, 04:00 PM
You'll have to find something else to do on these long winter evenings.

I like fiddling around with Raw files.*yes

Sounds like a song from "Tommy".

"You won't shout while I fiddle about!"

Jim

Jonesgj
8th November 2009, 07:52 PM
(only minor gripe...the screen hinge is not at the top)

Chris, Do you mean like the Nikons (although they hinge at the bottom I think?)

If the hinge was at the bottom or top, how would you see it from the front a) over the top of the flash housing (if hinged at the top) or b) through the tripod (if hinged at the bottom)?

Is this what you mean? I think the Oly design with hinges at the side works really well. Using it since May and this design, I feel, works really well.

I love the night sky shot by the way - lovely.

Kind regards

Graydon

crimbo
8th November 2009, 08:15 PM
thanks Graydon
I was wanting the hinge at the top but at the side so i could just flip it up...but very minor gripe