PDA

View Full Version : Introducing DxO Optics Pro

Four Thirds User
5th November 2009, 06:40 PM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

DxO Optics Pro 6, a powerful and unique RAW file convesion package, now supports Olympus E-System cameras. Here is a short introduction to a remarkable software package from a software company based in Paris, France.

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2009/11/introducing_dxo_optics_pro.php)

Ian
6th November 2009, 12:08 PM
Here's a before and after using OP6's perspective, horizon and volumetric geometry corrections (these are manual controls rather then the profile-dependent automatic ones).

Before (out of Lightroom 2.5)

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/550/P5179554.jpg (http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/14496)

After:

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/550/P5179554_DxO_raw.jpg (http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/14497)

Ian

Invicta
6th November 2009, 12:33 PM
Useful photo to demo the converging vertical corrections Ian.

Looks like DxO lost it a little in the roof structure though.

How are you using DxO with Lightroom? Did you use DNG file format or does it work directly with the Lightroom database?

Will definitely have to try the demo. Maybe worth Oly users requesting their fav lens be added using the DxO form (e.g. I could not see the 50-200mm in the supported list) :

http://www.dxo.com/en/photo/support/modules/availability/pb_availability

Ian
6th November 2009, 01:16 PM
Useful photo to demo the converging vertical corrections Ian.

Looks like DxO lost it a little in the roof structure though.

How are you using DxO with Lightroom? Did you use DNG file format or does it work directly with the Lightroom database?

Will definitely have to try the demo. Maybe worth Oly users requesting their fav lens be added using the DxO form (e.g. I could not see the 50-200mm in the supported list) :

http://www.dxo.com/en/photo/support/modules/availability/pb_availability

At the moment I'm only using OP6 manually with Lightroom, so I just drag the RAW file from a Windows Explorer folder opened from Lightroom.

There is talk of a way to make the way OP works with Lightroom more closely integrated, but I haven't got that far.

Interesting that the 50-200 is not listed, maybe it's so good it needs no corrections! :D Seriously, I will ask them about this.

I wonder if the roof detail looks different because OP6 has lightened it. I will look at the same detail in Lightroom and report back.

Ian

Ian
6th November 2009, 01:22 PM
At the moment I'm only using OP6 manually with Lightroom, so I just drag the RAW file from a Windows Explorer folder opened from Lightroom.

There is talk of a way to make the way OP works with Lightroom more closely integrated, but I haven't got that far.

Interesting that the 50-200 is not listed, maybe it's so good it needs no corrections! :D Seriously, I will ask them about this.

I wonder if the roof detail looks different because OP6 has lightened it. I will look at the same detail in Lightroom and report back.

Ian

Yes the roof detail simply shows more of the structure in the OP6 version. In the original this is silhouetted.

Ian

Jim Ford
6th November 2009, 02:16 PM
Hmm - it's expensive 99 for the 'Standard' edition (but currently on special offer of 69).

The 'Elite' edition is an eye watering 199 - special offer 139.

Some trial users on dpreview aren't impressed.

Jim

StephenA
6th November 2009, 03:21 PM
Hmm - it's expensive 99 for the 'Standard' edition (but currently on special offer of 69).

Jim

At 69 its a steal. You have to realise that what you are getting is software that is specifically designed for the camera and lenses you use. No other mainstream software offers that. When you also consider that the ease with which it can make corrections even the non auto ones there is going to be a time saving. The Elite version is a bit pricey, but that is mainly for togs with Pro cameras. The time savings for a Pro could be well worth the outlay. At the end of the day though its horses for courses and it will not totally replace Lightroom or Photoshop if these are definitely going to be part of your workflow. I'm looking forward to the Mac V6 to be released :tup

Ian
6th November 2009, 03:25 PM

Jim

Can you provide a link? I had a quick look around and most of them seem impressed.

Ian

Jim Ford
6th November 2009, 04:12 PM
Can you provide a link? I had a quick look around and most of them seem impressed.

Ian

A couple in this thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1022&thread=33581762

Jim

Ian
6th November 2009, 04:36 PM
A couple in this thread:

Jim

Well, I'd honestly say most of the comments were positive and the couple that weren't were questionable in my mind. I've got it running on an XP desktop and a Windows 7 laptop and both have run faultlessly. The lens modules downloaed for me in around 2 minutes, so I don't know why one of the posters had a problem with long downloads.

It's quite true that OP is slow relative to Lightroom, but it's doing more work and, arguably, to a greater depth.

Opinion seems to be split regarding the noise reduction - at 1:1 with very high ISO images it does look a bit water colour like, but edges are sharp and I can't see much colour saturation sacrificed. I'm sure the results will print well.

I'd just reiterate that OP is not a replacement for Lightroom, it's complementary.

Ian

Nick Temple-Fry
6th November 2009, 04:42 PM
A couple in this thread:

Jim

Well the download and install on XP was a quick and painless process, just like any windows install.

Raw development is at least as fast as either Rawtherapee or Master.

I don't understand the comment on windows directory handling - it is just like any other windows based product.

It hasn't crashed my machine so far.

Nick

Jim Ford
6th November 2009, 05:41 PM
W
Raw development is at least as fast as either Rawtherapee

Well that's not saying much - I gave up on Rawtherapee because I found it glacially slow!

Jim

Jim Ford
6th November 2009, 05:51 PM
I'd just reiterate that OP is not a replacement for Lightroom, it's complementary.

A lot of money though, just for an add-on.

Jim

StephenA
6th November 2009, 06:48 PM
A lot of money though, just for an add-on.

Jim

I'm sure the term "add-on" is not appropriate to OP, and frankly I've seen many Photoshop plugins more expensive

PeterD
6th November 2009, 08:40 PM
I have downloaded and tried to use this software for a couple of days. Most of the time I have been fighting a bug in the software and now my version freezes everytime I open it up.

I own both the E3 and E500 and have not segregated the files - as I am sure most two camera owners will also do. The problem is that the program does not gracefully tell you that the image format is not supported but indicates it is trying to 'loading - please wait'. This seems a very basic programming failure and as a result, I am unable to evaluate it.:mad:

Jim Ford
6th November 2009, 09:06 PM
I own both the E3 and E500 and have not segregated the files - as I am sure most two camera owners will also do. The problem is that the program does not gracefully tell you that the image format is not supported but indicates it is trying to 'loading - please wait'. This seems a very basic programming failure and as a result, I am unable to evaluate it.:mad:

Just as well you used the trial version and didn't pay 139 for it!

Jim

PeterD
6th November 2009, 09:36 PM

Jim

Exactly my line of thinking;). Seriously though - it is unbelievable that such an issue arises in commercial software.

Ian
9th November 2009, 09:01 AM

Jim

If you use Lightroom or Adobe Bridge you can sort your files into camera types very easily.

Ian

PeterD
9th November 2009, 10:40 AM
If you use Lightroom or Adobe Bridge you can sort your files into camera types very easily.

Ian

Of course you can Ian but that is not the point. This is software which is on sale at not a pittance. I would have expected the software to continue to work properly, sorting out the files that it can work with and ignoring those it cannot with a warning. Instead, this software tries to open a folder and then just hangs until you quit it. Try opening up again afresh and the same thing happens without giving you an option to change to another folder. Whilst I managed to use it a couple of times (E3 files only) I was impressed that it recognised that I was using a lens for which it did not have the files, offered to download it and installed it without any fuss. It is a shame they did not consider what would happen if it came across a file it did not recognise :eek:

I have removed this program from my PC and will not try it again until this basic fault is fixed. I note that you have contacts with the supplier and perhaps you could advise them of what I have found. I am sure that they too will be horrified and want to fix it asap.

Thanks

Ian
9th November 2009, 10:43 AM
Of course you can Ian but that is not the point. This is software which is on sale at not a pittance. I would have expected the software to continue to work properly, sorting out the files that it can work with and ignoring those it cannot with a warning. Instead, this software tries to open a folder and then just hangs until you quit it. Try opening up again afresh and the same thing happens without giving you an option to change to another folder. Whilst I managed to use it a couple of times (E3 files only) I was impressed that it recognised that I was using a lens for which it did not have the files, offered to download it and installed it without any fuss. It is a shame they did not consider what would happen if it came across a file it did not recognise :eek:

I have removed this program from my PC and will not try it again until this basic fault is fixed. I note that you have contacts with the supplier and perhaps you could advise them of what I have found. I am sure that they too will be horrified and want to fix it asap.

Thanks

I understand, but I was just offering a workaround. I am feeding back comments to DxO.

Ian

PeterD
9th November 2009, 11:01 AM
I understand, but I was just offering a workaround. I am feeding back comments to DxO.

Ian

Thank you Ian. I appreciate that you were offering good advice but having spent a couple of days hoping I could convince the program that it should look in other folders than remain stuck on the folder it failed on I just lost patience and uninstalled it. I am not sure that you realised that the program seems to remember the last folder that was opened and tries to open it again when re-loaded.

Jim Ford
9th November 2009, 11:17 AM

Here's my feedback, Ian: Tell them that the 'special offer' of 139 is still way too expensive!

Jim