PDA

View Full Version : Olympus E-P2 hands-on preview

Four Thirds User
5th November 2009, 06:08 AM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

Read our preview of the new Olympus Pen E-P2 based on our hands-on examination of a pre-release sample, which reveals an exciting new high resolution electronic viewfinder and a host of other developments, plus news of forthcoming new m.Zuiko lenses.

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2009/11/olympus_ep2_handson_preview.php)

Ian
5th November 2009, 06:58 AM
Yes, the E-P2 has been officially announced! The main headline for the E-P2 is that it has a high resolution electronic viewfinder, although you may be surprised to find that it's detachable :)

Ian

dbutch
5th November 2009, 08:26 AM
Hi Ian

That looks a logical upgrade to the E-P1 and the viewfinder looks impessive (if a bit big) I think the modular approach is sensible in that you can travel small if you like etc.. my only slight issue is the one or other approach - its the viewfinder or the flash or the mic!

I think something like a compact viewfinder module (non tilting) combined with a flash would be a very useful attachement.

Enough of any negative that 9-18 lens looks tiny from the pic it is smaller in diameter and only slighty longer than the retracted 14-42 wow this is really where m4/3 scores - I could see going for something like the E-P1 or 2 as a wide angle solution and the DSLRs for portrait and long work

Dave

Ian
5th November 2009, 09:16 AM
Hi Ian

That looks a logical upgrade to the E-P1 and the viewfinder looks impessive (if a bit big) I think the modular approach is sensible in that you can travel small if you like etc.. my only slight issue is the one or other approach - its the viewfinder or the flash or the mic!

I think something like a compact viewfinder module (non tilting) combined with a flash would be a very useful attachement.

Enough of any negative that 9-18 lens looks tiny from the pic it is smaller in diameter and only slighty longer than the retracted 14-42 wow this is really where m4/3 scores - I could see going for something like the E-P1 or 2 as a wide angle solution and the DSLRs for portrait and long work

Dave

Micro Four Thirds especially lends itself to compact wide angle lens design, more so than telephoto, to be honest.

Ian

Nick Temple-Fry
5th November 2009, 09:36 AM
OK - I know it's too early in the thread really for this kind of response but...

Why limit the evf to being fitted to the camera - a nice little lead plugging into the socket and a pair of clips to attach the evf to your glasses and you'll have the evf where you want it and give the camera total freedom in your hands. OK you'll look like a right dork - but that's been the lot of photographers since the invention of the camera. Those unfortunates without glasses may need just a couple of threaded bolt holes in the forehead and some wing nuts.

Does the evf draw power through the flash socket - or is it just a mechanical connection?

Nick

Graham_of_Rainham
5th November 2009, 03:33 PM
...Why limit the evf to being fitted to the camera
Nick

Oh! YES PLEASE *yes

This would be a truly innovative feature, especially if it were made E-System compatable with future DSLR bodies or able to display the live view stream (with the inevitable power supply/adapter)

With the new wide angle lens, this is looking like perfect timing for my 60th birthday present :D

*chr

dbutch
5th November 2009, 03:39 PM
I think I posted this before:)

Olympus has the technology

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_eyetrek.asp :rolleyes:

Dave

Ijay37
8th November 2009, 03:49 PM
I wonder if the view finder will fit on the EP-1, some thing maybe Ian can find out. After all the 17mm view finder fits.
Regards John

dbutch
8th November 2009, 05:07 PM
No regarding the viewfinder - the E-P2 has an additional eclectronic connector below the hotshoe

Dave