PDA

View Full Version : erasing an edge in cs2

Oakleigh Photography
2nd November 2009, 11:37 AM
Hi All
Woulod someone be able to help me, im trying to erase a fairly striaght line using a round brush in CS2.

This may sound like a dumb question but are there any square brushes that can be used with the erasure tool to prevent any round indentations inside the image I want to keep, or is it simply a case of using a soft edged brush

Thanks

John

Nick Temple-Fry
2nd November 2009, 11:46 AM
Don't know about photoshop but in The GIMP I tend to

1) Do any erasure as early as possible in pp (usually before any noise treatment)

2) use a continuous movement with the brush (this tends to avoid edges)

3) Wop the magnigfication upto 400% and then select the area and use a very small diameter gaussian blur to smooth out and edge artifacts (small and perhaps repeated is the key).

This should work in photoshop as well.

Nick

gno
2nd November 2009, 12:42 PM
Hi John,

You need to use "Block" rather than Brush or pencil for your mode type then set the size in the same way that you would for a brush.

Regards

Gavin

Oakleigh Photography
2nd November 2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys for your replies, that will help alot

OlyPaul
2nd November 2009, 12:56 PM
John,

You can simply load the square brush set that should have come ready installed with CS2 just click on the little arrow to the right of the brush box, these brushes can also be used with the erazer tool as well.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography/image/118977186.jpg

By the way you can easily make any shaped brush you desire when you know how.:)

snaarman
2nd November 2009, 01:07 PM
You could first use the "polygonal lasso tool" (ugly spiky button thing) that lets you define any polygonal area of the image with nice straight sides at any angle.

Having done that, you can use any shape brush or eraser because it will only work inside the area specified. Hope this makes sense.

Very useful trick for that tricky cloning job :-)

Pete

Oakleigh Photography
9th November 2009, 12:55 PM
Can you use the pen tool to create a smooth curve on an image and then can you delete away what falls outside you r selection.

Would this create a smooth selection if your image has a very rough outline

Here is a link to what im trying to acheive http://www.martinkwakernaat.nl/index.html

I was wondering how this guy gets such a smooth outline within his photo's Any help would do

Those images are photoshopped as they are not realistic, its the smooth outline on the breast im after. When I extract my images using filter and extract, I dont get smooth lines like these birds.

Anyone have any idea how this guy does it. My experience is these guys dont give way their tricks and tips

John

Nick Temple-Fry
9th November 2009, 01:10 PM
I suspect the starting point is the original photograph. If you make a choice about backgrounds and expose solely on the bird, then a quick play with levels will give uniform black/grey.

Similarly a lighter background can easily be forced out to white. Then a selection based around colour can take the background away.

Freehand selections need to be done very slowly at very high magnifications (say 400%)

Nick

Oakleigh Photography
9th November 2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks Nick

I have had pigeons for many years and none have ever looked this shape was just wondering how he manipulates the bird to look like that

John

Jim Ford
9th November 2009, 03:38 PM
I think I'd be using the 'Quick Mask' with a high magnification to make the selection.

Jim

photo_owl
9th November 2009, 05:34 PM
the best selection tutorials I am aware of are here

http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/branches/branches.htm

however selection alone isn't the issue here, as you would appear to have established, and there is going to be a little more in the 'define edges' area going on (at least)

on the basis that these are portraits rather than adverts (for sale) then there could be any number of processes being applied once the basic bird is isolated.

Oakleigh Photography
10th November 2009, 10:44 AM
Many Thanks for all the replies

John