PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Ring Flash

PeterD
27th October 2009, 09:07 PM
While looking up lenses in another post in the forum, I got sidetracked into looking up a ring flash on Ebay.

Found this and wonder if anyone can comment - either user or not.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Macro-Flash-Ring-For-Olympus-Sony-Pentax-Minolta-Metz_W0QQitemZ350214170187QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca merasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraFlashUnits_JN?h ash=item518a64264b

If it works, seems like a cool solution for Macro.

dbutch
27th October 2009, 09:26 PM
Hi Peter

I have one ane made a short report about it here

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6083

Cheers

Dave

PeterD
27th October 2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for that Dave. You have just about sold me on it. Love the bracket mod too. Those demonstration images you produced really do show why I need one for my Macro work.

Before I order though, I just want to check out one of your cautions. I am using the Sigma 150mm DG Macro. Do you think it is compatable? Could you please advise me of a good shoe mounted flash unit?

Thanks for your help

dbutch
27th October 2009, 09:59 PM
Pete

With the ring flash fitted to my FL-50 the front of the ring is approx 90mm from the lens mount - the 12-60 at 12mm sticks out about 6-8mm.

I believe someone else on here has used the adaptor with a Metz flash

I took the view at that price its got to be worth a play and I'm happy I did

Dave

PeterD
27th October 2009, 10:33 PM
Dave,

Thanks again. I have now ordered it. All I need now is a shoe mounted flash gun. Been reading up on the Metz. It says manual zoom - any idea what that means?
Cheers

Peter

PS There are 3 models to choose from. I am a total novice and before purchasing cheap I would like some advice please.

dbutch
27th October 2009, 11:16 PM
Pete

I believe manual zoom means the flash head has a sliding collar to change the angle of the beam to match your lens, on the likes of the FL-36 & 50 this is motorised and changes as you zoom your lens in and out.

I believe the Metz 48... is a reasonable flash near the power of the FL-50 but the price of the 36. I have heard it said that the cheaper Metz flash (approx 75) build quality isn't great.

I have been thinking about the 48 as a back-up and also because it has good recycling speed.

Dave

PeterD
27th October 2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks Dave. I must admit that I was erring to the middle and top end models. Partly because of the ability to update the gun's firmware via usb. The only thing still holding me back is the interface with the ring flash. How is this achieved and could this be an issue?

Cheers

PS Just found the cheapest price 146 + 10 shipping from Bristol Cameras.

Nick Temple-Fry
28th October 2009, 12:26 AM
Peter

If you are going to have to buy a seperate flash, which otherwise you apparently don't need, then this starts to look like less of a bargain. Why not (albeit at a higher price) consider the Metz MS-1, about 290 or less.

Certainly what I hope to be using next year.

Nick

PeterD
28th October 2009, 07:21 AM
Peter

If you are going to have to buy a seperate flash, which otherwise you apparently don't need, then this starts to look like less of a bargain. Why not (albeit at a higher price) consider the Metz MS-1, about 290 or less.

Certainly what I hope to be using next year.

Nick

Good morning Nick.
Thanks for your post above. I have had another look at the Metz MS-1 which I had previously discounted because the adaptor rings supplied would not fit the Sigma 150 DG Macro. I did this because I know you would have researched it properly and I must have missed something. Sure enough I had:(. The 72mm adapter is available as an optional extra.
Looking again at the choices, I still will go ahead with the options I have taken up as I have not been satisfied with the results I get from the camera flash anyway and this way I can kill two birds with one (or is it two) stone(s).
So far the Metz 48 looks the best flash unit to get as I cannot justify spending over 250 at this time. The total set-up is 28 + 156 = 184. I might just get away with this;)

PeterD
28th October 2009, 03:50 PM
Decided on, and purchased the Metz 48 and already ordered the Ring Flash Adaptor so.......looking forward to testing them:).
I do have the advantage that the E500 is dedicated to Macro and the E3 to all other jobs so I shall not have too many problems setting up etc, Just want to find a bag to safely contain my Macro gear. I shall have to now take it out of the backpack.
Thanks all who replied on this and particular thanks to Dave who provided the info of the minor mod to make.

PeterD
4th November 2009, 07:01 PM
Since posting my last message I have now received the Metz 48 Flash Gun and just today, the Ring Flash that started off this thread.

I had a few days with the Metz Flash Gun while waiting for the Ring Flash. I have to say I am impressed Even without the Ring Flash, Macro lighting performance has improved greatly. Probably due to the controlled flash intensity which ensures the light is right at the subject I focus on. Like the Olympus Flash Units, it has a motorised Zoom. The maximum focal length it can zoom to is 105mm (35mm equivalent) which is somewhat short of the 150mm (300mm equiv.) Macro lens I am using. I still found brightness acoss the image to be uniform so this does not appear to be a problem.

The Ring flash arrived late today so I have not yet had the opportunity to try this out on insects yet.

A question for Dave who has a similar set-up. While playing around with the equipment I found that I had to increase the flash brightness. As you say, this is hardly surprising. I believe you also use this on the E500. Could you please let me know what camera/flash settings you use? This will shorten my experimenting time significantly. Thanks.

More on this when I get a chance to use it properly.

dbutch
4th November 2009, 07:58 PM
Hi Pete

I am using my ring flash with an FL-50 on an E-30

I'm finding +0.7 to +1 usually but it is a bit of trial and error as it depends whats around the subject, I usually use the camera on manual with the flash on ttl auto - I use the camera on manual to a/ control depth of field and b/ to control how bright the background ambiant light is.

Dave

PeterD
4th November 2009, 08:12 PM
Hi Pete

I am using my ring flash with an FL-50 on an E-30

I'm finding +0.7 to +1 usually but it is a bit of trial and error as it depends whats around the subject, I usually use the camera on manual with the flash on ttl auto - I use the camera on manual to a/ control depth of field and b/ to control how bright the background ambiant light is.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Great advice. I have kept the E500 on Aperture Priority. I shall use this evening to get the hang of this with passive objects - I find them more patient when it comes to experimenting*yes.

Jon*E
30th December 2009, 06:32 PM
Hi

Sorry to drag up an old post, I'm looking for a macro flash solution for my E-420 with the Olympus 35mm Macro lens, do you think the Metz 48 and O-Flash adapter would work or is the lens too short?

Cheers

Jon

PeterD
30th December 2009, 07:39 PM
Hi

Sorry to drag up an old post, I'm looking for a macro flash solution for my E-420 with the Olympus 35mm Macro lens, do you think the Metz 48 and O-Flash adapter would work or is the lens too short?

Cheers

Jon

Jon

Which O flash adaptor are we talking about?

Thank you for resurrecting this post as I see that I have not fulfilled what I said I would do:o

I tried the adaptor from Hong Kong with the Metz 48 bought locally. It works but I suspect that the focal length of my Sigma 150 exceeds the ideal focal length for the Metz Flash to get best performance. I have also bought the flash defuser for the Metz 48 and this works quite well in Macro - killing off the bright reflections one gets when photographing an insect with a highly reflective body.

When the weather picks up again, I shall try it once more and let you know by posting examples. Time has been my enemy at the moment though.

Jon*E
31st December 2009, 09:54 AM
Hi Peter

The adapter I was talking about is the same one you linked to in your original post.

I'm going to need a flash whether I get the adapter or not so I think I'll go for the Metz 48, does anyone know if it can it be used remotely with my E-420 like the Olympus FL-36R can?

Cheers

Jon

PeterD
31st December 2009, 11:29 AM
Hi Jon,

It is certainly as capable of working remote TTL mode. I am not sure of your camera body capabilities.

See http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electronics/mecablitz-models/system-flash-units/mecablitz-48-af-1-digital.html.

Jon*E
31st December 2009, 02:08 PM
Cheers Peter

I've got an E-420 which I'm pretty sure works with a remote flash.

sapper
2nd March 2010, 02:36 PM
While looking up lenses in another post in the forum, I got sidetracked into looking up a ring flash on Ebay.

Found this and wonder if anyone can comment - either user or not.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Macro-Flash-Ring-For-Olympus-Sony-Pentax-Minolta-Metz_W0QQitemZ350214170187QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca merasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraFlashUnits_JN?h ash=item518a64264b

If it works, seems like a cool solution for Macro.

I got one today and am pleased with initial results. Here are a couple of shots, virtualy straight out of camera.http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/mugnspoon.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/21771)
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/carnation2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/21770)