PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Conditions

MartinF
26th October 2009, 09:34 PM
Late this coming winter, I'm planning to go to the arctic (Norway/Finland) on a bird photography trip. I haven't been since going digital and wonder if anyone has any experience of the affects of sub-zero temperatures on E-series cameras - I've got an E-300, but I'm tempted to upgrade to a E-620. I wondered about going to an E-3 for its weather proofing, but size, weight (and cost) put me off. Freezing mechanisms and short battery life worry me - any comments, please.

EH1
27th October 2009, 01:48 PM
First of all wecome to the forum! I think your main problem is going to be the effect of the temperature on the batteries! But obviously if the weather is bad you may also need an E-3 for it`s weather protection! ;)

peak4
27th October 2009, 06:10 PM
Hi, Hope you have a good trip, It's somewhere I've always wanted to go. I can't really comment on your query as I've not been out below about -5 or so. No problems with the E-1 or 3 there though.

Check out This Guy's Photos (http://www.pbase.com/eaaseth) some pretty stunning stuff there taken with the E-3, when it looks fairly chilly. Might be worth dropping him an e-mail.

MartinF
27th October 2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks for these suggestions - it was just how much the batteries might be affected that I was wondering about. The trip is aimed at birds and nature, plus landscape and if I can get anything like as good as the 'This Guy's Photos' results I'll be more than happy.

Nick Temple-Fry
28th October 2009, 12:35 AM
The one thing that would worry me is change in temperature and relative humidity.

If you are not going to be accommodated in an igloo then I'd be careful about opening up the camera until it's had at least a couple of hours to aclimatize.

Nick

DerekW
28th October 2009, 10:12 AM
This article might increase your confidence, some of the pictures appeared in the UK newspapers
http://markhumpage.blogspot.com/2008/02/northern-lights-arctic-expedition.html

snaarman
28th October 2009, 10:26 AM
The one thing that would worry me is change in temperature and relative humidity.

If you are not going to be accommodated in an igloo then I'd be careful about opening up the camera until it's had at least a couple of hours to aclimatize.

Nick

Isn't there some old wisdom about putting the camera into a sealable plastic bag while you are in the cold dry place before you take it into the warm damp place - thus the condensation happens on the outside of the bag not the camera.. The gear may take longer to warm up this way but it will stay dry

I guess if you wanted to peek the images and couldn't wait, then you take the card out first and put that in a bag in your pocket for a few minutes...

Pete

peak4
28th October 2009, 07:21 PM
Isn't there some old wisdom about putting the camera into a sealable plastic bag while you are in the cold dry place before you take it into the warm damp place - thus the condensation happens on the outside of the bag not the camera.. The gear may take longer to warm up this way but it will stay dry

I guess if you wanted to peek the images and couldn't wait, then you take the card out first and put that in a bag in your pocket for a few minutes...

Pete

Dry Bags Like These (http://www.cave-crag.co.uk/1733/Exped-Dry-Bags.html?referrer=froogle&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid1733) work quite well instead of Poly bags. Harder to puncture and you can get different sizes, one for each lens. Several different makers out there, TrekMates is another one.
When I've been out in the wet or cold I tend to use them and put a big bag of silica gel in each one too.
I also used one with my little Ricoh Gx200 in when we were in the desert in Syria/Jordon earlier in the year. It did a really good job of keeping the sand and dust out of the works. I actually used a silica gel bag there as well since my hands were getting quite sweaty with the heat.

Jonesgj
29th October 2009, 07:25 PM
Martin,

Found this on you tube. An E-3 left out in snow and rain for 10+ hours.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A15MgHHS_M8"

Regards

Graydon

MartinF
29th October 2009, 11:15 PM
Found this on you tube. An E-3 left out in snow and rain for 10+ hours.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A15MgHHS_M8"

Thanks for the link - I wouldn't really want to do that to any camera, not even my 'weatherproof' mju1030SW, but it really says something for the E3. Maybe I could get tempted, despite the cost and size disadvantages (but don't tell my wife).

Martin

MartinF
1st April 2010, 11:09 PM
Well, I've been and come back! In the interim, I bought an E-3 body, but took the E-300 as a back-up, mostly using the 11-22 on the E-300 and the 70-300 on the E-3. Both performed faultlessly, except for one time when the E-3's busy light wouldn't stop flashing after a long sequence of shots.

Everyone else on the trip had Canikons of one sort or another, mostly with very heavy (and expensive) lenses - by the end of the week, several (suffering from strained arms and shoulders from hand-holding) were beginning to wish they'd used 4/3! Compared with the others, when photographing birds in flight, the E-3 focus seemed slow and to hunt while the predictive focussing on the opposition seemed better, but, on a value for money basis, I'm happy and the results seem up to standard - I'll try and post some in the next week or so.

Super trip - max temperature -2, down to about -18 at times, but didn't feel as bad as in the midlands today!

Radar
2nd April 2010, 01:02 PM
I'm from Norway and I've used my E-600 down to -21 degrees during wintertime. The air in Norway is much dryer than the UK climate that moist is something you shouldn't worry about. If you go during the winter I'd be more worried about getting properly dressed and keep your batteries alive.

MartinF
2nd April 2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks - our trip got to the far north of Norway (Batsfjord) and what you said was very true, the dry air was far less unpleasant than the cold, damp conditions at home and, well dressed, I had no problems at all. Only once did I get a low battery warning and I always had a spare ready to hand. In arctic Finland, we were surprised to see -14C on a thermometer one morning - it really didn't seem that cold.

Radar
2nd April 2010, 06:09 PM
Båtsfjord is only a short drive from where I grew up. I hope you enjoyed it and I'd love to see some photos from there. Haven't been there since 2003. Where in Finland did you go?

MartinF
2nd April 2010, 10:16 PM
The trip was organised by Hugh Harrop of Shetland Wildlife, along with Finnature (both with websites worth looking at); in Finland we stayed in Kaamanen, north of Ivalo, which has a feeding station for Pine Grosbeak, Siberian Jay, Siberian Tits etc., then drove to Batsfjord for a couple of days, then to Vardo for another couple of nights and back to Kaamanen. Super trip, well organised - I came back with over 3000 pictures which need sorting/deleting, but I'll try and post a few very soon.