PDA

View Full Version : Different raw converters

crimbo
23rd October 2009, 04:51 PM
Okay, this is quick and dirty but what i did was put an image in to 3 different raw processors and used their automatic features...obviously all of them would produce a better image with more work ...
the Camera is an E400 at ISO 800

ACR 3.6 into CS2
http://www.paddle.shetland.co.uk/PA230213_0002_Background.jpg

Olympus Master
http://www.paddle.shetland.co.uk/PA230213_0001_Layer%201.jpg

Capture One 4.8.3
http://www.paddle.shetland.co.uk/PA230213_0000_Layer%202.jpg

StephenL
23rd October 2009, 05:37 PM
An interesting experiment. Many moons ago I favoured C1, but ditched it when I discovered that it would not retain or pass on keywords which I had put into the Raw files on import. I am appalled at just how much noise Oly Master is producing - no wonder Olympus gained a bad reputation for noise! I'd like to see the same experiment with the latest version of ACR as used in PS CS4 and Lightroom.

Ian
23rd October 2009, 05:49 PM
An interesting experiment. Many moons ago I favoured C1, but ditched it when I discovered that it would not retain or pass on keywords which I had put into the Raw files on import. I am appalled at just how much noise Oly Master is producing - no wonder Olympus gained a bad reputation for noise! I'd like to see the same experiment with the latest version of ACR as used in PS CS4 and Lightroom.

Noise, re Master; rather depends on whether or not the Noise filter setting has been set to an appropriate level.

From what I can see here, Master has done the best job.

Ian

Ian
23rd October 2009, 05:51 PM
Noise, re Master; rather depends on whether or not the Noise filter setting has been set to an appropriate level.

From what I can see here, Master has done the best job.

Ian

OK, I was looking via a PC with a CRT monitor. On the LCD I can see some bad noise in the Master version. But I do ask if the noise filter had been set, and which version of Master is being used here?

Ian

crimbo
23rd October 2009, 06:04 PM
OK, I was looking via a PC with a CRT monitor. On the LCD I can see some bad noise in the Master version. But I do ask if the noise filter had been set, and which version of Master is being used here?

Ian

Oly Master 2.2
Noise filter On
remember it is an E400 and Oly master does not apply later noise filter options...wish it did!...

OlyPaul
23rd October 2009, 09:04 PM
An interesting experiment. Many moons ago I favoured C1, but ditched it when I discovered that it would not retain or pass on keywords which I had put into the Raw files on import..

Stephen I have Capture One 4 and it does now retain keywords and all IPTC data added in LR2 in the Dng file and in ORF files when added as a XMP sidecar file. LR2 rarely gets use for my EAW conversions now.:)

StephenL
24th October 2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks - I'll give it another try. *chr

Stephen I have Capture One 4 and it does now retain keywords and all IPTC data added in LR2 in the Dng file and in ORF files when added as a XMP sidecar file. LR2 rarely gets use for my EAW conversions now.:)