PDA

View Full Version : Autofocus - Out of focus (NEW THREAD)

ringneck
22nd October 2009, 10:21 AM
THIS IS A NEW THREAD AS SOMEONE IN THE LAST ONE SUGGESTED STARTING A NEW ONE....

I have just read through the thread......Autofocus- Out of focus from Trausti Hraunfjord ......and am ASTONISHED that no-one has chipped in that this problem is one that crops up SO often.
I have asked a similar one myself in the past and all the usual answers crop up i.e. clean the contacts...did you press the release button when putting the lens on ...etc ...etc...

In one answer I can remember someone saying that OLYMPUS are aware of the problem.Does anyone know if this is correct ?

I only detected the problem after I purchased SIGMA lenses.....I got the 105 and it seemed O.K.(as far as my old persons memory recalls) but it was shortly after getting the 135-400 that it started happening and then it moved on to the 105 as well.
I have asked SIGMA about it and they say they will take a look at them on the warranty but with the dodgy post at the moment i have not taken them up on it.I might see if I came take them there myself.

The problem I have is all of a sudden when I try and auto focus it will not detect the subject and back focuses and the only way to reactivate it is to turn OFF then back ON again but at times this turns into a cycle which did not go down well with Canon/Nikon users in the same hide.The only other (quiet) way is to turn to manual on the lenses and then hand focus to near the point and it will auto focus again after switching back to auto.

If it IS the camera (I have had it happen on the 500 and 510) and not the SIGMA lenses I feel OLYMPUS should put a bit of effeort into sorting it rather than issueing endless updated features in new cameras all the time....ART filters are O.K. but a basic working function would be much better.

Keith *chr

Ian
22nd October 2009, 10:38 AM
I have a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 here at the moment and it works normally with all the bodies I have, from the E-1 to the E-30, including E-500, E-620, E-3, and E-450.

I don't have any other Sigma lenses at the moment.

The only time I have experienced focus problems like you describe, has been in very dark, low contrast, conditions, way out of the normal operating zone of the AF system.

With the lenses you have mentioned, brightness is a serious issue unless you have normal lighting conditions with good contrast, especially at full tele zoom.

Ian

Nick Temple-Fry
22nd October 2009, 11:01 AM
I have the Sigma 135-400 and the 150mm. Neither have a problem with focus on my E-3.

So I do not believe there is any systemmic problem either with Olympus focussing or with those lenses. Though the 500 and 510 are (by digital standards) fairly old cameras and their low light performance is less good than later cameras.

A more detailed description of the camera settings and scene/background/light may help the group understand the problem and perhaps give advice.

Nick

ringneck
22nd October 2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks for joining in........

"The only time I have experienced focus problems like you describe, has been in very dark, low contrast, conditions, way out of the normal operating zone of the AF system."

"A more detailed description of the camera settings and scene/background/light may help the group understand the problem and perhaps give advice."

I have not managed to record at what times this has happened.
I would say it would not be down to low light as I had been using the long lens at the height of summer across all the conditions.
Sorry have to dash off to work now.

Keith

tlove
22nd October 2009, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure if this is the same type of problem you are having, but I had a problem a month or two ago with my E-3. Didn't like focusing at all whatever lens/setting I was using on the camera, or lighting conditions.

Mine would either de-focus completely (needing me to switch it off, then back on again - which got really boring after a while when you had to keep doing it repeatedly), or it would de-focus just as I pressed the shutter.

In the end I got so fed up we contacted Olympus, who advised us to send it to them to be looked at, which we did. After a week with them a letter arrived saying that the Autofocus Assembly System (or something like that) needed attention (replaced?).

It was back with me within three weeks of being sent to Olympus (and they sent it to Portugal to be repaired), as a warranty repair, no questions asked. Whether that means they are aware of focusing problems or not I don't know, but they quickly identified what the problem was with mine and got it sorted.

I suggest you give Olympus a try - I couldn't fault their service with the problem I had (and it's great to have a camera that focuses properly again :)). Thanks Olympus *chr

Thea

MarkVarley
22nd October 2009, 05:46 PM
4 years with olympus, e300, e500, e520, various olympus lenses, never had a problem aside from struggling in really low light, when that happens just find something to put the focus point on (an edge, some contrast, any feature) and it grabs it. All cameras have had a hard life in contant daily use.

Ian
22nd October 2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks for joining in........

"The only time I have experienced focus problems like you describe, has been in very dark, low contrast, conditions, way out of the normal operating zone of the AF system."

"A more detailed description of the camera settings and scene/background/light may help the group understand the problem and perhaps give advice."

I have not managed to record at what times this has happened.
I would say it would not be down to low light as I had been using the long lens at the height of summer across all the conditions.
Sorry have to dash off to work now.

Keith

Dust or dirt on the AF sensor could be the culprit.

Ian

sammuel_chan
22nd October 2009, 09:33 PM
ringneck's problem was almost similar to my problem too.

I got to off my camera and on it again. if there's luck, the lens behaves almost alright after i turn on n off 1 time. why i said almost is because, perhaps 8 out of 10 has got pin point focus.

I'm not from UK orginally, but i am currently in UK now. In wales actually, i did bring along my international warranty card, but how do i send my lens for diagnose? I'm in a small town call aberystwyth