PDA

View Full Version : I've somehow turned off the lcd

Moneypenny2k
13th October 2009, 10:19 PM
and can't figure out how to get it back for anything apart from playback and info/menu functions. I can't find how in the manual either...:confused:

gregles
13th October 2009, 10:30 PM
What was it doing before ?

blu-by-u
14th October 2009, 02:55 AM
If it's the E-systems, press the INOF button. that should be next to the Menu button.

Moneypenny2k
14th October 2009, 05:22 AM
What was it doing before ? It was showing what was seen through the viewfinder. It's not the end of the world as even when I had a compact I used the viewfinder to line up my shots. I grew up in the film era lol. However, it might be useful one day to use the lcd to frame the shot rather than the viewfinder.

Moneypenny2k
14th October 2009, 05:24 AM
If it's the E-systems, press the INOF button. that should be next to the Menu button.

Thanks blu-by-u but I can get the info and playback working. It's just that I can't see what the camera can see when it's switched on. I hope that is making sense.:confused:

peak4
14th October 2009, 06:08 AM
Hi, what you are looking for in the manual is "liveview" there is a little button on the back of the camera with what looks like a TV screen with a vertical bar either side, or a bit like "l0l" with pincushion shaped 0.

The location depends on the model, but I notice that you've posted the query in the E-500 board.
The only way to get it to work on that is a visit to the camera shop to buy a later camera as the E-500 never had the facility.:rolleyes:

Good luck, Hope you get it sorted, If not post a reply and someone will certainly help; this is a friendly place to hang out.:)

theMusicMan
14th October 2009, 07:17 AM
I can't tell what camera you have as there's no EXIF data available in your shots. I assume it's an e-series camera with LiveView as you wouldn't have asked otherwise.

Depending on which model you have, you'll notice a button on the rear, as Bill states, that looks like the outline of a TV... this is the 'LiveView' button, and will pop up the mirror inside the camera and feed the image through to the viewfinder allowing you to 'see' what the lens is seeing (especially good for macro shots by the way).

Do shout if you're still stuck...

ndl0071
14th October 2009, 01:14 PM
Not sure how you are getting on with this but just in case you still need help...I 'lost' the live view on my E410 recently nothing I did seemed to bring it back to life until........I hit the reset to factory default settings button, all is now well, no idea what the problem was but it's now gone away.

hope this helps:)

Moneypenny2k
14th October 2009, 05:04 PM
Not sure how you are getting on with this but just in case you still need help...I 'lost' the live view on my E410 recently nothing I did seemed to bring it back to life until........I hit the reset to factory default settings button, all is now well, no idea what the problem was but it's now gone away.

hope this helps:)

Thanks to everyone, I appreciate the help, it's an E500 that I have, left it at work today but I'll have a play around with the suggestions tomorrow. Thanks all

BTW - this reminds me of the microsoft software engineers out for a trip in their car and their car goes wrong... So they switch off the engine, open the doors and windows, leave it for a while, then start it up again... Well made me laugh:D

EH1
14th October 2009, 05:32 PM
But an E-500 does`nt have live view! :confused:

Westy
14th October 2009, 06:17 PM
I think we are missing the obvious here. You said you were new to DSLR as your last camera was a compact. A DSLR does not operate like a compact were what we call live view is how most people would view images about to be captured( ie looking at the LCD).. With an DSLR you look through the view finder to compose your shot not through the LCD, Unless your camera is equiped with Live view which your E500 is not.The LCD is only for reviewing shots that you have taken. Your camera is not broken. Hope this puts your mind at rest, and that I have explained It clearly enough.

Moneypenny2k
14th October 2009, 06:34 PM
I think the person who I bought it from must have played around with the settings and somehow got it to show live view. It honestly had it and now it doesn't. I don't mind too much as I've always used a viewfinder, even when I had my compact. It's just bugging me

Ellie
14th October 2009, 07:53 PM
Maybe somebody can explain how to upload a picture without stripping out the EXIF data, it might help a bit.

If the previous owner managed to do something to an E500 to get live view I think we'd all be interested to know what they did. Any way you can ask them? :)

Andrzej Wrotniak's has a very detailed piece about using the E-500
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e500-using.html

There's other information on Biofos, but I don't think the E500 is covered in detail there.
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/ebodies.html

Moneypenny2k
15th October 2009, 05:23 AM
Useful links Ellie thanks

EH1
15th October 2009, 11:43 AM
I am sure I have heard of a NiK*n D50 being converted, so that it had live view, but I could be talking a load of ********! :D

Ellie
16th October 2009, 09:00 PM
Have you managed to fix it?

Moneypenny2k
16th October 2009, 10:33 PM
Nope it's gone to the camera shop, not only can't I get the lcd back but the focus isn't right. 9 times out of 10 when I connect the lens the focus doesn't work. I took the camera in fully thinking it was going to be one of those situations where they push a button and say no, you've got it wrong you're meant to do this. However, the guy in the camera shop couldn't get it to work either so I'm not a happy bunny, wanted to be out capturing all the beautiful autumn colours this weekend... C'est la vie.

Wreckdiver
17th October 2009, 08:39 AM
..... not only can't I get the lcd back but the focus isn't right. 9 times out of 10 when I connect the lens the focus doesn't work.

I don't understand your LCD problem. As already stated, this camera never had liveview, the only way to compose a shot is through the viewfinder.

Re: the focus problem, have you checked the lens and camera body contacts? Use a pencil eraser to clean them. Have you tried a different lens?

Steve

Ellie
17th October 2009, 09:10 PM
Nope it's gone to the camera shop
To be honest, if I bought a camera from somebody and it didn't work properly I'd expect them to fix it. :o

Jim Ford
17th October 2009, 09:31 PM
I don't understand your LCD problem. As already stated, this camera never had liveview, the only way to compose a shot is through the viewfinder.

I agree - the E-500 never had any form of 'live-view' and there is no way whatsoever it could be implemented!

I think the O.P. has got confused somewhere.

Jim

Zuiko
17th October 2009, 10:04 PM
Although the E500 never had Live View it did have a "Test Picture Without Saving" mode (a sort of an image preview) which could be assigned to the one touch white balance button via the custom menu. This is NOT Live View, but it may be what Moneypenny was seeing. It's the only explanation I can think of. :confused:

Moneypenny2k
18th October 2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the help people.

As I've said in other posts, I'm really new to dSLR so maybe I have got it wrong.

What Zuiko says makes sense as the live view I was seeing disappeared when I was playing with settings. That's made me feel better lol

As for getting the vendor to fix it. I'd already said that I was happy with the camera, it worked fine the first time I put it together. This is one of those intermittent problems. I'll wait to hear what the camera shop says is wrong before I go back to the vendor.

Jim Ford
18th October 2009, 04:25 PM
The lens failing to communicate with the camera body is a not uncommon problem with the E-500. It's recommended that the lens release button is _not_ pressed when refitting the lens.

Be aware that the camera shop may have very (or non-existent) experience with Olympus cameras, and may just effectively shrug and say it's broken and a matter for the manufacturers!

Jim

Moneypenny2k
19th October 2009, 03:14 PM
The lens failing to communicate with the camera body is a not uncommon problem with the E-500. It's recommended that the lens release button is _not_ pressed when refitting the lens.

Be aware that the camera shop may have very (or non-existent) experience with Olympus cameras, and may just effectively shrug and say it's broken and a matter for the manufacturers!

Jim

Yes I'm aware of this and have been very careful not to press the lens release button when putting the lens on. Fingers crossed the camera shop can find what's wrong

Moneypenny2k
22nd October 2009, 03:54 PM
Had feedback from the camera shop. They are saying that it is the connectors that are at fault and that they think at some point something has been spilt on the camera. What say the wise owls out there? Is it worth 96 to fix?

theMusicMan
22nd October 2009, 04:07 PM
Had feedback from the camera shop. They are saying that it is the connectors that are at fault and that they think at some point something has been spilt on the camera. What say the wise owls out there? Is it worth 96 to fix?
Though I don't know the E-500, I'd actually say no this isn't worth it - there's an E-510 body only going on here for just 100. Personally, I'd put the money towards a replacement / upgrade.

EH1
22nd October 2009, 04:10 PM

NO! It`s not worth it!

Moneypenny2k
22nd October 2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sadly the body has gone already but thanks for telling me.

theMusicMan
22nd October 2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sadly the body has gone already but thanks for telling me.
Keep an eye out on here and on FTU, as they do come up for sale regularly.

Also, you might like to make a post in the wanted section asking if someone has one for sale...?

Zuiko
22nd October 2009, 09:30 PM
I definitely wouldn't pay for the repair. If it is just the preview facility that's failed (and it sounds like it is) it's no great loss. I never used it on mine and wouldn't miss it. If everything else is working O.K. use the camera, it'll still give you gret pictures!

Moneypenny2k
23rd October 2009, 04:33 PM
The good news is the vendor has offered to pay for the repair rather than give me a refund so all is well in the world. I should have my camera back next week in time to go out and do a few shots before I go back to school.

Many thanks for the sterling advice received.

Moneypenny2k
29th October 2009, 05:43 PM
Camera came home to mummy today and is working as well as my limited experience will let it.

Just thought I'd pop on and say thanks to everyone for all their help and advice.