PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to photography

Moneypenny2k
11th October 2009, 06:16 PM
So decided to buy myself a second hand dslr to play around with whilst I learn the ropes. Guess what? I think I've managed to break the lens... It won't focus any more.

Oh well trip to the camera shop tomorrow :(

Somebody make me feel better please

Oh so you can see just how much of a newbie I am...

EH1
11th October 2009, 06:31 PM
Welcome Moneypenny2k! You will find all the advice & help you need on this forum. Unfortunately the picture you have posted has not shown up, I don`t know why? What lens is it giving you problems?

Nick Temple-Fry
11th October 2009, 06:35 PM
Maybe because Facebook prompts for a login.

It's quite hard to break a lens (though they can develop faults), maybe it's something simple (like an m/f switch or the camera setting)

Nick

Moneypenny2k
11th October 2009, 06:38 PM
That's cos I'm a bit of a dingbat at the mo EH 1. I've got the pic uploaded now. It's the standard lens that is sold with the Evolt e500 it says Olympus digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6 Though to be frank I've got no idea yet what all that means...

EH1
11th October 2009, 06:38 PM
We can see your picture now! *chr

Moneypenny2k
11th October 2009, 06:39 PM
[QUOTE]It's quite hard to break a lens (though they can develop faults), maybe it's something simple (like an m/f switch or the camera setting)/QUOTE]

I've tried taking the battery out for 24 hours to reset it to factory settings... I've also ensured it's on autofocus

dbutch
11th October 2009, 08:59 PM
Hi moneypenny

One item that can cause a problem on the Olympus lens is the communication between the lens and camera. Sometimes the pins on the body just need a gentle clean with a soft cloth, push the pins in slightly. The other thing to be carfull of is don't press the lens relaese button when you put the lens on as this can cause a com problem as well

Cheers

Dave

Moneypenny2k
11th October 2009, 09:18 PM
Dbutch you're a superstar, you've really cheered me up. I dusted the connectors between the lens and the body and it's working again now.
*chr Wish it could be a real pint

dbutch
11th October 2009, 09:45 PM
Glad to help

Dave

Bern
12th October 2009, 08:53 PM
Welcome Moneypenny, we have all been there :) I am still learning and it can be quite scary at times *yes Have fun with your new cam, enjoy :)

Bern

Ellie
13th October 2009, 01:06 PM
Welcome to the site Moneypenny2k :)

The other thing to be careful of is don't press the lens release button when you put the lens on ...

Errm, yes. I remember doing that, it caused quite a panic :o

Moneypenny2k
13th October 2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Seems like a friendly place. Anyone in London?

photo_owl
13th October 2009, 09:23 PM
often in Covent Garden (office/drinking hours) but then again London is a large place.............

Moneypenny2k
13th October 2009, 09:30 PM
LOL yes it is, I'm based in east London, blissfully near the Woolwich ferry and Canary Wharf. Yes I'm obsessed with water, sunsets and concrete

ringneck
13th October 2009, 11:35 PM
LOL yes it is, I'm based in east London, blissfully near the Woolwich ferry and Canary Wharf. Yes I'm obsessed with water, sunsets and concrete

Throw in trees and i'm in heaven...only a Birmingham one.
keith*chr

Moneypenny2k
14th October 2009, 05:25 AM
Throw in trees and i'm in heaven...only a Birmingham one.
keith*chr

Oh yes I'm quite fond of trees too, hence the pic.

theMusicMan
14th October 2009, 07:14 AM
Oh yes I'm quite fond of trees too, hence the pic.
A big belated (from me anyhows) welcome Moneypenny2k... you'll find loads of help around these here parts.

I love trees too, and I'm after that elusive 'solitary tree' shot at the moment - I think I'll be forever looking for this one! :)

jonesy
14th October 2009, 04:19 PM
Very belated welcome to you Moneypenny.

The folks here are friendly and always full of useful advice that they are willing to share.

Hope you enjoy it here as much as I do

Moneypenny2k
14th October 2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks all of you, I'm certainly enjoying the welcome.

As for that elusive solitary tree shot... well do we ever think we'll have 'the one' or will we always be looking for an :p of some kind?

Jonesgj
14th October 2009, 08:55 PM
Hello Moneypenny,

..and welcome. You will find lots of good advice and friendly people here.

I too am looking for that solitary tree shot. In fact I have a tree in mind. I been sizing it up for the best part of two years. May be one day!

Kind regards

Graydon

Moneypenny2k
1st November 2009, 01:51 PM
Can I just ask... Is everyone on here a pro or semi pro? From my lowly perspective I feel really really out of my depth everyone else is just so far ahead of me in terms or knowledge and results. Maybe that's a sign that I've started to really realise how much I don't know.

Nick Temple-Fry
1st November 2009, 02:34 PM
Can I just ask... Is everyone on here a pro or semi pro? From my lowly perspective I feel really really out of my depth everyone else is just so far ahead of me in terms or knowledge and results. Maybe that's a sign that I've started to really realise how much I don't know.

Well that's a good starting point (realising how much you don't know), and most of us are just at our own different levels of ignorance, so don't despair.

On the whole we've just learned a few tricks and how to exploit them.

Given that the shots you've posted so far have good ideas of shape/composition and subject I don't think it will take you long to master camera speed and depth of field. Once those are under your belt then you'll really be flying.

There are a few pro/semi-pro shooters on the board (not that that is necessarily proof of knowledge/ability). Most of us are gloriously unrewarded amateurs just trying to be better.

Nick

Jonesgj
1st November 2009, 02:39 PM
I can only speak for my self, and of my experience on here.

I bought an E-500 around two years ago; had two day courses to point me in the right direction and have been having fun ever since.

I joined this group in Jan 09 and have found everyone here to be very helpful.

I would imagine there are professionals on here but I'm sure everyone, regardless of experience, would probably prefer to be called an enthusiast. I know I do.

Hope this helps

Graydon

Oh yes ... try to get on some 'meets' if you can as they are great for shared learning.

Moneypenny2k
1st November 2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys, especially Nick who has obviously taken the time to look at the pics I have gathered up courage and posted.

I am doing an evening course, beginners photography, at the local college, It's a pretty mixed bunch of people with compacts up to people that have bought really expensive cameras and have no idea how to work them.

I started out with a Fuji E550 which, in my humble estimation, was one of the better compacts but felt that if I wanted to take full advantage of what's on offer I needed a dslr. So I got out my credit card and bought an E500 from Ebay. My thinking was if I'm really rubbish at least I'd not have wasted the better part of 800!!

I found this place when googling info on the camera when it developed a problem. I've only had a few hours to play around with it so far. I'm just suffering from frustration that I can't go to the front of the queue I guess. :rolleyes:

I'd be interested to come to a meet but fairly intimidated. You all, as I said, seem to be so competent and I don't want to be too much of a pest. Apart from anything else there don't seem to be many women on here. Have I stumbled on a mainly male hobby I wonder.

EH1
1st November 2009, 06:01 PM
Firstly, you will never be thought of as a pest! We all enjoy helping others learn on this forum! Secondly, there are very few women on this forum, but I can assure you they know their stuff! ;)

Nick Temple-Fry
1st November 2009, 06:18 PM
I'd be interested to come to a meet but fairly intimidated. You all, as I said, seem to be so competent and I don't want to be too much of a pest. Apart from anything else there don't seem to be many women on here. Have I stumbled on a mainly male hobby I wonder.

Well Thea (TLove) and Ellie have been quite consistent in representing themselves as females, as has at least one of the Jones'es and a Shirley. I've had no reason to doubt their judgement on this.

We've had photo evidence that Ann1e is a girl as well and there are probably others that have 'use' names that give no clue. Other than in the queue for the loo, does it matter?

Mind you participating in (wasting time in ?) forums may be the male equivalent of a can conference.

We just want want to take better photos (and maybe show-off a bit - sorry)

Nick

jonesy
1st November 2009, 07:04 PM
Yes, I can safely say I'm female :)

Moneypenny, I came here a few months ago in a very similar situation to you... and all I can say is in the months I have been here I have learnt so much! (but I still have so much to learn)
My biggest obstacle was that I was still using my camera as I did a film camera, and only taking shots that I thought "worthy" and being scared of experimenting, now, I have a go at most things, and if it doesnt work, I throw the photo in the recycle bin, its cost me nothing, but has taught me something.
Also I was unaware that we are supposed to edit/process the photos that come from our cameras :( but now, with the help and advice given to others and myself here, I have picked up so much knowledge.

Bern
2nd November 2009, 12:23 AM

Everyone starts somewhere, and I feel like a dunce too at times (not here though) when I am with my mate who reads EVERYTHING in sight!! When I look at the shots I first posted on my Flickr until now (3 years down the line) I see where I have improved but I think I can say we are ALL always learning. And the only way I have found to lear is through trial and error, and digital is fantastic for that as there is no waste. So, you are not out of your depth, you are taking steps forward and its great to see another female Oly user too....enjoy :)
PLUS, I think this forum is brill and if I had a problem or would like to know something, I will ask, its how we learn :)

Moneypenny2k
2nd November 2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks, I was really having a bit of a wobble, wondering if I've wasted the couple of hundred quid the equipment cost me... You've all made me feel so much better. Good to know there are some girls on here.

I've just spent this evening at my evening class doing night photography. Great fun, even though I only got a couple of shots that were okish so I guess this is what I need to keep in mind.
Thanks again boys and girls.:)*chr

Turbo Weasel
2nd November 2009, 11:15 PM

Hi from another in the same boat as you!. I have had my E520 about 6 months and feel I have so much to learn. The thing I like about digital is that you can take as many shots as you like - and ditch the ones that don't work. I used to have an Olympus OM-1, when every shot had to work.

You are not alone in feeling out of your depth. My advice - just keep trying and getting to know the camera better. Good luck *chr

Ellie
2nd November 2009, 11:55 PM
*laugh I'm certainly neither pro nor semi-pro, but I've been around here for ages and have made loads of posts, so it looks as if I know a lot - which can be a very bad thing.

But if you look around you'll see that even the very best people here can still learn something, I don't think learning about taking pictures ever stops - and everybody starts off at zero too.

There's one on Saturday 14th (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6820) - all it is is a walk with a camera in pleasant surroundings. If you come along you'll get the chance to look at other people's gear and see what they do with it too.

Nobody is going to bite, and any ponies you might see will behave properly too - as long as you don't try to give them an apple!

Moneypenny2k
5th November 2009, 11:58 PM
Sadly won't be able to make 14th. I'm in London and in between working full time and being a grandma of two, the chance of getting the time and energy for a full day out is about as likely as Gordon Brown recalling the troops from Afghanistan and telling us all that he's cocked up.

Here's hoping for a London or nearby meet.