PDA

View Full Version : 12 to 60 lens not allowing exposure at WA

DerekW
11th October 2009, 04:21 PM
The 12 to 60 lens when set to 12 to 14 mm aprox will not focus at distances greater than about 3 metre - the camera will focus correctly with the 7 to 14mm lens so it looks as if it is a lens related issue.

I think that I will need to send the camera and lens to Olympus for a general service (the camera has some sand noise in the rear thumb wheel).

Typically how long is a service taking at the moment? - my previous experience was that the service took longer than a month and required a letter to the boss of Oly Europe to get the job completed.

EH1
11th October 2009, 04:28 PM
I think you should be looking at a 4 week turn around! :)

Rod Souter
11th October 2009, 05:25 PM
They received my wobbly 50-200 on 18 Sept, I got it back on the 9 Oct:):):)

Rod

Wreckdiver
11th October 2009, 06:43 PM
My 12-60mm recently went back under warranty. It took around a month also.

Steve

DerekC
11th October 2009, 07:06 PM
I sent my 12-60 back on 27th Sept received 29th because it was failing to auto focus, just buzzing.
The lens arrived back last Thursday 8th. Now I think that is a quick service.
I did ask how long repairs were taking and was told about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks.

dbutch
11th October 2009, 09:49 PM
Hi Derek

I've already suggested to one member tonight to clean the lens camera contacts which worked out so why not give it a go whilst I'm on a roll:)

Dave

DerekW
12th October 2009, 06:58 PM
The time delay is what I feared - hardly acceptable for a so called premium product. No doubt the US service centre would get it turned round in less than a week.

I have done the pin clean so I think that the problem is in the lens body.

Ian - cannot you get Oly to liven up their service turn around times and actually provide a decent service turn around time

Ian
12th October 2009, 07:17 PM
Surely, the turnaround time would depend on the work involved and availability of parts.

If the lens was quite new, I would try asking for a replacement.

Ian

DerekW
12th October 2009, 11:31 PM
I would expect most repairs would involve a full strip down, re assemble and calibration regardless of the fault or problem.. The issue is how long does the camera sit on a shelf waiting for work to be done on it. Given that one reads of 4 day turn rounds in the US service centres why cannot the European operation achieve a similar turnround time.

DerekW
7th November 2009, 04:08 PM
Camera shipped on the 28th October, returned today - Thankyou Olympus I much appreciate the turnround time and also the online status web site.

The lens had a new motor and the E3 had a new electronic view finder (I also reported the tilting image issue).

I have now set up the menu settings drawing on my spreadsheet from before the last firmware update, PeterD's write up on taking pictures of flying birds, Ian's blog entry on the Graduation setting and the Wrotniak E3 article. And also fitted the Optech strap.

So a group effort.

EH1
7th November 2009, 04:42 PM
Olympus do seem to be turning around repairs very quickly now! Fantastic news! *chr