PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Suggestions re Settings

Barr1e
9th October 2009, 07:38 AM
The other evening in windy conditions coupled with rain (I have cloned the spots out) I took several shots with different settings i.e. time (5 to 45 seconds) - f number and iso all in bulb mode. The shots all reaped a white clock face on the tower.
How can one achieve a similar image with the face intact please?

Houses of Parliament.
http://www.fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/500/H_of_P_night_shot_ft-u.jpg (http://www.fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showphoto.php?photo=14007)
Bulb setting - 7 secs - iso200 - FL 17mm

Regards. Barr1e

Also posted on a sister site

PaulE
9th October 2009, 08:05 AM
The other evening in windy conditions coupled with rain (I have cloned the spots out) I took several shots with different settings i.e. time (5 to 45 seconds) - f number and iso all in bulb mode. The shots all reaped a white clock face on the tower.

Houses of Parliament.
http://www.fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/500/H_of_P_night_shot_ft-u.jpg
Bulb setting - 7 secs - iso200 - FL 17mm

Regards. Barr1e

Also posted on a sister site

I'm not sure any particular settings will give you what youre looking for, to me that scene looks like it simply exceeds the dynamic range of the E3 and as such one photo might not be enough to capture all the detail. You could try using spot-Hi metering aimed at the clock face to try and stop it blowing but given the scene I think the rest of it will likely be too dark with just the streetlights and clock face shining through. If it was me I'd be looking to make two exposures one for just the clock face as above and then one exposure as per your example photo then blend (via a very simple layer mask) the two in PS or GIMP to get what you're after. Or alternatively you could take a load of bracketed shots to generate and tonemap a HDR image.

Perhaps some of the more experienced photographers here will have some other suggestions...

Ellie
9th October 2009, 12:33 PM
Haven't a clue really, but I know that if you take pictures of the moon you have to treat it as a very bright object, so maybe take a reading from the clock face and then move the camera to where you want to frame the picture?

A cheat would take a separate image of the clock face and edit it in!

Barr1e
9th October 2009, 05:24 PM
Hi Paul and Ellie -

Having read up on the subject and experimenting before our trip and knowing the two images I wanted most I was somewhat disappointed with the results.
I think in the last few months my pping skills have improved from say, 5 to 14 out of 100 when using Photoshop. I have a long way to go. I shall now experiment at using layers more to blend an image to another - should be fun. :eek:

Thanks for responding.

If another has something to add it could prove useful to many including me.:D

Regards. Barr1e

Wreckdiver
9th October 2009, 05:44 PM
PaulE summed it up well. The dynamic range of the scene is too great for the camera's sensor. If you want the clock face to be correctly exposed then you have to spot meter off it, the rest of the scene will then be underexposed.

The only way to show detail in clock face and the shadows is create an HDR image from multiple exposures.

Steve

PaulE
9th October 2009, 06:13 PM
Hi Paul and Ellie -

Having read up on the subject and experimenting before our trip and knowing the two images I wanted most I was somewhat disappointed with the results.
I think in the last few months my pping skills have improved from say, 5 to 14 out of 100 when using Photoshop. I have a long way to go. I shall now experiment at using layers more to blend an image to another - should be fun. :eek:

Thanks for responding.

If another has something to add it could prove useful to many including me.:D

Regards. Barr1e

I wouldn't be that dissapointed with the photo myself, I thought it was actually pretty good :). If you want to practice your PP skills I would certainly have a go at rescuing the photo you have above by borrowing a well exposed Big Ben clockface from an existing night photograph. Being as it is a very common photograph to take there must be plenty of suitable donors out there which are published under creative commons licenses. A bit of reading up and playing in PS and I think you could end up with a photo that would do until you next get to visit the capital to re-take the shot/s.

Barr1e
9th October 2009, 08:00 PM
Steve and Paul - thanks.
I know there is more to pushing the button.
I had hoped, but I see there is no easy way round the problem. I shall enjoy another trip to London, only hope I choose the right day weather wise. *yes

Regards. Barr1e