PDA

View Full Version : Raw Therapee

davidsa
30th September 2009, 03:53 PM
I put this on the "Photo Fair" subForum - better here

What version of RawTherapee are people using?

The lastest version crashes on trying to open an *.orf file or even a directory containing one. The website suggests using an earlier incarnation but that doesn't work for me either. Apparently one can also replace one of the files in the newer package with its ancestor in an earlier version - does that work?

Thanks

David

Nick Temple-Fry
30th September 2009, 04:38 PM
V2.4 beta 4

No problems (far more stable than Master which likes to evapourate unexpectedly)

Nick

CaptainD
30th September 2009, 06:11 PM
Dear David,

How strange that you posted this thread about RawTherapee today. I have never used the program before and or some reason I downloaded it today to give it a try. My first impressions of version 2.4.1 are not good as just like you report it crashes every time I open a folder with a .orf files in it.

I guess I ought to uninstall 2.4.1 and try a previous version, perhaps any forum members that do use it successfully might like to comment on which version to try and any tips and tricks for processing Olympus RAW files.

Cheers

Chris *chr

Pete Riley
30th September 2009, 07:07 PM
I have been using Raw Therapee for a couple of years now. Installed 2.4.1 a little while ago and so far have had no problems.My O/S is vista Enterprise.

davidsa
30th September 2009, 07:21 PM
Yes, Pete, I think there is something on the RT forum about the latest version working with Vista, the problem being with XP. Must be about the only situation when Vista offers an advantage!

What O/S's are people using? I'm sticking with XP at least until Windows 7 arrives!

David

Nick Temple-Fry
30th September 2009, 07:50 PM
Yes, Pete, I think there is something on the RT forum about the latest version working with Vista, the problem being with XP. Must be about the only situation when Vista offers an advantage!

What O/S's are people using? I'm sticking with XP at least until Windows 7 arrives!

David

XP.

Nick

Jim Ford
30th September 2009, 09:43 PM
I tried Rawtherapee on my XP box, but it was glacially slow - so it went into the bit-bucket!

Jim

CaptainD
1st October 2009, 08:56 AM
I too am using Windows XP, I have yet to try an earlier version of RT to see if it is usable. I had a look at the RT support forum this morning and this problem is well documented so I would hope that a fix will be released soon. You can find the forum here :

http://www.rawtherapee.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=d9225bb300ce2c04f26ef6a457eff70f

Cheers

Chris *chr

Nick Temple-Fry
1st October 2009, 09:44 AM
Rawtherapee 2.4 beta 4 works fine on XP sp3, I've used it several times over the last few days - last time ten minutes ago.

As to RawTherapee being slow - well it is a bit slow to load all the thumbnails (maybe that is what they tried to address) in a folder. But as I load it by clicking on a specific file and opening with RT it isn't much of a problem - you don't need to wait for all the thumbnails to be written to start work.

The actual conversion (in 2.4) is no slower than say Master - and you have the option (which I don't tend to use) of running the conversions as a batch queue.

Nick