PDA

View Full Version : swithering over now the worrying

ardvorlich
30th September 2009, 03:29 PM
After weeks of swithering between e-620 & e-30 to replace my 410 finally pulled the trigger and went for 620 now i've got two days worrying if i've done the right thing. Iain

mike_j
30th September 2009, 04:01 PM
They are both cracking good cameras. You have gone for the smaller, lighter and more portable version. I'm sure you will love it.

ardvorlich
30th September 2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks i'm sure i will it was only the differance of af points and synch speed that was holding me back. Iain

StephenL
30th September 2009, 04:09 PM
The E-620 is a good camera. I'm using mine more than my E-3!

EH1
30th September 2009, 04:21 PM
I think you have made the obvious choice, & lets face it, I don`t think either camera would dissapoint you! ;)

ardvorlich
30th September 2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks all Im sure your'e right it's just the normal buyers remorse.Stephen using more than e-3 ?
Iain

Jonesgj
30th September 2009, 06:21 PM
I tried both.

I liked the E-30, nothing worng with it, but went for the lighter, smaller E-620 Went through 24hours of similar worrying but I needn't have - its a cracking camera.

Graydon

StephenL
30th September 2009, 06:59 PM
For sure, a lot of it is because it's a new thing. But also I feel it gets more out of the Pro and Top Pro lenses.

Stephen using more than e-3 ?
Iain

Ellie
30th September 2009, 08:51 PM
I'm watching posts like this with interest, because I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my camera in the next few months, if there's ever enough money to do it.

Has anybody chosen the E30 rather than the E620?

Jonesgj
1st October 2009, 05:31 AM
Hi Ellie, Yes there is a recent post which went the opposite way to this. I believe the reasons were because of the extra functionality and size. I think the latter was the main reason: big hands.

I'm trying to remember what the additional funtionality there is besides the increased AF points and extra scenes ...

Best to have a play with both, because for me it boiled down to how it 'felt' to carry and use.

Graydon

Batman
1st October 2009, 07:15 AM
Hi Ellie.

I went for an E-30, partly because of the battery compatibility with my E-520, and partly because it felt so very good to handle. I admit though, that this does contradict my original reason for opting for Olympus, which was largely to keep kit weight down. For anyone wanting to use longer or faster lenses, I suspect that the compactness of the lighter bodies is of relatively less value anyway. I'm very pleased with the E-30 although still (hopefully) working towards getting the best out of it.

Jonesgj
1st October 2009, 06:51 PM
I tried the E-620 and with 70-300 and 50-200 and was totally surprised. It seemed really well balanced.

I also liked that I can get to all the most commonly used functions with my right thumb with little effort.

I had an opportunity to try some even bigger lenses at a recent meet but didn't ... maybe next time.

So advice isnt rush and buy the E-620, but try both if you can.

blu-by-u
2nd October 2009, 02:54 AM
Mechanical difference is the Shutter and IS. The E-30 uses a SWD motor and is 1 stop more than the E-620. THe shutter is also different 5fps. 1 more than the 620. BLS for batteries instead of the BLM and not as lasting (IE no of shots per charge) So on a full day event, you may need to carry 4 instead of 3.

There is more like shutter life and other stuff.

jonsey
2nd October 2009, 05:10 PM
I'm watching posts like this with interest, because I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my camera in the next few months, if there's ever enough money to do it.

Has anybody chosen the E30 rather than the E620?

hi ellie,

yes i did, i dont think there is an awful lot of difference in functionality or IQ, but as stated, it will probably get more out of the pro lenses maybe?, also there is now the offer of a free gift if you buy the e30 after the 1/10 ;)
pleased with mine.
jeff

photo_owl
2nd October 2009, 06:39 PM
add a more extensive control system and more powerfull processing (AF etc) and that's pretty much it in practice.

don't underestimate these though.

Mechanical difference is the Shutter and IS. The E-30 uses a SWD motor and is 1 stop more than the E-620. THe shutter is also different 5fps. 1 more than the 620. BLS for batteries instead of the BLM and not as lasting (IE no of shots per charge) So on a full day event, you may need to carry 4 instead of 3.

There is more like shutter life and other stuff.

Jonesgj
2nd October 2009, 06:52 PM
Ellie,

Here's Wrotniak's reviews. Probably one of the most respected reviewers. Won't beat trying them but what needs to be said is said here.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e620.html

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e620-rev.html

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e30-rev.html

ardvorlich
3rd October 2009, 06:43 AM
Well my e-620 has arrived.What can I say.No more buyers remorse,goodbye worry.I love the grip and weight the feel,so well made.Construction seems to be a lot better than 410 which was good.Only had a little play last night but I think this is the start of a long love affair.p.s.my other half (hasn't picked up a camera before)has gone funny on me.I mentioned about deciding selling or keeping 410 as back up and Liz has decided that maybe she should start using it as she's with me on outings most of the time c'est la vie .
regards Iain

blu-by-u
3rd October 2009, 09:07 AM
....and Liz has decided that maybe she should start using it ...

That should be the major worry. Why? First off she is a beginner and that 410 have no IS she may feel that the E-620 is better with IS. Then there is the grip. The 420 again is without the grip making holding for long periods uncomfortable. Lastly, Ladies tend to have a better eye for abstract photography..they notice the little details that we men tend to sometimes ignore ot not notice...So what I am driving at..SHE may want that E-620 instead..leaving you with the E-410 KAKAKAKA!!!!:D

EH1
3rd October 2009, 12:02 PM
If your wife takes the E-410 then you won`t have a back-up camera! :eek: .............................................so perhaps you need to get the E-30 aswell! :rolleyes::D

Ellie
3rd October 2009, 03:51 PM
Wow, what a lot of help, thanks :)

I've read Wrotniak's reviews as well as those on Biofos, but agree they don't make much sense until the camera's actually in your hands - and that's what counts really.

I tried the E-620 and with 70-300 and 50-200 and was totally surprised. It seemed really well balanced.
That's worth knowing, because the 70-300 on the E-400 is a bit lens-heavy.

The 420 again is without the grip making holding for long periods uncomfortable.
I've got the E400, which I think is flatter than the later models. I haven't found the shape a problem, which might be because I've never used a camera with a large grip.

Batman
4th October 2009, 06:03 PM
Ellie,

You should handle both before making a decision, with the 70-300 fitted! I did this. I think you have already got that message though. Also, remember that the E-30 has some other advantages. Even the built in 'spirit level' I find to be useful. I see that yesterday Jessops still had their low price displayed and now I believe that you can get a free Flash from Olympus. I haven't checked on the procedure but can never have too many flash units. Part of me wishes I had waited.

I'm sure that the E-620 is a great camera, and if weight is an issue, then that might be the one to go for. I don't really notice much weight difference between the E-520 and E-30, but the E-30 just feels good.

blu-by-u
5th October 2009, 02:26 AM
I've got the E400, which I think is flatter than the later models. I haven't found the shape a problem, which might be because I've never used a camera with a large grip.

My E-330, I got my little pinky dangling at the bottom of the camera. Not a big problem. I actually got used to it after 3 years of use. When I switch over to that E-620, I got my last 2 finger dangling from the bottom. Not much grip. So I added the vertical grip..Now I have another problem..the camera with my "kit lens" won't fit into my camera bag :(