PDA

View Full Version : Uniross BLS1 Equivalent

jamie allan
28th September 2009, 01:00 PM
Has anyone used one of these? If so have you noticed a quick drop off in power. I bought this on the recommendation that it was the nearest to the far more expensive Olympus one and much better than a lot of those from Hong Kong/China. I've just had the first depletion in charge whilst using it in my e410 with my 70-300mm lens. It just suddenly died - no indication. I popped in the charged original and the camera works fine. When the original depletes it's charge I get an indicator on the camera to say that the battery power is low but didn't see it this time. It certainly hasn't lasted for anywhere near as many shots as the original. I don't use it for flash - I bought an FL-36, and I don't really use live view.
Any suggestions?
Jamie

EH1
28th September 2009, 01:22 PM
It could be a faulty battery! Where did you buy it? Could you take it back to exchange it?

jamie allan
28th September 2009, 02:33 PM
Edward,
I bought it online fom BatteryLogic. It comes with a 2 year warranty so it shouldn't be a problem if it was faulty. However, it does appear to work and has been in my camera for a number of days. I don't think they'd accept a lower shot count as indicative of a fault. It's just the fact that it gave me no indication of low battery I wondered if it didn't present the same indicators to the camera.
Jamie

jdal
28th September 2009, 03:40 PM
I use a couple of these, and have never had a problem, it does sound like you have a faulty one. This (http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm)page of tests is often quoted, it makes for interesting reading.

Invicta
28th September 2009, 05:45 PM
I use the Uniross equivalents and I noticed that they don't last as long as the Olympus originals but they do hold their charge longer when unused.

I do get the low warning with the Uniross batteries so it does sound like you have a faulty one.

smartwombat
28th September 2009, 08:22 PM
I got a Hahnel equivalent, and it's slightly lower capacity (1000mAh not 1100mAh I think).

StephenL
29th September 2009, 09:38 AM
How long have you had it and how many charges have you put it through? They usually need a couple of cycles to acheive their maximum performance.

I have an Inov8, of 1000mAh, with (so far) no problems.

jamie allan
29th September 2009, 02:48 PM
Stephen,
I've only had the battery for a month or so and this is it's first charge depletion. I've recharged it last night and checked that it charged OK. I'll try it again.
Thanks
Jamie

Ian
29th September 2009, 03:47 PM
Li Ion batteries improve after a few charge cycles.

Ian

Steve Lane
30th September 2009, 10:03 AM
Hi Jamie,

I think you must have a faulty one. I have been using them for a few years now, and they hold their charge as good as the original Olympus BLM-1's. I deal with Battery Logic too - they are nice people. I am sure you will have no trouble getting it swapped out.

Cheers, Steve.