PDA

View Full Version : sharpening

sapper
23rd September 2009, 10:54 AM
Some time ago I posted about a project to take pics in London for someone emigrating, they will be printed in New Zealand.
I did the shoot last week and am have started to process them.

My question is, should I sharpen them for printing or leave it to the lab in NZ. I have no idea who will print them.

shenstone
23rd September 2009, 12:01 PM
Personally I'd do everything you want to them such that they just have to get the colours right

I'd indicated that they should not do any further processing, but they will probaly decide they now better

Regards
Andy

EH1
23rd September 2009, 12:06 PM
Dave, I totally agree with Andy. They are YOUR pictures, so YOU must get them looking how you want them to look, before sending them. After all it`s your reputation at stake! ;)

sapper
23rd September 2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks Andy & Edward. I will probably do as you suggest.

StephenL
23rd September 2009, 12:50 PM
Any harm in asking them?

sapper
23rd September 2009, 12:56 PM
Any harm in asking them?
I don't know what lab will be doing the printing. I don't suppose the person who will get the CD knows who will make the prints yet either.

Graham_of_Rainham
23rd September 2009, 01:06 PM
<snip>
should I sharpen them for printing or leave it to the lab in NZ. I have no idea who will print them.

The processing that you apply to any image will be done with a specific end media in mind. For display on a 1024 x 768 screen, the end image will be very different to that for printing at A3. I often change an image for specific paper types, so not knowing the end media, is very similar to presenting an image to a graphic artist for use in a magazine, brochure, whatever...

I'd go for sending your finished images in jpgs, with a small print to show the finished image on the paper of your choice and include the RAW files for them to use to achieve the same quality of picture.

Some people don't supply RAW files, I see them as no different to the transparencies that were supplied to the client for publication.

*chr